Is Anybody Really Going to Buy "Small Wonder"?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Is Anybody Really Going to Buy "Small Wonder"?

Postby ckulik » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Hailed by some as the worst sitcom in television history, Small Wonder (1985-1989) is going to come to DVD on February 16, 2010. Basically, its about an inventor who creates a little female robot named V.I.C.I. who creates havoc in the household. I'm not denying I saw this show when I was a kid, but it somehow seems criminal that we have to deal with slop like this while The Wonder Years and Batman are still having trouble being released. Is anybody truly going to pick this up?

http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257089
ckulik
Law Clerk

Re: Is Anybody Really Going to Buy "Small Wonder"?

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 pm

The big problem is SMALL WONDER is cheap to put out there. It has no licensing fees attached to its music like THE WONDER YEARS, and it is not the subject of a horrible legal battle like the BATMAN TV episodes.

No matter how lame the show was it will have fans. I used to pretend I was VICI, or at least her brother... I can to this day still do a dead-on impersonation of her. Terrible show, but will have nostalgia value. But yes, we are getting down to the scraps and bits leftover from any television era....
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Never liked or cared for the show but it ran four seasons. Someone out there liked it. :(
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Never liked or cared for the show but it ran four seasons. Someone out there liked it. :(

Back then cable was less immersed and many of us watched what was one when we sat down. That and the neilson's have never been accurate so who knows who really watches what.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby booklover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:16 am

I agree that it's frustrating to see something like "Small Wonder" be released, when there's still so many other sitcoms that haven't seen the light of day:

Car 54, Where Are You?
C.P.O. Sharkey
Bob Newahart Show (seasons 5 and 6)
The George Carlin Show
Tracey Ullman
Batman

And so on. But obviously there's a demand for "Small Wonder" or it wouldn't be released. So, good for those fans, while the rest of us just have to wait and see.
booklover
City Attorney

Postby jcankerhuxley » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:17 am

What is interesting is that Shout Factory! (the ones who released SCTV, Dick Cavett, Freeks and Geeks and other cool stuff), is the one releasing this mess. Must have fallen on hard times or needs a quick buck.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby mhansen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 pm

BrettCullum wrote: used to pretend I was VICI, or at least her brother... I can to this day still do a dead-on impersonation of her.

We want video!
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Return to Television