The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Gobear » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:43 pm

According to the BBC, David Tennant is quitting Doctor Who. He'll complete the four special episodes for 2009, but Season 5 will have a new Doctor.

FTFA: "Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said. "
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."--Edward Abbey
User avatar
Gobear
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:43 am

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm sad to see him go as well Gobear. Tennant was the best of all possible Doctors. I'm a little surprised he is leaving but then again I'm not. Given the success he has enjoyed with Hamlet, his open desire to make films and the logic of bowing out with RST it makes a lot of sense but part of me thought Tennant's often expressed love for the show would keep him around at least one more series. Still, maybe it all for the best and I would be curious to know what Moffat really thinks about the departure. I guess the endless speculation can now begin as to who Doctor 11 will end up being. I also guess this closes the door on seeing more of Dr. River Song which also makes me sad.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Dave Ryan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 am

I never thought I'd think that there could possibly be a better Doctor than Tom Baker.

Until David Tennant came along.

:(
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
User avatar
Dave Ryan
Judge
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Sudbury, MA

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:04 pm

It sucks, but as always, the show will go on. I just doubt we'll evr have as big a fan boy as Tennant in the role :(
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:40 pm

No one asked but hey.....my choices for best Time Lord 10 through 1.....
10.Paul McGann
9.Colin Baker
8.William Hartnell
7.Sylvester McCoy
6.Christopher Eccleston
5.Peter Davison
4.Jon Pertwee
3.Patrick Troughton
2.Tom Baker
1.David Tennant

McGann simply didn't play the Doctor enough to warrant any higher...Colin Baker's run suffered from Eric Seward and not enough time for their concept of his Doctor to mellow out and become you know, likeable. Hartnell is a little too gruff at times for me. McCoy I like the more I see of him. I don't think Eccleston spent enough time in the role to really make it his and Davison suffered from too much bad writing and John Nathan-Turner trying to update the show too much. Pertwee has grown on me, Troughton I just like as an actor a whole lot and think that what he did with the role was pretty interesting while the Tom Baker & David Tennant ranking could just as easily be flip-flopped depending on my mood. Anyway, long story short....Moffatt has some big shoes to fill when he casts Doctor number 11. Personally I could live with James Nesbitt but would really love to see Bill Nighy.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:11 pm

I heard a rumor that in one of the upcoming 4 specials that McGann will return as the Doctor and it will be dealing with the Time War.
But then another rumor shot that one down.
I think that it would be cool though.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
User avatar
Dark Knight
City Attorney
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: the 'burgh

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 pm

Damn right it would be. Give me a six part Time War that starts out with McGann for the better part of the show and finishes with Eccleston having to sacrifice his own people.
Dark Knight wrote:I heard a rumor that in one of the upcoming 4 specials that McGann will return as the Doctor and it will be dealing with the Time War.
But then another rumor shot that one down.
I think that it would be cool though.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:52 am

HGervais wrote:No one asked but hey.....my choices for best Time Lord 10 through 1.....
10.Paul McGann
9.Colin Baker
8.William Hartnell
7.Sylvester McCoy
6.Christopher Eccleston
5.Peter Davison
4.Jon Pertwee
3.Patrick Troughton
2.Tom Baker
1.David Tennant

McGann simply didn't play the Doctor enough to warrant any higher...Colin Baker's run suffered from Eric Seward and not enough time for their concept of his Doctor to mellow out and become you know, likeable. Hartnell is a little too gruff at times for me. McCoy I like the more I see of him. I don't think Eccleston spent enough time in the role to really make it his and Davison suffered from too much bad writing and John Nathan-Turner trying to update the show too much. Pertwee has grown on me, Troughton I just like as an actor a whole lot and think that what he did with the role was pretty interesting while the Tom Baker & David Tennant ranking could just as easily be flip-flopped depending on my mood. Anyway, long story short....Moffatt has some big shoes to fill when he casts Doctor number 11. Personally I could live with James Nesbitt but would really love to see Bill Nighy.


