Anyone keeping up with Mad Men?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Anyone keeping up with Mad Men?

Postby Future Man » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:26 am

They need to veer off whatever this thing is with Betty and the neighborhood kid pronto. Thoughts?
Future Man
County Attorney

Re: Anyone keeping up with Mad Men?

Postby Belmondo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:13 am

Future Man wrote:They need to veer off whatever this thing is with Betty and the neighborhood kid pronto. Thoughts?

Agree. Too much with the wife and not enough with the ensemble cast and the other women who are more interesting to me. Still like the show, but, so far, not as good as the first season.
I missed the first season when it aired, got the DVD's and watched it all over a few mights. For me, this is a much better way to enjoy any series.
Still like the early 60's vibe and many other aspects of the show so I'll keep watching.
Belmondo
City Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 am

I agree also, that kid is just creepy. Betty's friendliness to him is just sending the wrong message and reinforcing his behavior.

Saw some special features on the Season 1 DVDs that talk about how they try to stay true to the period with all the props. I have only seen two discrepancies so far, the secretaries had IBM Selectric typewriters in the pilot episode (set in 1960), those were not released until 1961. Also, they were playing the song "Sukiyaki" in the Japanese restaurant when Draper dumped the Mohawk Airlines account. That song didn't make it big in the US until 1963.

Anyone else notice any goofs?

Two cool things I noticed - Draper has an electric pencil sharpener on his desk (the round one with a transparent green dome). My folks got me the exact same sharpener when I was in grade school! And in last Sunday's episode they mentioned my company (Aerojet)!!! When Pete was running through all the California aerospace firms at the beginning of the show. We are one of the few that hasn't been gobbled up by the big hitters.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby futilitarian » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 am

Future Man wrote:They need to veer off whatever this thing is with Betty and the neighborhood kid pronto. Thoughts?

Ten episodes in and it's the first reintroduction of the kid since last season (I guess, I missed an episode). It's not as if they are driving that story-line into the ground. I think Glenn was a way to bring back his mother to give Betty someone to confide in about her domestic troubles in a way she can't talk to her "traditional" friends and neighbors. Glenn hates Betty now, because of calling the mom, so you probably won't have to experience anymore the weird connection between them.
futilitarian
Paralegal

Postby FrankB » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:34 am

I disagree, re: not as good as last season.

How did HBO ever pass this show up?
Frank B/Laguna Niguel, Calif.
FrankB
Law Clerk

Postby azul017 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 pm

FrankB wrote:I disagree, re: not as good as last season.

How did HBO ever pass this show up?

... not enough sex and violence?
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 pm

A truly great season finale--redeemed the previous few shows which were lacking. But now we have to wait 10 months or so for the next season?
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby FrankB » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 am

Yep, agreed. The season finale will bag the show some more Emmys.

But the looooooong wait is upon us for Season III . . . .
Frank B/Laguna Niguel, Calif.
FrankB
Law Clerk

Return to Television