What is your favorite tv show(s)?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

What is your favorite tv show(s)?

Postby alton » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 am

I like the black comedy + violent world of mobster + adult-drama series "The Sopranos", and it is my all-time favorite tv show. The "Lost" also intriguing, but slowly after second season the mysterious cult, the strange black smoke, and other series of unusual series of event felt forced along with the plot development. I am not sure would keep following into third and fourth seasons.

The best comedy-drama should be "Desperate Housewives". I rent the first/second seasons, which are great but i heard the quality of story deteriorated in later season, so i never follow up with the third season. Now i'm following the story of Jack Baeur in "24". It has plot that never run out of new twist, or lie or conspiracy. It suffered from several overly dramatic scenes and implausible stories. Still, it's hilarious seeing Jack Bauer threatening & interrogating a school girl to get information regarding her father cum terrorist.
alton
Law Clerk

Re: What is your favorite tv show(s)?

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:54 am

Deadwood - Amazing stuff. So textured, with a great cast of characters and some fantastic writing.
Rome - never has there been a more intriguing depiction of the Empire cum Republic. And without all the stuffiness one would come to expect.
The X-Files - the first three seasons of this show was some of the best network television ever conceived, and it still holds up incredibly well today. Every season has episodes worth watching, but when "the mythology" took over, and the cast started getting bored around season 7, things did slide for sure.
Battlestar Galactica - Sci-fi epic that plays out fantastically over the span of its five seasons. Unlike so many other shows out there (*cough* Lost *cough*), it's clear that Ron Moore had a plan.
Band of Brothers - Does this really count, or would you call it more an epic length mini series? Either way, amazing show. Goes so far beyond just about anything else with regards to film centered on the second world war.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:03 am

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - I so agree with you in that the first year was just awesome, but after that... it really screwed up the characters and what drove each of them. It is the best cast on television, but they are largely wasted on material that never lives up to the brilliant first year. But ah, the first season is a gold standard for how to do it right!

LOST - Again, a show that has never quite lived up to its first year. That initial season was so well paced and damn scary. Now? Well... I think Steve's coughing is the tell tale sign that it seems they are making this crap up as we go along.

TWIN PEAKS - The first year and a half again are impeccable. It falters after that, but seemed to just get interesting again as it signed off. Still, a true mixture of the cinematic and strange that only Lynch could provide for television.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT - A truly funny sitcom which is rare.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - If you can pretend the series ends at season three's finale then you'd have the most brazenly perfect teen thrillride ever made. Too bad they went on for four more years driving a stake through the goodwill of those years. But season two remains one of the best things I have seen on television.

PROFIT - Canceled because it was a show before it's time. Nobody wanted to believe that people high up in coporate America could be so nasty! I loved the image of a buttoned up perfect yuppie heading home to sleep naked in a cardboard box. That's some brave television!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm

South Park: After 13 seasons, South Park still combines sharp political satire, celebrity bashing, & gross-out humor in one great package. As a Right-Wing nutcase, I like that it makes fun of liberals as much as conservatives. I must admit Seasons 1 & 2 hasn’t aged very well.

Burn Notice: My favorite action/spy show on TV. Everything works: The comedy, the acting (Bruce Campbell being Bruce FREAKIN Campbell), the Fiona/Michael on again off again romance, the action, writing, villains, & Miami, FL has never looked better. I’m looking forward to the new episodes in a few weeks.

Hell's Kitchen: A guilty pleasure. I know its reality TV trash where you learn nothing about cooking. After all these years, I still get a kick out of Gordon Ramsay screaming & cursing out all the wannabe cooks.

24: I wished it would’ve ended after Season 5 & then they could’ve made the hardcore R-rated movie we all wanted to see. Instead, 24 is just treading water now.

Alias: The first two seasons did a great job of mixing all the sci-fi elements, spy stuff, crazy plot twists, & Sydney’s messed up family. It had a strong cast with Victor Garber stealing every scene as Syd’s ruthless agent dad. Unfortunately, they had to hit the reset button in Season 3 & I like to pretend that Seasons 3 & 4 never happened. At least Season 5 finished up OK.

