What is this Hulu thing I keep hearing about?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

What is this Hulu thing I keep hearing about?

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:42 pm

I didn't like the idea of it about a year ago when I looked at it. What I saw were classic shows, but only a few episodes here and there. I didn't like the ads during the show either. The net has gotten me used to banner ads that are less intrusive.

Now I'm thinking of the Plus service though. It seems to have changed a bit. I like the "season pass" aspect where I can watch TV shows shortly after they air. It's like a DVR, but better.

I don't like the cost though, nor the ads. I would pay, or I would watch ads. I'm not sold on both, especially for 10 dollars a month.

I think Hulu needs to cut cost, perhaps cut catalog content if needed to do it, and focus on the Season Pass.

Any other thoughts? Am I missing the point?
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: What is this Hulu thing I keep hearing about?

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:08 am

You are right, Hulu is the free website that offeres free views (with commercials) of several popular TV shows and full series of some shows that met untimely demises. Hulu was successful because it allowed viewe to see episodes they may have missed or to view stuff for free. To compete with the very successful Netflicks unlimited service (allowing viewers to watch unlimited selections for a monthly fee) has caused many to ditch cable and hook up their TVs for internet. A friend just purchased the new Samsung flatscreen with an internet browse built in, which I suspect will be the wave of the future.

Hulu is introducing Hulu Plus this week. I have to say that their offerings are pretty underwelming. Although there are some nice additions (Seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, all six seasons of Xena, all three seasons of Arrested Development) the majority of what they have is either incomplete (only three seasons of Mary Tyler Moore?) or in the firm arena of "who cares?" (The New Adam 12 anyone?).

Maybe this is limited because Hulu Plus is new or because they don't want to give away the farm during the free week. Even so, I am not going to be purchasing Hulu Plus anything soon.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:20 pm

i use hulu to keep track of 'new' shows most recent episodes. i have browsed deeper in their catalog
but i don't see anything i would pay for.
basically i use it like tivo.

I prefer Netflix instant watch because i can use the Roku/TV combo
with hulu i am restricted to the PC.
I can see how Hulu Plus on the Roku box is appealing..but i am already paying for the netflix acct
i won't subscribe to 2 services.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:25 pm

If you do decide to give it a try use my referral code. It gives you two weeks free and me two weeks free. https://hulu.com/r/Q9e7Sw

It works amazingly well on the Roku Molly and you should at least give the two weeks a test run (though they make you pay two weeks up front to get it.). Maybe I'm stubborn but I've stopped watching media on my computer. I realize I'm paying a premium but the quality is worth it. And no I'm not just trying to get referrals for free time 8)

I've tried it for a while and I do like it, but when money gets short next year I fear my affections may change. I have a few new observations.

1- regarding movies. I still think Hulu needs to give up. If people say they want movies then Hulu needs to just let those customers go elsewhere. You can't compete with Netflix, Amazon, Vudu etc.. It's wasted money that is sorely needed elsewhere.

2- depth of content. They need to get other networks online. The three share holders aren't enough. We need SyFy, CDS, Crackle (Sony) etc..

3- the ads. I'm ok with the ads now that the price is a little lower and they are bending over backwards to give me free weeks. I've gotten 7 so far through various promotions. People who complain about the ads need to also just move on. I want the price to be low.

4- disparity of content. This is the big one. Yes we get licensing deals and such. I don't care what it takes but Hulu has got to get more of their standard content onto Plus if it will survive. This is the most critical by far and really the only valid gripe that people have against them.

I'd like to see Plus encompass more non-traditional content also. Web shows mostly. Things like The Guild play online for free so it would seem simple to strike an ad sharing scheme with them to get the content on Plus. Heck older seasons are on Netflix so it's not like Felicia Day is against the idea.

Short version is that I like it. I've seen new shows that I never would have otherwise. I've seen my favorites on my own schedule that I would have pirated otherwise (free TV is a grey zone in my mind). I've also been catching up on some classics.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Television