Yankee Version of "Torchwood" (and "Dr. Who"?) in the works

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Yankee Version of "Torchwood" (and "Dr. Who"?) in the works

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 am

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/fox-readying-us-version-of-torchwood-.html. Depending on how a "Torchwood" pilot/series goes a "Dr. Who" American version might get off the ground soon after.

Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series “Torchwood.”

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, “Torchwood” fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec VP programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders “Torchwood” to pilot.

As for the new show’s plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences...
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Yankee Version of "Torchwood" (and "Dr. Who"?) in the works

Postby Michael Stailey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 am

Oy vey... As if the BBC hasn't already learned its lesson from the failed "reboots" of Coupling and AbFab.
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Michael Stailey wrote:Oy vey... As if the BBC hasn't already learned its lesson from the failed "reboots" of Coupling and AbFab.

If the US Torchwood is a contionuation of the old show, it might work. I'm not sold on the idea, but at least can be optimistic aboput it.

I very seriously doubt a US WHO TV series will happen though. For starters, I can only imagine RTD would do everything in his power to talk Tranter out of the idea, and the backlash from fans and most likely the current production team would be considerable.

However, a US lead, seperate Doctor Who film franchise is another issue entirely. I could very easily see this happening. Again, not sure It's a good idea, but given the history of alternate Doctors such as the Shalka Doctor, Cushing's Dr. Who and even Rowen Atkinson's "9th" Doctor, a film version of the character would be less threatening to the television version.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Eric Profancik » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 pm

We've seen the Americanized version of "Doctor Who" already in that vile, abonimation of a television movie on Fox. It was horrible from start to finish, completely losing the concept of what the show is all about, and changing the characters for no good reason. Let's not try it again. Just watch BBC America and be satisfied! That goes for "Torchwood" too. The first thing that would go would be Jack's bisexuality and it would go downhill from there.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:15 am

Eric Profancik wrote:We've seen the Americanized version of "Doctor Who" already in that vile, abonimation of a television movie on Fox. It was horrible from start to finish, completely losing the concept of what the show is all about, and changing the characters for no good reason. Let's not try it again. Just watch BBC America and be satisfied! That goes for "Torchwood" too. The first thing that would go would be Jack's bisexuality and it would go downhill from there.

As I've noted in the past, I completely disagree with you re: the McGann movie. Actually, I thought it was far closer to the original series than the new one has been. I'm never been really comfortable with the whole "lonely, lovelorn, angst-ridden Doctor" of recent years. But, that's just me.

As for "Torchwood", I'm not sure that it'd work on a major U.S. network. That's not necessarily because of any changes they'd make, but because a network would say, "We already saw this when it was called 'U.F.O.', 'The X-Files' and 'Fringe'". I just think the timing is off. Still, it might get on the schedule, but only if it really caught on. And, even then, only if a network really got behind it regardless of initial ratings.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Kenneth Morgan wrote:
Eric Profancik wrote:We've seen the Americanized version of "Doctor Who" already in that vile, abonimation of a television movie on Fox. It was horrible from start to finish, completely losing the concept of what the show is all about, and changing the characters for no good reason. Let's not try it again. Just watch BBC America and be satisfied! That goes for "Torchwood" too. The first thing that would go would be Jack's bisexuality and it would go downhill from there.

As I've noted in the past, I completely disagree with you re: the McGann movie. Actually, I thought it was far closer to the original series than the new one has been. I'm never been really comfortable with the whole "lonely, lovelorn, angst-ridden Doctor" of recent years. But, that's just me.

I knew you'd be there for the yin to my yang. ;-)
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Eric Profancik wrote:
Kenneth Morgan wrote:

I knew you'd be there for the yin to my yang. ;-)

Well, just as long as the Balance of the Force is maintained. Wait, wrong franchise...
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Um, why? We already have two excellent shows that we enjoy. Are the Brit ones going away? If they're not, then let us just enjoy them as they are, all Britified and everything.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Michael Stailey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 am

Dunnyman wrote:Um, why?

Because the BBC just invested big bucks to set up an office in Los Angeles, put Doctor Who/Torchwood producer Julie Gardner in charge of running the joint, and wants to develop new programming specifically for BBC America. So, what's easier than pilfering already established properties? After all, it's the American way.
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:20 am

Bottom line: if a BBC show is a hit show in its native land it's a regional hit (at best) in certain territories. If a BBC show is a hit in the United States and has an easy-to-grasp-without-dialogue-concept then it's a guaranteed money-maker worldwide. As big and wealthy as the UK market is to finance it's quality TV shows, with the US studio/distribution pipeline and worldwide acceptance of American shows as standard (most people would be thrown off by little British eccentricities like, you know, an openly homosexual lead character not making a big deal out of his/her sexuality) the US version of "Torchwood" could end up being the one most people in the world accept as THE one... if it's a hit in the US of course. Heck, the NBC show "Heroes" is a piece of s*** but it's a worldwide hit and that alone (along with DVD sales) is what's kept it alive well past it's natural expiration date.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:07 am

one of these days , i need to make a list of all the quasi-sci fi shows where a secret organization with access to cool gadgets functions outside the government to save the world. i ran out of fingers just counting the ones from the last 5 years.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

NEVER MIND!

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 am

Fox kills proposed American version of "Torchwood"; US "Doctor Who" discussions continue: http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/torchwood-snuffed-at-fox.html
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:36 pm

New "Torchwood" coming in 2011 to the Starz premium channel: http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/starz-picks-up-torchwood-.html. John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return as leads.

Interview with "Torchwood" creator and Starz CEO about what the movie to premium cable means for the show's content/budget: http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/torchwood-interviews-with-starz-chief-chris-albrecht-creator-russell-t-davies-.html#more.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby mhansen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57 pm

The Hollywood Reporter has just broken the news that Russell T Davies’ Torchwood has been greenlit for a fourth season. John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) and Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper) are confirmed and new cast members will be announced shortly. The 10-episode story arc will pick up in the aftermath of Children of Earth and take on threats to humanity worldwide rather than just the populace of Great Britain and Wales. Series 4 will be a BBC Worldwide production in partnership with BBC Wales and Starz Entertainment, airing exclusively on Starz in the US.

http://www.tvverdict.com/2010/06/07/tor ... mmer-2011/
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

mhansen wrote:The Hollywood Reporter has just broken the news that Russell T Davies’ Torchwood has been greenlit for a fourth season. John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) and Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper) are confirmed and new cast members will be announced shortly. The 10-episode story arc will pick up in the aftermath of Children of Earth and take on threats to humanity worldwide rather than just the populace of Great Britain and Wales. Series 4 will be a BBC Worldwide production in partnership with BBC Wales and Starz Entertainment, airing exclusively on Starz in the US.

http://www.tvverdict.com/2010/06/07/tor ... mmer-2011/

Welcome back Torchwood!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dave Ryan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 am

molly1216 wrote:one of these days , i need to make a list of all the quasi-sci fi shows where a secret organization with access to cool gadgets functions outside the government to save the world. i ran out of fingers just counting the ones from the last 5 years.

My favorite one was M*A*S*H....
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Return to Television