2011-2012 TV Thread

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

Re: 2011-2012 TV Thread

Postby Polynikes » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:53 pm

I have only had time to see a few TV programmes and films this Christmas and New Year, but one programme I did manage to catch just now was the first of three new episodes of Sherlock which was shown tonight on BBC1 (not to be confused with the recent films). As afficionados will know, this series places Holmes and Watson as young men in the modern world, but retaining similar characteristics and rapport from the Conan Doyle stories.The first three episodes last year were extremely well received by press and public, and I can see why from tonight's episode. Very enjoyable, although I would not extol it quite as highly as others do, and a cut above most drama of its type. My wife enjoyed the previous series and said that this one lived up to expectation. I hope you get a chance to view it soon overseas.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Polynikes wrote:I have only had time to see a few TV programmes and films this Christmas and New Year, but one programme I did manage to catch just now was the first of three new episodes of Sherlock which was shown tonight on BBC1 (not to be confused with the recent films). As afficionados will know, this series places Holmes and Watson as young men in the modern world, but retaining similar characteristics and rapport from the Conan Doyle stories.The first three episodes last year were extremely well received by press and public, and I can see why from tonight's episode. Very enjoyable, although I would not extol it quite as highly as others do, and a cut above most drama of its type. My wife enjoyed the previous series and said that this one lived up to expectation. I hope you get a chance to view it soon overseas.

hot damn...time to reinstall ExpatShield so i can watch it.
http://expatshield.com/ LOVE this..no i adore this.
when you aren't using it, you disconnect it.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 am

Other recommended British television programmes (according to my family and professional critics) over Christmas and New Year were:

BBC: The Borrowers and Great Expectations
ITV: Downton Abbey
Channel 4: Hacks (a caricature comedy about the phone hacking scandal).

Despite the financial downturn, the terrestrial TV companies in Great Britain continue to produce high quality drama, and 2012 holds much promise.

I just wish they would pension off Ray Winstone. He even turned up in a version of Ben Hur!
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 am

..and for those seeking something more cerebral but which can be appreciated even by children, The Royal Institute Christmas Lectures are worth a look. The subject this year was the brain and how it works.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:It was a late summer replacement, but check out The Nine Lives Of Chloe King, in ten episodes it went from Buffy clone to first rate mystery/thriller with red herrings, people supposedly dead showing up, unbreakable alliances being shattered and a whole host of loose ends with a great cliffhanger!

ABC FAMILY CANCELS "THE NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING"; ORDERS MORE "LYING GAME" EPISODES: http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/abc-family-cancels-nine-lives/. Sorry dude!

Chloe King lives! ABC Family planning a movie (not yet know if its made-for-TV or theatrical) based on the TV show: http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/canceled-abc-family-series-nine-lives-of-chloe-king-to-get-new-life-as-movie-tca/.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 am

Downton Abbey, and that's pretty much the only show I'm into these days. Although I am revisiting Battlestar Galactica on DVD.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm

true confession....i just watched all the episodes of 2 Broke Girls...it was funny...no it's not great art..it was pretty much a traditional sitcom..but i actually laughed and didn't feel like i had misspent .22 minutes.
i haven't bothered watching anything else except Sherlock S2. as for Downton Abbey..i do like it, but unfortunately it is something i need to watch in a marathon so i am waiting for the DVDs or the streaming
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 am

i dabbled with a gifted man...looks great less filling. terrific cast and production...but same old tired scripts from other sources. i watched 4 in a row and by then i could tell you how the next scripts would go. i am hoping it will improve over time... though i am not going out of my way to watch it.

Once upon a time...i watched all 9 available episodes and was impressed but worried...these type of fairy tale oriented stories lean best towards mini series format...you WANT To know that the villain gets their comeuppance eventually. with the potential for a never ending series...with an absolute villain..not a villain of the week or season...you get kinda depressed thinking that no matter what the heroes do, the villain will always be coming back. never had any love for Jennifer Morrison....is it me or does she dressed like bounty hunter barbie in this? but i am thrilled that Robert Carlyle's Rumplestilskin is as animated as he has been in many years... the Mr Gold character is basically what he's been phoning in, but when he's very bad he's better. British Columbia does a fine stand in for a fairy tale kingdom forest, and those production values are not to be trifled with. i only wish it wasn't a 22 episode multi season series... i'm gonna get tired of this villain by season 2 unless something magical happens.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 am