Ah yes, the fav Doctor's list. My selections:

1: Sylvester McCoy
2: Christopher Eccleston
3: TIE - David Tennant / Patrick Troughton
4: Colin Baker
5: Peter Davison
6: William Hartnell
7: Tom Baker
8: Paul McGann
9: Jon Pertwee
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby dhanarajesh1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:34 am

Nice collection of list
dhanarajesh1
Law Clerk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 am

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 am

I thought Tennant did a fine job, balancing the humor and drama of the part with great success. I just had a problem with some of the material he had to work with. The "lonely, lovelorn Doctor" plotline was driven right into the ground, past the Earth's crust and into the mantle (like McCoy and the Cartmel "The Doctor Controls the Universe" theme). And "Love & Monsters" was close to "Spock's Brain" territory. Still, "School Reunion" more than makes up for it. He had a good run and 3-4 years tends to be the average.

As for the next Doctor, I just hope the next actor (or actress) they cast is selected based on acting ability rather than marquee value. The show has been very good about that, though, so I'm not too worried.

Side note: One good thing about the audio stories is that they've allowed past Doctors Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann to really expand on their characters in ways the TV series didn't offer. Actually, now McGann has more stories than Eccleston and Tennant combined.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:38 am
Location: Piscataway, NJ

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Kenneth Morgan wrote:Side note: One good thing about the audio stories is that they've allowed past Doctors Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann to really expand on their characters in ways the TV series didn't offer. Actually, now McGann has more stories than Eccleston and Tennant combined.

Very true....hmmmmm.....maybe we will get those 10th Doctor/River Song adventures one day. Tennant hasn't exactly been shy of doing all things Doctor related....maybe he can be convinced to start working with Big Finish.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm

HGervais wrote:
Kenneth Morgan wrote:Side note: One good thing about the audio stories is that they've allowed past Doctors Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann to really expand on their characters in ways the TV series didn't offer. Actually, now McGann has more stories than Eccleston and Tennant combined.

Very true....hmmmmm.....maybe we will get those 10th Doctor/River Song adventures one day. Tennant hasn't exactly been shy of doing all things Doctor related....maybe he can be convinced to start working with Big Finish.


The only problem is that the BBC has refused to give the licence for the new series to Big Finish, which is why they have not been able to make any reference to the new series (well, not directly) thus far. I hope for it to happen one day though, so as to hear the lost adventures of the Ninth Doctor :D
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:19 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:
Kenneth Morgan wrote:Side note: One good thing about the audio stories is that they've allowed past Doctors Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann to really expand on their characters in ways the TV series didn't offer. Actually, now McGann has more stories than Eccleston and Tennant combined.

Very true....hmmmmm.....maybe we will get those 10th Doctor/River Song adventures one day. Tennant hasn't exactly been shy of doing all things Doctor related....maybe he can be convinced to start working with Big Finish.


The only problem is that the BBC has refused to give the licence for the new series to Big Finish, which is why they have not been able to make any reference to the new series (well, not directly) thus far. I hope for it to happen one day though, so as to hear the lost adventures of the Ninth Doctor :D


It's a shame that this is a problem, particularly since, as I understand it, Eccleston would be interested in doing some audio stories.

Still, the fact that the possibility exists makes me glad the U.K. didn't let audio drama pass away like the U.S. did ("Star Wars" and "Unshackled", notwithstanding).
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:38 am
Location: Piscataway, NJ

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:28 pm

An interesting insight to what might be Moffatt's thinking on casting Doctor 11 from Gallifrey One:

An article appearing in The Sun quotes comments incoming showrunner Steven Moffat made to Doctor Who Magazine in 1999, using them to suggest that the casting of the next Doctor could go to an older actor.

Moffat is quoted as saying: "Although I loved Peter Davison and Paul McGann, probably the best two actors in the role, I don’t think young, dashing Doctors are right at all.

"He should be 40-plus and weird-looking — the kind of wacky grandfather kids know on sight to be secretly one of them."

The article also speculates that the next lead actor will be well-known, quoting Moffat as having said: "Any actor with the ‘right stuff’ is unlikely to be a complete unknown."

David Tennant continues in the role of the Doctor through the 2009 television specials and a new Doctor will be introduced when Moffat takes the reins in 2010.


