Poll: choose which TV-on-DVD show I should watch

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Which TV-on-DVD Show Should I Watch First?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:26 pm

1. Arrested Development
71%
2. Bones
No votes
3. Dead Like Me
No votes
4. Greatest American Hero
7%
5. Joan of Arcadia
No votes
6. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
21%
7. Veronica Mars
No votes
8. Wonderfalls
No votes

Total votes : 14

Poll: choose which TV-on-DVD show I should watch

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu May 28, 2009 1:26 pm

The Box Sets are purchased already and gathering dust in my shelf (in the case of "Bones" and "Greatest American Hero" I have the first two seasons of each show; the others are complete series). I have not seen a single episode of these listed-in-alphabetical-order series (except for the "Nightstalker" made-for-TV movies that preceded the "Kolchak" TV show) but I read enough about all of them to at least feel the need to grab and own them. I got these Box Sets at sales or discount stores over the past year so it's now time for the Verdict folks to guide me as to which of these series should I unwrap and start watching in earnest. The poll lasts a week-and-a-half and whichever shows comes on top I'll make the commitment to start viewing immediately. I'll write about the show I watch in the June 'Watching' thread on the 'Movies' section but the comments you post below might also influence me to watch the others (either later or in conjunction). And yes, you can ask folks from the other section of the Verdict's kingdom to vote for your favorite show if they're not the type that frequents the relatively-new TV forum. Hey, it's summer and I'm gonna have some free time.

No spoilers for these shows, please! I'll be going into them a virgin so don't ruin the surprises. Go ahead punks, make my week! 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Poll: choose which TV-on-DVD show I should watch

Postby Ptolemy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:09 pm

why just one? It's summer and you have spare time. I'd try to watch 3 instead of just 1
Elvis Presley was a model citizen. I've compiled a list of his traits for you to practice. Number one...is dancing!
Ptolemy
City Attorney

Postby Stubblecat » Thu May 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Another vote for Arrested Development from me. If you like 30 Rock, then you'll love the Bluth clan.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Thu May 28, 2009 3:46 pm

At the risk of being contrary, I'm going with "Kolchak" on this one.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu May 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Arrested Development. Hands down.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu May 28, 2009 4:10 pm

AD for the win.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu May 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Ptolemy wrote:why just one? It's summer and you have spare time. I'd try to watch 3 instead of just 1

I'll think about it. It's a big time committment and shorter series (like "Wonderfalls" or "Kolchak") are easier than multi-season one's, but that's why I want to read what people post besides just the vote.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:27 pm

You'll be amazed at how fast they can go by though once you get commited to them. I'm like you in that something can sit forever unwatched, but once I start a TV series I can usually find time to finish it. Even the odd ones like iCarly that netflix for some bizare reason suggested to me. I though I'd hate it but it's actually funny and I've been streaming an episode or four every night.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Thu May 28, 2009 8:42 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:You'll be amazed at how fast they can go by though once you get commited to them. I'm like you in that something can sit forever unwatched, but once I start a TV series I can usually find time to finish it. Even the odd ones like iCarly that netflix for some bizare reason suggested to me. I though I'd hate it but it's actually funny and I've been streaming an episode or four every night.

iCarly? We're talking about the actual iCarly here, right? :shock: I mean, I guess I'm glad someone out there is getting some enjoyment out of it.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu May 28, 2009 9:30 pm

^^^ Hey, I've been watching old "Secret World of Alex Mack" episodes over the past few days. Still love them. I'm not an "iCarly" fan (never seen it actually) but who are we to criticize mkiker2089's tastes? These are shows 'for all ages' and 'for the entire family,' not 'kids only' or 'older people go away.' 8)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 pm

It's strange I know. No one was more surprised than me. I was rating things I liked and started putting in BBC comedies. I guess between that, mystery TV like Columbo, family movies and perhaps other concoctions that I don't understand Netflix pulled iCarly out of it's hat. I thought "what the heck are they thinking" (but a stronger word than heck). I only watched one to test the instant que out and give me a legitimate reason to give something the dreaded one star review.

I will never doubt netflix again. Escapist fun can be good.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 pm

AD with Kolchak & Wonderfalls close behind.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Kolchak!
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri May 29, 2009 8:37 am

While we're at it, anybody notice any trend and/or shared theme between all these shows? There's a clear tilt toward the supernatural and/or lite sci-fi (or religious sci-fi in the case of "Joan or Arcadia") but there's also procedurals ("Bones" and "Veronica Mars") and even one sitcom ("AD"), a genre that I've never been able to enjoy. What do all these shows have in common?
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dave Johnson » Fri May 29, 2009 9:28 am

For my money, Veronica Mars Season 1 is as close as you can get to a perfect season of television.

But yeah, Arrested Development is so good it should be viewed by plant life.
Dave Johnson
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:19 pm

Looks like "Arrested Development" is it. Will try to give the other shows a shot but "AD" gets first dibs. 8)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Arcadia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Joan of Arcadia for sure. Loved the show. It did an amazing job developing the deep story lines with a stellar cast. Cancelling it was a mistake!!! ;-)
Arcadia
Law Clerk

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:34 am

I ended up giving my sister the "Arrested Development" DVD Box Sets as a Christmas gift last year and she and her boyfriend love it. They're big "Office" fans and this show is right up their alley. I just couldn't even muster the strength to open the package so "AD" ended up in a better home than mine (i.e. someone is actually watching the DVD's). "Arcadia" I want to see bad, just haven't found the time to get going. Too many "Law & Order" repeats and World Cup soccer matches to keep track of. ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 pm

While Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me are both excellent, go with the one and only Pushing Daisies....then go into a rage because the moron network killed it before it had a chance to shine....
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Return to Television