molly1216 wrote:
Once upon a time...i watched all 9 available episodes and was impressed but worried...these type of fairy tale oriented stories lean best towards mini series format...you WANT To know that the villain gets their comeuppance eventually. with the potential for a never ending series...with an absolute villain..not a villain of the week or season...you get kinda depressed thinking that no matter what the heroes do, the villain will always be coming back. never had any love for Jennifer Morrison....is it me or does she dressed like bounty hunter barbie in this? but i am thrilled that Robert Carlyle's Rumplestilskin is as animated as he has been in many years... the Mr Gold character is basically what he's been phoning in, but when he's very bad he's better. British Columbia does a fine stand in for a fairy tale kingdom forest, and those production values are not to be trifled with. i only wish it wasn't a 22 episode multi season series... i'm gonna get tired of this villain by season 2 unless something magical happens.

As this week's episode showed, she's not the only villain in town, I'm betting the Storybrooke equivalents won't mind doing the Mayor some damage from time to time, and may be up to causing some trouble themselves. And, no, I'm never going to get tired of Lana Parilla doing the "villain you love to hate" bit. She does it too well. She gets to go so far over the top as the Evil Queen, and then reigns it back in as the Mayor, the best new actress on TV this year, hands down.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
molly1216 wrote:

As this week's episode showed, she's not the only villain in town, I'm betting the Storybrooke equivalents won't mind doing the Mayor some damage from time to time, and may be up to causing some trouble themselves. And, no, I'm never going to get tired of Lana Parilla doing the "villain you love to hate" bit. She does it too well. She gets to go so far over the top as the Evil Queen, and then reigns it back in as the Mayor, the best new actress on TV this year, hands down.

i didn't say i'd get tired of her chewing the scenery..but i'd like to know that there is a happy ending at the end of the season that doesn't just mean until Season 2. and yes Rumplestilskin is evil..but his is an evil we know.. ..they have written him to be the deal making devilish Mr Scratch character we are all familiar with....Colm Feore is usually given that role.
i guess what i meant is that there is no chance of reversing the witch's curse as long as the show is in production.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 pm

molly1216 wrote:i didn't say i'd get tired of her chewing the scenery..but i'd like to know that there is a happy ending at the end of the season that doesn't just mean until Season 2. and yes Rumplestilskin is evil..but his is an evil we know.. ..they have written him to be the deal making devilish Mr Scratch character we are all familiar with....Colm Feore is usually given that role.
i guess what i meant is that there is no chance of reversing the witch's curse as long as the show is in production.

I think we'll get some sort of happiness, perhaps with Emma getting custody or some such as the Mayor starts to crumble. Obviously, we can't have a full reversal, but it'd be neat if some people regain their memories, but the full reversal can't happen until they all do, then Emma would have more allies against the Mayor. Plus, I'm not so sure the curse is fully affecting Rumplestilskin. He seems to know an awful lot. It's just darn good TV.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Joyce and lots of other fans will be happy to know that FX has renewed Justified for a 13-episode fourth season.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/fxs-jus ... th-season/
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

NBC renews "Grimm" for Season 2 (first show NBC renews for next season).

CBS Renews 18 series ("Amazing Race," "The Good Wife," "2 Broke Girls," "Mike & Molly," etc.) but not "Two and a Half-Men," "CSI: NY," "Unforgettable" and "A Gifted Man"... yet!)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 pm

J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:48 pm

FOX renews "New Girl," "Glee," "Raising Hope" and "Bones": http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fox-renews-glee-new-girl-and-raising-hope/.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:FOX renews "New Girl," "Glee," "Raising Hope" and "Bones": http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fox-renews-glee-new-girl-and-raising-hope/.

