What is the best cable alternative?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

What is the best cable alternative?

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm

For those who have it, what is the best system as a cable TV alternative?

1.) Roku
2.) DVD player with Netflix etc. option
3.) Gaming counsel with Netflix etc. options
4.) TIVO
5.) Hooking up computer to TV
6.) other
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Re: What is the best cable alternative?

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Roku because they have a lot of channels and can easily add them. Users make their own channels (aps) and can feed web content into them. You'll need more though, something to feed the Roku.

I used a 50-50 mix of Hulu Plus and Netflix with a smattering of Revision 3 on the side.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dave Ryan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am

Tivo isn't a cable alternative. "Tivo" is really just an OS for a DVR. And you still need something (cable, Fios) to feed into that DVR.

IF price is no object, here's my recommendation: Buy a PS3. Gives you both regular and Blu-ray capacity, plus Netflix and (soon) Hulu Plus (which right now is only available on the Playstation Plus annual-fee service, but which is going to be moved out of that soon). Downside: no sports. If sports is important, the X360 gives you ESPN3, but you lose Blu-ray playback.

If price is an object, and if you can go without DVD and Blu-ray (or if you have it elsewhere), go with the Roku. It's really a great value -- cheap (relatively), streams HD well, good variety of channels.
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 am

Hulu Plus isn't tied to Playstation Plus. You just have to download it from the media section of the store. It's a free download. Use a referral code to get two weeks free instead of the generally offered one. Mine is http://hulu.com/r/Q9e7Sw

I use a PS3 in my bedroom but I still say the Roku is better for people cutting cable. The PS3 is a better machine but it's not a toy like the Roku. They have a public SDK so people who have content can make and publish their own content without going through hoops. People have made channels for things like HGTV, Pandora, Crackle.com etc... If it's on the web chances are it can be funneled in somehow. The PS3 will never offer that.

However for Hulu, Vudu, and Netflix the PS3 is the best machine.

The Wii has Netflix also by the way if you have one or want one.

Doesn't the PS3 have sports? I know it has MLB but I thought it also had NHL. Not sure though. I don't watch sports.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 am

Dave Ryan wrote:Gives you both regular and Blu-ray capacity, plus Netflix and (soon) Hulu Plus (which right now is only available on the Playstation Plus annual-fee service, but which is going to be moved out of that soon).

Actually, Hulu Plus has been available without a Playstation Plus account for a few weeks now.

We've dumped satellite in favor of streaming Netflix and Hulu Plus -- to the PS3 for our main display, a Roku for our smaller TV, and to the widescreen monitor on our computer for web-only content on Hulu (e.g. The Walking Dead). The one downside is no NFL -- but I live out-of-market for my team anyway and already refused to pay the exorbitant price DirecTV charges for their NFL package. If I didn't live out-of-market, it'd cost very little to buy an antenna and pull HD games directly from the ether for free. In time, the NFL will come around to streaming. I'll be more than happy to pay the league to stream games, provided they offer a package that doesn't cost more than an entire year of cable/satellite (hey, how 'bout letting me buy all of the games for my team, and then anything else a la carte instead of charging me for access to every single game played? No, that probably makes too much sense).

mkiker2089 wrote:Doesn't the PS3 have sports? I know it has MLB but I thought it also had NHL. Not sure though. I don't watch sports.

Both the PS3 and Roku have MLB.TV and NHL.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 am

A computer running PS3 Media Server and and a PS3.

The rest you can figure out for yourself.

EDIT: For the $$$ they want for the PS3 NHL package, I might as well have a satellite package that can be screwed up by inclement weather during Hockey's busiest months. Pass.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:24 am

Steve T Power wrote:EDIT: For the $$$ they want for the PS3 NHL package, I might as well have a satellite package that can be screwed up by inclement weather during Hockey's busiest months. Pass.

Word. And if you live anywhere near civilization and are a fan of your local team, an HD antenna is your best friend.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to Television