La Femme Nikita: Even better than 24, it was more edgy, darker, & had ruthless people so determined to stop the terrorists, they would use tactics that make even Jack Bauer cringe. It knew when to call it quits after 5 seasons. It didn’t have a ticking clock, but it didn’t have Kim Bauer either.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Eric Profancik » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:04 am

Here are my current faves, in no particular order:

The Big Bang Theory
Doctor Who
Better of Ted
Top Gear

I watch way more than that, but these give me constant joy when they are on.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Paul Kile » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 am

I agree with Eric on Top Gear, that show has my wife and I rolling in the aisles. My only concern is that BBC America viewers are being scammed. To cram in the endless stream of awful commercials for US broadcast, they chop at least 5 minutes out of each episode. This is obvious when you see a long challenge segment that ends abruptly without any "debrief" in front of the studio audience. We also often lose out on the News segment, which is usually chopped out if the guys have made any snarky comments toward the USA (lets face it, as an interesting car nation we ARE pretty lame).

More Current/Recent Faves:
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Eureka
Fringe

Classic Faves:
The Outer Limits (1963-64)
Science Fiction Theatre (1955-57)
WKRP In Cincinnati
Twelve O'Clock High
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

I still am a fan of the older shows....(wow Seinfeld is now an older show to some extent)

Seinfeld
All in the Family
The Rockford Files
Hawaii Five-0
The Sopranos
Weeds
David Letterman...particularly in the NBC days
Star Trek TOS
Land of the Lost (hah)
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

1.- The Secret World of Alex Mack, Nickelodeon (when watched from beginning to end this series shows its true worth; it goes from stupid childish Nickelodeon live-action cartoon to a low-key dramedy about 'normal' young people growing up in American suburbia. Even the lead character's powers were deliberately underused and relegated to the background in the superior third and shortened fouth season to emphasize character development and -in the better standout episodes like "Triangle" and "Lies & Secrets"- honest-to-goodness true pathos. I love it, and the final shot of the "Paradise Lost" series finale is permanently etched in my mind forever! :))

2.- Law & Order/L&O: Special Victims Unit/L&O: Criminal Intent, NBC-USA Network (so sue me for cheating, I love all three shows equally. The "L&O" universe is such a cozy and recognizable place to lose yourself in for hours on end with settings, characters and convoluted crimes that are both somewhat believable while being extremely unreal. My day isn't complete without repeats of either show waiting in the DVR for me to come back from work)
3.- Mystery Science Theater 3000, Comedy Central/Sci-Fi ('nuff said)
4.- Late Night with David Letterman, NBC (from '82 to '93 the show was on a major creative roll with Letterman at his prime; Dave's been coasting ever since moving to CBS)
5.- The Incredible Hulk, CBS (best live action superhero TV show ever made, primarily because it focused on the weakling but honorable David Banner alter ego over the childish and brute Hulk shenanigans; I still cry when I hear the 'Lonely Man' piano theme song :( )
6.- Dexter, Showtime (best new show of the past decade; M.C. Hall's performance should have cleaned the Best Actor Emmy several times over but he still hasn't won yet. Seasons 3 keeps "Dexter" below my Top 5; when only sampling Seasons 1 & 2 it'd be near the top)
7.- Sailor Moon, Syndicated/DVD (my favorite anime of all time, a timeless and hilarious take on 'girly' romance cliches and fantasy taken both seriously and with heart but also a mischievous-without-being-dirty sense of humor. Other anime shows have followed, but Ms. Moon & friends remain my favorite anime crew to hang around with)
8.- The X-Files, Fox (when it was at its peak the personal drama and sparks from the Mulder-Scully relationship and their adventures was peerless. It couldn't help but run out of fuel after nine seasons -two of them quite pointless and redundant- but it's now part of our lives)
9.- The Sopranos, HBO (best acted drama of the Y2K decade but let's face it, the last two or three seasons were coasting on the far-superior first four seasons and that final episode was a letdown. Still great)
10.- South Park, Comedy Central (favorite animated comedy; last half-season of episodes proved to me Trey and Matt still got 'it' and can keep going for a few more years)
11.- Match Game, CBS/Syndicated/Game Show Network (funniest and most timeless gameshow ever made despite being firmly anchored in the 1970's; there will never be a group of people with the chemistry that Rayburn-Dawson-Reilly-Sommers had during the show's golden age)
12.- The Price is Right, CBS (even with Drew Carrey mugging for camera time and 37 years of history this remains the quintessential American gameshow institution: loud, colorful, materialistic to its core and always predictably unpredictable).