Good news at New Girl has settled in nicely and is showing some great comic potential. Raising Hope had me worried with Jimmy finally hooking up with Sabrina, which I thought was way too soon, but the first part of the two part season ending revealed why. Effin' brilliant.
I'd say ABC hit a quick home run with Don't Trust the B_____ In Apt. 23 last night as the two leads have great chemistry from the get-go, and Kristyn Ritter has an incredible role as the truly horrible Chloe, the soulless wench who cons and rips off her roommate, and yet, she's like the rain wreck you can't stop staring at. Second most interesting new character on TV this year. Dreama Walker is perfect as the innocent, but not stupid June who gives as good as she gets. Bonus points for James Van Der Beek playing himself as a disaffected star who sleazily uses fans of Dawson's Creek for cheap thrills. Good stuff and I snagged the second episode off the web and it was even better than the first.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

RENEWAL/CANCELLATION SCORECARD!

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat May 12, 2012 2:23 am

Courtesy of AVS Forum poster mrvideo

ABC:

Ordered To Series:
Last Resort (Sony)
666 (WB)
How To Live (FOX)
Nashville (ABC Studios)
Neighbors (ABC Studios)
Zero Hour (ABC Studios)
Penoza (ABC Studios)
Malibu Country (ABC Studios)
Red Man Van (ABC Studios)

Renewed:
AFHV
Body Of Proof
Castle
Dancing w/The Stars
Don't Trust The Bitch In Apt 23
Grey's Anatomy
Happy Endings
Last Man Standing
Middle
Modern Family
Once Upon A Time
Private Practice
Revenge
Scandal
Shark Tank
Suburgatory
Wife Swap

Canceled:
Desperate Housewives
GCB
Missing
Pan AM
River

NBC:

New Series:
1600 Penn (FOX)
Animal Practice (NBC)
Chicago Fire (NBC)
Do No Harm (NBC)
Go On (NBC)
Guys With Kids (NBC)
Hannibal (NBC)
Howie Mendel's White Elephant (NBC)
Infamous (NBC)
The New Normal (FOX)
Next Caller Please (Lionsgate)
Ready For Love (NBC)
Revolution (WB)
Save Me (Sony)
Stars Earn Stripes (Mark Burnett)

Renewed:
30 Rock
Community
Fashion Star
Grimm
LAO SVU
The Office
Parenthood
Parks & Recreation
Smash
Up All Night
Whitney

Canceled:
Are You There Chelsea
Awake
Bent
Best Friends Forever
Chuck
The Firm
Free Agents
Harry's Law
Playboy Club
Prime Suspect

FOX:

New Series:
Axe Cop (FOX)
Ben & Kate (FOX)
The Following (WB)
The Goodwin Games (FOX)
Its Messy (NBC)
The Mob Doctor (Sony)

Renewed:
A. Idol
American Dad
Bob's Burgers
Bones
Cleveland Show
Family Guy
Fringe
Glee
Kitchen Nightmares
New Girl
Raising Hope
Simpsons
Touch
X-Factor

Canned:
Alcatraz
Allen Gregory
Breaking In
Finder
House
I Hate My Teenage Daughter
Terra Nova

CW:

New Shows:
Arrow (WB)
Beauty & The Beast (CBS)
Carrie Diaries (WB)
Cult (WB)
First Cut (CBS)

Renewed:
Top Model
Gossip Girl
Hart Of Dixie
Nikita
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries

Canceled:
One Tree Hill
Ringer
Secret Circle

Only CBS left, they have announced 2 Broke Girls, 48 Hours, 60
Minutes, Amazing Race, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds,
CSI, Good Wife, Hawaii Five-O, How I Met Your Mother, Mentalist, Mike
& Molly, NCIS, NCIS: LA, Person Of Interest, Survivor, Two & Half Men
& Undercover boss are coming back.

CSI Miami, CSI New York, Rob, Rules Of Engagement & Unforgettable are
all up in the air.

Gifted Man & NYC 22 are Done.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm liking what A&E is offering, in terms of scripted original programming. The Glades feels like Castle meets Burn Notice, a frothy and engaging show. Not bad for a show entering its third season...

And if you love Justified, you'll like Longmire. Robert Taylor is great as the crusty, mysterious title character -- you can easily see Olymphant's Raylan Givens and Longmire as potential brothers and/or working together to solve a case. And no, it's not just the wide-brimmed hat they wear either.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Christmas Eve 2012 has the same schedule as 2011: Merlin and Outnumbered on BBC1. A finer evening's viewing for Christmas Eve could not be wished for. Sadly, the last ever Merlin, although rumours of a film abound.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 am

J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Previous

Return to Television