Criterion Blu-ray FAQ

The wonderful world of high-def

Criterion Blu-ray FAQ

Postby HGervais » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Are Criterion's Blu-ray discs region-encoded?

Yes. Criterion is licensed to sell most of its editions only in North America.

Why should I buy regular DVDs when I don't know if Criterion will release a Blu-ray version six months from now?

If you love these films, keep buying DVDs. It is going to be quite a while before the Blu-ray marketplace can support many of the titles Criterion releases on DVD. For new releases, if we think a title has a shot of succeeding on Blu-ray, we aim to put out both editions at the same time, so you can make an informed choice. Where classics from our catalog are concerned, to give you a little extra comfort we'll be offering a $20 Blu-ray upgrade program for customers who have already bought the equivalent edition on DVD.

You send us the movie disc from your DVD edition, and for $20 (plus tax and shipping) we'll exchange it for the Blu-ray version, simple as that.

How will the Blu-ray upgrade program work?

Just mail your disc to:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Be sure to include your U.S. or Canadian mailing address inside the package, as we cannot ship outside of North America. Please also include your e-mail address in case we need to contact you. You can send in your disc for exchange anytime, but we won’t be sending out the Blu-ray discs until their release dates.

You can pay the $20 plus tax (New York State only) and $5 shipping and handling by a check or money order made payable to the Criterion Collection. You can also pay by PayPal by making a payment to store@criterion.com (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover welcome). If your shipping address is in New York State, the total is $26.50 for the upgrade of one DVD. If your shipping address is in any other state or in Canada, the total is $25.

We’ll mail the Blu-ray disc in a sleeve, and you'll be able to place the new disc in your existing packaging. This doesn't give you the new Blu-ray packaging, but it does give you an option if you want the Blu-ray version but don't want to buy the entire set again. This offer only applies to "like" editions. For example, you can return disc 1 of the rerelease of The Third Man but not the earlier, out-of-print edition.

If you have any questions about the Blu-ray upgrade offer please e-mail Jon Mulvaney at mulvaney@criterion.com. We reserve the right to change or discontinue this program at any time.

What is the Blu-ray packaging going to look like?

Our Blu-ray packaging will be similar to our DVD packaging, only in the smaller Blu-ray size. As with DVDs, we'll use a range of paper and plastic packaging, and we'll bring the same care and attention to the design. Where we're upgrading an existing release, the design will match right down to the disc labels, so if you want to take advantage of the $20 Blu-ray upgrade program, your replacement disc will fit right into the design of your existing Criterion DVD edition. In the store, if you want to be sure you're buying the Blu-ray edition and not the standard-def DVD version, you'll know it by the smaller size and the blue Blu-ray sticker on the front.

Will Criterion's Blu-ray discs have spine numbers?

Spine numbers on our Blu-ray discs will match the existing DVD editions. Our Blu-ray releases represent a significant upgrade when it comes to audiovisual quality, and many of our customers will want to take advantage of that, but we're not starting over at number 1, and we're not expecting our longstanding DVD collectors to do so either. Where content is concerned, we aren't planning on publishing anything on our Blu-ray editions that won't also be available on DVD. Whether you collect only DVDs or only Blu-ray discs or a mix, it's all part of your Criterion collection—and they'll all line up in spine-number order.
Back to top »

What will Criterion Blu-ray discs cost?

Criterion's Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Criterion Blu-ray FAQ

Postby Future Man » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 pm

The exchange procedure sounded good right up until they mentioned the packaging. I could never see myself putting the Blu-ray into the old packaging. So I'm done for.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

^^^ Yet another reason why Criterion gets the love and repeat business from the discerning (i.e. DVD Verdict readership) few that appreciate quality. Bring on the high-def double-dips! 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 pm

While it's a good, and fair policy, I'd rather just sell my existing titles as the Blu-Rays are released. My local shop pays good prices and they always are on the lookout for Criterions, so I'll be fine. Hmmmm, The Last Emperor & Third Man are in the first round of Blu-Rays? Gotta snag 'em both!
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Tinderbox » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I like the idea of the upgrade program, but I'm also perplexed by the Blu-ray-in-a-sleeve idea. I don't like that.