Honorable mentions: "Dream On," "Spider-Man '67," "Weeds," "Battlestar Galactica" (remake), "Jimmy Kimmel Live," "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman," "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," "Gunslinger Girls," "The Larry Sanders Show," "Firefly," "What's My Line?" (John Daly version from '50 to '67), "Heroes" (Seasons 1 and 4; 2 & 3 suck!), "Big Love," "Ranma 1/2," "Sports Night/Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (an Aaron Sorkin one-two punch), "Cardcaptor Sakura" and "The Amazing Race."
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Six Feet Under...as far as I can tell.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 am

tucco wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned Six Feet Under...as far as I can tell.

Hah! Now there was a show I was snookered into watching for its 5-year run, hoping it would get back to what it was for the first 2 years. The final episode was pretty good though, showcasing the death of all the characters.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby ckulik » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:03 am

Come on, guys...no love for Lucy??? Actually, since this seems to be mostly devoted to shows currently on the air, I'm going to have to go with Weeds, True Blood, and Brothers & Sisters. My fav classic shows are Lucy, Three's Company (you know...the shiznet comedy which Friends ripped off years later?), Are You Being Served?, Fawlty Towers, Bean, Little Britain, Mr. Belvedere and The Twilight Zone (both '60s original & '80s reimagining.)
ckulik
Law Clerk

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 am

Mystery Science Theater 3000
Seinfeld
Arrested Development
Spaced
Mr Show with Bob and David

Those are the titles that would occupy my top shelf. There are other shows I dig fiercely, but none hold a candle to those five. (And, no, Steve-O, I wouldn't count Band of Brothers as a TV show. But those who do can simply expand my list into an even half-dozen because BoB is 10 episodes of perfection).
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

ckulik wrote:Come on, guys...no love for Lucy???
I'm the exception but I liked "The Lucy Show" because I thought it was much funnier than "I Love Lucy." Lucy's spats with Mr. Mooney were so much funnier to me than her misunderstandings with Desi. :D
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Rome - never has there been a more intriguing depiction of the Empire cum Republic. And without all the stuffiness one would come to expect.

Rome was enjoyable, but was lightweight compared with I,Claudius which was on the BBC about thirty years ago. Based on the Robert Graves novels, it was a masterclass in writing and acting, and i would urge anyone to watch it if they come across it on a channel, video or DVD. Derek Jacobi's performance as Claudius and John Hurt as Caligula could not have been bettered - but then there was also Sian Phillips as Livia etc. Wonderful. From the same era, Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy and Smiley's People show that you don't need action, shouting, heartsleeve emotion or hysteria to achieve a really engrossing drama. Good writing, skilful direction and fine acting is all that is needed. Funny to think that Alec Guinness played so many memorable roles (Smiley being one of his finest) and yet everyone remembers him for being Obi-Wan Kanobe, which he did only for the money on auto-pilot. Fame is a capricious mistress.

It is a mystery to me why the BBC repeats so much unwatchable dross, when they have such treasure in their vaults. I can only think it is either a question of excessive royalties, a wrangle over ownership, or just that a generation of managers and producers at the BBC don't know the worth of their own stock.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Polynikes wrote:

Rome was enjoyable, but was lightweight compared with I,Claudius which was on the BBC about thirty years ago. Based on the Robert Graves novels, it was a masterclass in writing and acting, and i would urge anyone to watch it if they come across it on a channel, video or DVD. Derek Jacobi's performance as Claudius and John Hurt as Caligula could not have been bettered - but then there was also Sian Phillips as Livia etc. Wonderful. From the same era, Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy and Smiley's People show that you don't need action, shouting, heartsleeve emotion or hysteria to achieve a really engrossing drama. Good writing, skilful direction and fine acting is all that is needed. Funny to think that Alec Guinness played so many memorable roles (Smiley being one of his finest) and yet everyone remembers him for being Obi-Wan Kanobe, which he did only for the money on auto-pilot. Fame is a capricious mistress.

