I didn’t have much interest in this show until I heard Judge Rubino gave a glowing review of it in 1 of the Filibuster podcasts. I decided to give it a try & I’m glad I did. This has replaced Hell’s Kitchen as my favorite guilty pleasure.
About 66% of the show is basically Cops with Steven Seagal. Seagal & his fellow officers mostly (on the night shift) arresting erratic &/or drunk drivers or citizens with unregistered guns in their cars. The other 34% involves Seagal’s off duty activities like jazz concerts (?!) or how he trains his attack dogs. Seagal is still as bloated as ever & I must say the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office doesn’t have the strictest physical requirements for their officers.
I guess I get a kick out of it because it’s so surreal to see an action movie hero like Seagal in a cop uniform. The best parts are how the alleged criminals or victims react to the presence of Seagal. Their responses made me laugh harder than most so-called comedies do. The other highlight is when Seagal’s Spider Sense is triggered when danger’s around. The Seagal Sense is achieved by zooming in on Seagal’s face, next a flash of light & a heartbeat sound is played (dum-dum, dum-dum), & then the camera will zoom in on whatever the danger is, & finally the camera zooms back to Seagal’s face. They use this cheesy effect about 3-4 times per show & I still crack up every time. Seagal comes off more likeable (especially the episode where he visits a kids’ hospital) than he does in most of his movies. It also seems like his cop buddies enjoy being on the camera as well.
I know this isn’t high brow TV, but like I said, it’s a guilty pleasure. Anyone else seen it on A&E or On-Demand?