new speed racer anime in '08

Current or vintage, broadcast, internet, cable, or satellite

new speed racer anime in '08

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Variety article

Lionsgate will announce today plans for its first animated series, a new version of the 1960s toon "Speed Racer." Nickelodeon's 24-hour cartoon channel, Nicktoons, is aboard to run the initial 26 episodes.

The new "Speed Racer" cartoon is set to launch next year, around the same time that Warner Bros.' live-action "Speed Racer," directed by the Wachowskis, hits theaters.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: new speed racer anime in '08

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:53 pm

and as far as the live-action one goes...
They got my $9.00.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby bmwracer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 am

The so-called "Mach 6" is pretty butt-ugly: http://a330.g.akamai.net/7/330/23382/20 ... _racer.jpg
bmwracer
Law Clerk

Postby azul017 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:42 am

I don't know why the Wackhowskis and Joel Silver are doing making a live-action movie out of a Japanese anime, an old one at that. It seems like a needless grab by the studios to get more money for the franchise by doing it a different way and drawing in a different audience.

Then again, the Wackhowskis were responsible for films like The Matrix and V for Vendetta... and films like the two Matrix sequels. I'm hoping Speed Racer will be in line with the former than the latter.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Michael Stailey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:06 pm

azul017 wrote:I don't know why the Wackhowskis and Joel Silver are doing making a live-action movie out of a Japanese anime, an old one at that. It seems like a needless grab by the studios to get more money for the franchise by doing it a different way and drawing in a different audience.

Classic storylines, high tension action sequences, larger than life supporting characters... it screams big screen adaptation. Whether or not they can pull it off is a different story altogether. To capture essence of Spridle and Chim Chim alone will be a feat unto itself :)
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby The Butcher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Michael Stailey wrote:
azul017 wrote:I don't know why the Wackhowskis and Joel Silver are doing making a live-action movie out of a Japanese anime, an old one at that. It seems like a needless grab by the studios to get more money for the franchise by doing it a different way and drawing in a different audience.

Classic storylines, high tension action sequences, larger than life supporting characters... it screams big screen adaptation. Whether or not they can pull it off is a different story altogether. To capture essence of Spridle and Chim Chim alone will be a feat unto itself :)

plus it's f@#kin' Speed Racer. I mean if it don't grab ya right there, well, this flick ain't for you. Personally think all the Matrix movies are horribly overrated and haven't bothered with V for Vendetta, but I'll be there opening weekend for this one (even with that Mach-6 car).

In fact I'm gonna listen to Big Black's Racer X on my way home from work tonight.
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Return to Television