Bill Nighy please.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:40 pm

I saw this in a talk back on aintitcool.com:
"Doctor Who will become Doctor Two this Christmas, when the Time Lord meets a future version of himself. Show creator Russell T Davies revealed: “The real heart of it is the beginning. The Doctor arrives, hears a damsel in distress, he steps forward to save her when this other man swings in, dashing, brilliant, amazing, clever, witty, saves the day. The Doctor says: ‘Who are you?’ The man says, ‘I’m the Doctor!’ The Doctor becomes his companion. There will be a beautiful woman too, of course, but really it’s the Doctor paired with a new Doctor". David Morrissey plays Time Lord No 2 in the festive episode called The Next Doctor. Russell added the next series of the hit BBC1 show would be sexier under new lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat. Russell, who is stepping aside, added: “Look at Steven — he’s a writer clearly driven by sex.”

So it's possible that this guy Morrissey could be the "Next Doctor", or this could maybe not. Some are speculating he will be. I'm thinking it's just for this special and is just a tease to make the fans, well, speculate.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
User avatar
Dark Knight
City Attorney
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: the 'burgh

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Kenneth Morgan wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:
HGervais wrote:
Kenneth Morgan wrote:Side note: One good thing about the audio stories is that they've allowed past Doctors Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann to really expand on their characters in ways the TV series didn't offer. Actually, now McGann has more stories than Eccleston and Tennant combined.

Very true....hmmmmm.....maybe we will get those 10th Doctor/River Song adventures one day. Tennant hasn't exactly been shy of doing all things Doctor related....maybe he can be convinced to start working with Big Finish.


The only problem is that the BBC has refused to give the licence for the new series to Big Finish, which is why they have not been able to make any reference to the new series (well, not directly) thus far. I hope for it to happen one day though, so as to hear the lost adventures of the Ninth Doctor :D


It's a shame that this is a problem, particularly since, as I understand it, Eccleston would be interested in doing some audio stories.

Still, the fact that the possibility exists makes me glad the U.K. didn't let audio drama pass away like the U.S. did ("Star Wars" and "Unshackled", notwithstanding).


Agreed. And Stephen King claims that the audio play is dead :)
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Teaser trailer for the 2008 Christmas Special right here.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:14 am

HGervais wrote:Teaser trailer for the 2008 Christmas Special right here.

I have to agree with those two comments hoping for original Cybermen and not the alternate universe ones.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
User avatar
Boba Fett
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Oregon

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby HGervais » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 am

The first two minutes or so of the 2008 Christmas Special, "The Next Doctor", right here.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:07 am

HGervais wrote:David Tennant continues in the role of the Doctor through the 2009 television specials and a new Doctor will be introduced when Moffat takes the reins in 2010.[/color]

Bill Nighy please.

OK, forgive a total newbie when it comes to Doctor Who (just finished episode 5 with Eccleston), but Bill Nighy would be ever so cool.
The likes: The ever-so-Britishness of the show, the outlandish plots (the end of the Earth, and it's a party?, Charles Dickens and the living dead?), the silly/serious switches, Billie Piper, the still very moderate budget (I understand the early shows were really done on the cheap), good TV doesn't have to cost millions.
The dis-likes: The music, cheesy synthesizers don't do it for me. The, uh, less than stellar acting from a few of the guests, which is sad because the guy who played Dickens was outstanding, but it seems like most of the bit players are pretty weak, like her mother. And finally, from what I understand Eccleston is only on board for four more episodes and he was done with the role? WTF? He seems really good in it, and his sense of humour seems perfect for it. I guess I'll have to see if the next guy is all that and a bag of crisps......
Now if I can find a place that rents the earlier ones, Scarecrow has some of it, but it's mostly VHS, and you have to put a deposit on OOP VHS.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
User avatar
Dunnyman
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Tenth Doctor Enters the TARDIS for the Last Time

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:07 am

HGervais wrote:The first two minutes or so of the 2008 Christmas Special, "The Next Doctor", right here.


That was awesome.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA


Return to Television

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron