killed in prime time

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

killed in prime time

Postby molly1216 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 pm

i was rewatching the release of last year's the Unusuals all 13 episodes..and i am still convinced this was one of the best things on last year. Of course it breaks my heart that it was killed in the cradle, like many good things.

I also thought that the 8 episodes of 2008's "New Amsterdam" wasn't given a chance but then...
it was on Fox which is known for killing it's babies.
it would have done much better on USA or SciFi.

I was wondering what other shows folks thought were mercilessly killed before they had a chance?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: killed in prime time

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 am

Space Rangers!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:49 am

Steve T Power wrote:Space Rangers!

"I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper."
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Space Rangers!

"I am the Shadout Mapes, the housekeeper."

You got it wrong...

"I am the Shadout Mapes... The... HOUSEKEEPER"
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Profit...a Fox series that was so far ahead of its time and one that offended so many people it was pulled after 3 or 4 episodes. On DVD and worth watching.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Where does one start?
Wonderfalls
Pushing Daisies
The Five Mrs. Buchanans
The Powers That Be
The World Of Oliver Beene
Greg The Bunny
and soooo many more
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 am

5 replies and no one has mentioned Firefly yet? The Internet must be slipping...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 am

HGervais wrote:Profit...a Fox series that was so far ahead of its time and one that offended so many people it was pulled after 3 or 4 episodes. On DVD and worth watching.

I second this vote...
I think the show was too far ahead of its time... after Enron, BP, and all the other evil corporations out there... PROFIT seems to should have been called PROPHET. It came at a time when the economy was good, unemployment was low, and people trusted big companies. It was like AMERICAN PSYCHO, only an even better adaptation of that book than what the movie did.

There are so many quality shows killed in prime time. PUSHING DAISIES anybody?

Any Joss Wheedon show apart from ANGEL or BUFFY (one ran just long enough and the other wore out its welcome) seems to be killed far too soon. I certainly grieve for FIREFLY, but also for DOLLHOUSE. I enjoyed the heck out of both.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Jim_Thomas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:24 pm

BrettCullum wrote:Any Joss Wheedon show apart from ANGEL or BUFFY (one ran just long enough and the other wore out its welcome) seems to be killed far too soon. I certainly grieve for FIREFLY, but also for DOLLHOUSE. I enjoyed the heck out of both.
Angel really needed one more season. The final season was so ridiculously rushed, it was obvious that they were desperately trying to tie things up. The Illyria and Thorn Circle (?) had so much more potential.

Buffy probably should have just stayed dead the second time.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Jim_Thomas wrote:
BrettCullum wrote:Any Joss Wheedon show apart from ANGEL or BUFFY (one ran just long enough and the other wore out its welcome) seems to be killed far too soon. I certainly grieve for FIREFLY, but also for DOLLHOUSE. I enjoyed the heck out of both.
Angel really needed one more season. The final season was so ridiculously rushed, it was obvious that they were desperately trying to tie things up. The Illyria and Thorn Circle (?) had so much more potential.
Agreed. The idea Whedon had for season 8 of Angel & his gang losing the fight and having L.A. transported to Hell would have been awesome.

Buffy probably should have just stayed dead the second time.

Agreed again. I think season 6 is better in retrospect than when it was airing but season 7 is just a mess from start to finish.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 am

hmm folks trotted out the usual suspects..for that matter Futurama. (won't say Family guy..nope won't say it)

i think that the majority of 13 episodes and out shows must be immediately forgotten be they great, good or awful.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mhansen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 am

On TV Verdict...
“Persons Unknown”: NBC’s Bald-Headed Stepchild
http://www.tvverdict.com/2010/09/09/persons-unknown-nbc’s-bald-headed-stepchild/
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Postby cdouglas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 am

I thought Swingtown was a very good show that was a surprisingly bold choice for CBS. Alas, it died after 13 episodes.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:20 am

Let me add the surprisingly goofy and incredibly fun The Middleman, I was given a moneyback guarantee at a local DVD place on this, and at 19.99 for the entire season I took the plunge. X-Files meets Men In Black meets Airplane! The gags are fast and furious, the captions "The illegal sublet that Wendy shares with another young and photogenic artist" are ingenious, and the stars have a great chemistry. Why wasn't this given a chance to find a following???
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 pm

There was a US drama shown on a digital channel called The Nine which was terminated prematurely (in my opinion) by its producers or whoever makes such decisions. The programme flitted in time about events before, during and after a bank robbery, and the effect on the characters involved. It was not without its flaws, but it held my interest more than most series of its kind, and I did not think it deserved its fate (cancelled well before it had reached its conclusion because of poor ratings). Just a personal opinion, but I find the big weakness of many US series is that they meander on far too long and go down too many plot sidelines, so viewers lose patience and interest, particularly those of us who have limited time to watch TV. I appreciate that studios like to milk something which attracts a big audience early on, but the plots of these long running big budget series are rarely pacey enough to hook me, nor do I find the cliffhangers at the end of each episode sufficiently suspenseful to induce me to ensure I am in front of the TV at the same time next week (and for weeks and weeks to come). It was for this reason that I gave up Lost and Heroes at an early stage. However, The Nine seemed to be written more tightly than most, so I was surprised it was canned.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Return to Television