I also don't like the paper packaging of the first Criterion Blu-ray releases that I've seen so far. What's with that? I'm dying to get these but I don't want paper packaging so I haven't bought any. Why can't they stick them in plastic boxes? This makes no sense to me and I'm going to wait until they wise up and improve the packaging.
"I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind." - Ed Rooney
Tinderbox
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Criterion Blu-ray of Kurosawa's "Ran" canceled: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=230740#p230740
...the Blu-ray release of RAN has been cancelled indefinitely due to rights issues.

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney
:cry: :cry: :cry:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Tinderbox » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:33 am

BUMMER!!! ^^^^
"I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind." - Ed Rooney
Tinderbox
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 pm

DVDBeaver review for "In The Realm Of The Senses" is up. WARNING: movie artwork (near the top) and pic comparisons toward the last third of the review are definitely NOT work safe. :shock:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Criterion/Amazon are conducting a poll to determine which of five movies in Criterion's catalogue gets to be released on Blu-ray later this year (apart from titles already announced or in the pipeline): http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_84234391_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000368291&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=07GHEFXNF0VW60RZ0262&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=475932051&pf_rd_i=B0026VBOIS. The candidates: Au Revoir Les Enfants, Down By Law, Howards End, Kwaidan, and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

You can vote until May 25th.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Well, I guess that means Howard's End will be getting a spine number.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 pm

JUNE 16th:

Also, Criterion cancels their Blu-ray release of Godard's "Contempt" due to losing the rights: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115&start=100. First "Ran" and now "Contempt." :cry:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat May 16, 2009 6:24 pm

AUGUST: Tati's Playtime (1967) and Kurosawa's Kagemusha (1980) (to compensate somewhat for losing "Ran"). :P
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby BenShultz » Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Also, Criterion cancels their Blu-ray release of Godard's "Contempt" due to losing the rights: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115&start=100. First "Ran" and now "Contempt." :cry:

Bummer. I was seriously considering getting this one last weekend with some birthday dough, but I went with Pierrot Le Fou (having not seen either.) I'll see about nabbing a copy this weekend, if it's still available. Which it should be, considering that, in retrospect, I probably didn't need to rush to the store the instant I heard about Ran.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby BenShultz » Mon May 18, 2009 2:41 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:AUGUST: Tati's Playtime (1967) and Kurosawa's Kagemusha (1980) (to compensate somewhat for losing "Ran"). :P

Aw man, that dream sequence should be incredible.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Wed May 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Anyone know the approx. release date for Walkabout?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:54 pm

^^^ TBD. "Howard's End" wins the online Criterion poll and will be released on BD later this year (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Criterion/Disc_Announcements/Howards_End_Coming_to_Blu-ray/2888); doesn't mean the other titles in the poll won't be released on BD but they'll be coming out (if at all) sometime in 2010 or beyond.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 pm

"Pierrot le fou" and "The Complete Monterey Pop Festival" coming to Criterion Blu-ray September 22nd: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Criterion_Collection/Disc_Announcements/Criterion_Announces_September_Blu-rays/2924.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Criterion lists "The Third Man" (BD and DVD) as 'Out of Print' on its website: http://www.criterion.com/films/236. Folks have been asking Criterion people to confirm this for the past few days and no answers. If you haven't gotten "The Third Man" on Blu yet you may not have a chance to do so once the already-made copies run out. :(
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby ACE44 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:05 am

One of my favorite Criterion releases is The Leopard. I'd like to see this get a Blu-ray edition. The DVD transfer was impressive and in 1080p the film-like quality would be fantastic.
ACE44
Law Clerk

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:29 am

Pierrot le fou BD is OOP (along with a bunch of Criterion DVD releases) at the end of March: http://www.dvdverdict.com/juryroom/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4095.

If you've been procrastinating now's the time to get it. I ordered it from amazon (through DVDVerdict's link of course! :)) and it's guaranteed to be the first of the soon-to-be OOP Criterion's to go fast. Then again, we're talking about JL Godard. ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray