Max Headrom

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Max Headrom

Postby stypee » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Here's a stupid question - When I was a kid I was always annoyed by the whole Max Headrom thing... I just hated the character, funny thing is, I know nothing about it. What was the show all about anyway? Is it worth a look now?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Max Headrom

Postby Dimwitted » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 pm

It was about 23½ minutes into the future.

I'm dredging up old memories here, but the titular Max Headroom was a cameraman(?) that had an accident and the last think he saw was the overhead sign that read Max Headroom. While he was hooked up to the machinery for massive head trauma his psyche was transferred into the station network and he took over. He's not all there which is why he stutters and disappears frequently.

The setting is a rather bleak dystopia that's not exactly British and not really American either which allowed it to travel across the pond nicely. Neither country really knew what to do with it though. There's more US episodes than British but the cast is the same. It's a curiosity more or less and not too dear because there's not that many episodes.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Byun » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I liked Max Headroom -- in extremely small doses, like the Coke commercials he was in. He was one of those pop culture fads that people have a very limited appetite for, like MacGruber. Personally, I can't imagine anyone who wasn't a massive Max Headroom fan back in the day wanting to watch the show (or movie) now. The show was just Max Headroom surrounded by an acre of crap.
Bryan Byun
Judge

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 am

You may be confusing the interview/music video show with the dramatic series. It's been years since I've seen it, but I recall that the latter was pretty good. Also, the Max Headroom character was seen less than you might expect, compared to the human character (Edison Carter, also played by Matt Frewer) he's based on.

In any case, the whole series is due for release in August, so I'll be able to make a more informed judgement then. Here's the info: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Headroom-Complete-Lenticular-Cover/dp/B00005JNU5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279556637&sr=1-1.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:05 am

I'm working on a review now.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Return to Television