It is a mystery to me why the BBC repeats so much unwatchable dross, when they have such treasure in their vaults. I can only think it is either a question of excessive royalties, a wrangle over ownership, or just that a generation of managers and producers at the BBC don't know the worth of their own stock.

I've seen I, Clavdivs *wink*, and while the show came highly recommended, i found it to be a stodgy bore. Jacobi and Hurt are fantastic, but the roots of the show inherently cripple it out of the gate, especially when you stand it toe to toe with Rome.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 pm

In no particular order:

Seinfeld – Thanks to brilliant writing and the fantastic comedic talent of the four stars, and in large part to the writers’ steadfast commitment to the “no hugging, no learning” principle, remains the most re-watchable sitcom I have ever seen. It’s such credit to the writers and actors that they could make what are essentially four complete a-holes seem like the most likeable people in the world. Fantastic DVD sets too, particularly the “Notes about Nothing”: every DVD should have this feature!

The Simpsons - Not nearly as funny in the last ten seasons as it was in the first ten, but I remain a loyal fan and will forever! Plus they are some of the best DVD sets I have ever owned. Heaps of bonus stuff and commentaries on every episode (commentaries that are at least as funny as the episodes themselves, sometimes even more so)

The Tripods - UK sci-fi series from the 80’s based on John Christopher’s classic trilogy. Remains as compelling and enjoyable today as when it first aired. The fact they never completed the third and crucial season is a crime against good television and a real insult to loyal fans, but at the time it was the most expensive production the BBC had ever undertaken, and it just simply wasn’t pulling in the viewers like they’d hoped. Still well worth checking out though, particularly as Hollywood is currently toying with a remake

The Sopranos - One of the best series ever produced, hands down. It’s what happens when great writers, directors, and actors come together and give it their all. Brilliant stuff. And the much-derided final episode, in my opinion, is superb. The Sopranos never attempted to be “conventional” in any way, why have a conventional, clichéd, “tie up all the loose ends” finale?

Band of Brothers and The Pacific - The definitive dramatic retelling of US involvement in World War II. Rises above simply being superb television – they can go toe to toe with every war film ever made

The Big Bang Theory
– clever writing and good performances all round, good re-watch value

The Middle – again, clever writing and good performances, especially little Atticus Shaeffer as Brick Heck.

Two and a Half Men - Loved the first two seasons, but sadly since then it has been a steady decline into gross out humor and repeating the same tired old jokes again and again...and again. Why it continues to be so popular is a mystery to me

The West Wing - Astounding dialogue, likeable characters and solid storytelling. Really hit it’s stride in the 3rd and 4th seasons, although I thought it lost a bit when it moved from the halls of the White House to the campaign trail in the last season. But there are few television characters I became more attached to (and mourned the loss of) than Leo, played by the late, great, John Spencer. RIP.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

