Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 (spoilers)

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 (spoilers)

Postby Boba Fett » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:17 am

Well, I just got done watching the this year's Christmas Special, The Next Doctor.

I found it very enjoyable, not the best special, but very solid. I liked the focus more on Morrisey's character than the Cybermen, and I'm glad it appears he won't be taking over in the future as the Doctor. I was a bit skeptical of another Cybermen story, but it was handled very well. The nod to the past Doctors was pretty awesome, but the best moment had to come at the end when the Doctor finally admits that his heart keeps getting broken by people leaving him. The only negative was there was no preview of any of the special coming out in 2009; I can only assume it's due to a lack of any filming.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Re: Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 (spoilers)

Postby Boba Fett » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:54 am

Ooh, now this is exciting news
http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/12/24 ... 2-doctors/

I'm going with a longshot here and say they're finally gonna get Tom Baker to do an appearance.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 am

Boba Fett wrote: The only negative was there was no preview of any of the special coming out in 2009; I can only assume it's due to a lack of any filming.

Correct. Filming is due to start late next month providing Tennant's recent back surgery, which has caused him to miss most of the West End run of Hamlet, doesn't slow him down too much. I believe transmission date for Planet of the Dead is Easter.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:04 pm

I just finished watching "The Next Doctor". I also enjoyed it very much.
I thought the effects were done very nicely and it was a cool story.
Harold, I also heard the next one is suppose to be aired around easter.
Bummer that we'll have to wait that long and then it will be for just another special, not the beginning of a new season.
But I'll take what I can get.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:38 am

I don't know....I think this is easily my favorite of the four Christmas specials. It's quieter in tone & scope, which works in its favor and I thought it had some real emotional power that came about honestly. I also kind of like a Doctor Who influenced in equal parts by steampunk & The Temple of Doom. I liked how The Doctor starts out as the companion before shifting into his natural role. I loved the f/x, especially the Cyber dreadnaught. I liked Miss Harrigan as a character and in execution. David Morrissey is one of the greatest working English actors of the moment and he hit every single note.....and seeing Tennant & him together really screams for people to track down thier previous project together, the BBC production of Blackpool. Tennant was as always a joy and his speech about always having his heart broken was one of the single best moments in this new era of Who. I really think I loved this Christmas Special.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:05 pm

I watched it two more times and I also think this is my favorite Christmas episode as well.
Great story, acting, effects, the whole works. Just as Harold said.
Props also to Velile Tshabalala, who played Rosita, the other companion. I thought
she did a great job. You really thought that her and the "next Doctor" had been hanging
out with each other for a good while.
Now I'm gonna have to find "Blackpool".
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Return to Television