"Falling Skies" Anyone?

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

"Falling Skies" Anyone?

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

I know they're on episode 3 now, ratings have been of the "great for cable" variety, and reviews have been pretty positive. I haven't tuned in yet, has anyone else? I'm definitely curious about the show, and hearing "V meets The Walking Dead" comparisons.

Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: "Falling Skies" Anyone?

Postby Mach6 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Falling Skies: Judging by the 1st three episodes, it’s definitely better than V that’s for sure. No way is it as good as The Walking Dead. The CGI Alien Skitter & Mech effects are very good by TV standards. The street/urban combat scenes are OK or a poor man’s version of Battle Los Angeles. The two biggest problems I have are the casting of Noah Wyle as the 2nd in command of the military unit & how they portray Will Patton’s Captain Weaver.

It’s hard for me to buy Wyle as an alien killing badass, let alone that his character had no military experience before the invasion began. Wyle just doesn’t project any toughness. Hell, most of his soldiers are teenagers or 20 somethings that don’t project any toughness. He also has the clichéd father looking for his son abducted by aliens’ storyline.

Maybe it’s my political leanings, (and maybe this will only happen in the pilot), I didn’t care how Weaver is too stubborn, strict, or always wrong because he’s the clichéd top military guy whose always wrong character. I don’t want to give out spoilers, so all I can say is there is a situation where Wyle’s unit is in trouble & Weaver & Moon Bloodgood’s Dr. Glass have different ideas on how to deal with it. Guess which one has the right idea? Patton gives a solid performance but Weaver comes off as two-dimensional at best. Like V, Skies needs more human characters that we want to root for. I''ll argue The Walking Dead had compelling characters (except for Michael Rooker's racist redneck, ugh) & tried to put a new twist on the zombie genre. Falling Skies is more of the same old.

I wasn't very impressed. I’ll give it one more episode just to see if there going anywhere with the "What the hell are the Skitters’ plans for our children" storyline.
Mach6
City Attorney

Return to Television