In no particular (or possible) order as they are all favorites for so many different reasons:
Big Bang Theory As a tech/nerd type, I appreciate the humour of these guys so not getting it, the writing is razor sharp, and the actors are all uniformly excellent. New cast member Miyiam Bialik has been an incredible addition to an already great group.
Modern Family This one will have legs for ages as once again, the actors are all incredible and the production team certainly knows how to make hits. As long as the writing standards stay so high, it'll be a monster.
Twilight Zone The original, of course, some of the greatest scripts ever for TV, and lightning in a bottle casting (hitting so many on the way up or way down), and making you really think. Possibly the first show to really do so.
Seinfeld It was about nothing, but it was so incredibly funny. The often bizarre circumstances that tied things together were brilliant, and quite believable. Never, ever, steal marbled rye, it may cost you someday.
Star Trek The original and TNG, made you think, while still delivering some credible action and thrills. Ye gods how excited we were to hear the theme music swell at 4 pm on KBHK growing up, everything stopped so we could watch.
Dexter If ten years ago you'd have told me I'd be cheering for a truly psychotic serial killer, I'd have called you insane. While it's starting run out of gas, it's still pretty damned good.
Monk I managed to come to terms with my (very mild) OCD as a result of seeing what someone with a horribly severe case of it could do. 8 glorious years of laughs, tears and cheers. Shalhoub SHOULD have 8 Emmys to go with it.
Pushing Daisies How...quirky. Oddly sweet, and touching, and it looked like nothing else on TV. I miss Ned, Chuck, Olive, Emerson and Digby.
Rockford Files Mom never missed an episode, and I missed very few. So much fun, and some great writing. There's really nobody like James Garner on TV anymore, is there?
SOAP If only all shows could be this funny and well cast. Still quoted by my family today, it'd be nice if they put some effort into the DVD releases instead of treating the show like crap.
Buffy I still don't get the universal condemnation of everything past season three, as Spike became a great character, Buffy had to grow up, Willow became so much more and they produced some of the funniest episodes ever. While it's not a comedy, I still give them points for it being good. If you wanna diss season seven, go ahead.
The Tudors Now THIS is how you tell a historical story!!! While they took some (incredible) liberties with the source, they made it exciting, and got out while it was still good.
The Dick Van Dyke Show, Yep, Lucy was...Lucy, but Rob could make me laugh like no one else. The legendary supporting cast, the writing, the ad libs that made it into the show, etc, etc. Freaking genius.
The Simpsons While the out and belly laughs of it's prime have become fewer, that fact that they can still get them (ie, Selma and Patty revealing that their gray hair is actually due to 'smoke and ash' and that they are actually a blonde and a redhead) is still pretty impressive after 21 seasons!!! Plus, the Treehouse of Horror is an institution!!!
okay, go ahead and laugh....Scooby Doo and various spin-offs, let's face it, a wise-cracking group of "meddling kids" and their dog are still fun (and funny) as they solve all kinds of mysteries, and no other show has ever poked so much fun at itself. Varying qualities of animation, a slew of big name (and not so big name) guest stars, a theme for the ages and numerous contributions to pop culture? An all time winner in my book.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby roselina » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 am

My favorite TV shows are:
Friends
The X-files
The sopranos
Doctor who
House
roselina
Law Clerk

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:32 am

TopGear has just recently taken over my life completely, I hear Hammond, Clarkson, and May bicker in my sleep. Such a brilliant, brilliant show! That isn't rubbish!

Also, totally forgot (back in 2009) to mention The X-Files, which, until season 5 or so, was about the best hour of television, ever. That first season still reigns supreme for me as the strongest first year of any series i've watched - it just hit the ground running.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 am

Whoa! A revived thread! Okay, um...currently it's Castle. All time is Firefly. I've had other favorites throughout the years, but I can do without most of them. I don't really watch much live TV -- I just wait for the DVD's to come out -- but I try not to miss the "As Time Goes By" double-feature every Saturday night on the local PBS station.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

all time? toss up - Star Trek OS and The WIre

Overall in no particular order

Rome
West Wing
Band of Brothers
Farscape
The Closer

if you had asked me when i was 16 i'd have a different list of course
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby katewatson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 am

My current favorite TV shows are much better than my old favorite shows. My favorite tv shows are:

Wife Swap
The Cleaner
Cold Case
Hannah Montana
Simpsons
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edited by Mod to remove spam.
katewatson
Law Clerk

Postby erich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 am

No love for Breaking Bad? Haven't started in on the fourth season yet, but the first three are about the most compelling and addictive as I've seen of any serialized show.

I'll echo love for Arrested Development and Mystery Science Theater 3000 (my all-time favorite), and add what has become far and away the best half-hour comedy on TV: Community.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Return to Television