Ok, question folks on purchasing a Blu-Ray Player

The wonderful world of high-def

Ok, question folks on purchasing a Blu-Ray Player

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Greetings everyone!

Ok, my rent is finally done, and while I don't have a full time job in my field yet (getting into the teaching market just at the worst time for employment in Ontario for that field), I am still employed as an overpaid stockboy at my job that put me through my B.a., M.a. and teacher's Ed. programs. Ok, I live in my parents basement and will need to buy a car at some point soon, however...

I have seen a number of Blu-Ray players that are now below or slightly above 100 bucks. My question is: are these players any good at that level? I've heard that there are compatability issues with certain discs and players, and I'm not sure if delving into the Blu-Ray market is a good idea in general. I am however, tempted (especially after seeing how bad The Dark Knight looked on DVD).
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Re: Ok, question folks on purchasing a Blu-Ray Player

Postby Stubblecat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 pm

I sit sqaurely on the side of paying a bit more and getting a PS3. There are two MAJOR reasons for this line of thought:

1. Let's just say Blu-ray for some reason dies as a movie format. Then you'll still have a top-notch gaming system with loads of available games which will soon be discounted quite heavily.

2. The PS3 is the most popular Blu-ray player in the world, meaning that all the bugs have been (mostly) ironed out and whenever new ones pop up there are literally millions of people ready to let Sony know about it. Upgrades and patches are easily available, there's tons of support and the company is probably sturdy enough to not go bankrupt in 6 months time, leaving your warranty useless.

Sure, if you don't do any gaming then it's a bulky ugly monstrosity. But even if you buy just one button-masher (like the endlessly delightful Lego games) then it'll be worth it.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm

The PS3 is not bulky or ugly. It is a very beautiful piece of machinery. There may be a slim model coming soon, wait a month or so and we should know.

The PS3 is the fastest and largely the best. The thing about blu ray is that cheap players suck. Pretty much any dvd player is fine, but BR is very different. Cheap players not only have issues and lack features but they also perform badly. Load times will drive you bonkers and hitting the remote three times before it acts, and then it registers all three at once will also annoy you.

Get the cheap one if you must, but plan on upgrading soon.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Hmm, thanks guys. I guess I will be holding off for a while still, dang it. I will make this reason 77 for continuing to fight to get a real job as soon as possible
;)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 am

I was thinking since my last post. I still recommend a PS3, but barring that I recommend blu ray. See if you can find a cheap one that upconverts DVD. What resolution is you TV? The real resolution and not just the supported resolutions? That makes a big difference.

Not to back peddle but here's the thing. Blu ray is better, and a good blu ray player will make DVD better.

Any techie guru's here? Which is better, a DVD player that puts out a SD image upconverted by the TV or a BR player that puts out an upconverted image to a TV at it's native resolution?
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Stubblecat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:44 am

I'm no techie, but I have my PS3 hooked up to my Samsung home theater which has an upcoverting player built-in. I've compared the upconverting on both and found the PS3 delivers a somewhat sharper picture on my 46" 1080p LCD screen. The difference isn't huge, mind you, but at least some of my standard DVDs manage to look dazzling either way.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 am

Yeah, one of the techie sites did a side by side with a few upscaling players (Toshiba's last gen HD-DVD, Sony's high end Blu-ray, a dedicated upscaler, and a TV with a built in upscaler using the same chipset as the stand alone box) - i think it might have been Ars Technica, and the PS3 flattened everything else in the upscaling department. They were gobsmacked by it.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 am

Ok, took some digging to find the booklet that came with my parents TV, but here we go. Please keep in mind that much of this, try as I might, goes over my head a bit:

My parents bought a ViewSonic N3752w LCD TV, 37 inches. its recommended resolution is 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz (a simple 1080p, 1080i or 720 etc. would not have hurt to make matters simple). It's worked pretty well in displaying the 1080i signals we recieve for broadcast television, and up-converter DVD player me and my siblings bought my parents at Christmas last year has worked really well as far as display on the Television, even though we are stuck using analog cables at the moment. Not sure if any of this is overly relevant. Thanks for the help :)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:06 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, took some digging to find the booklet that came with my parents TV, but here we go. Please keep in mind that much of this, try as I might, goes over my head a bit:

My parents bought a ViewSonic N3752w LCD TV, 37 inches. its recommended resolution is 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz (a simple 1080p, 1080i or 720 etc. would not have hurt to make matters simple). It's worked pretty well in displaying the 1080i signals we recieve for broadcast television, and up-converter DVD player me and my siblings bought my parents at Christmas last year has worked really well as far as display on the Television, even though we are stuck using analog cables at the moment. Not sure if any of this is overly relevant. Thanks for the help :)

Your parents' TV has a native resolution of 720p, but is capable of receiving and down-converting a 1080i signal. None of this has much influence over which upconverting DVD player or Blu-ray player you should buy, except that you really only need DVDs to be up-converted to 720p.

And, just for the record, yes, a Blu-ray image will be noticeably superior to DVD even when played back on a 37-inch, 720p display.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, took some digging to find the booklet that came with my parents TV, but here we go. Please keep in mind that much of this, try as I might, goes over my head a bit:

Your parents' TV has a native resolution of 720p, but is capable of receiving and down-converting a 1080i signal. None of this has much influence over which upconverting DVD player or Blu-ray player you should buy, except that you really only need DVDs to be up-converted to 720p.

And, just for the record, yes, a Blu-ray image will be noticeably superior to DVD even when played back on a 37-inch, 720p display.

Thanks! The more I hear, the more it sounds like a wait option till I can move out and afford a decent TV. I figured that it wasn't overly likely the television was 1080 i or p, but it is good to know that the Blu-Ray would be a noticeable improvement If I do take that option.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm

I would make the suggestion to set the DVD player to 720 though. My understanding is that what you do otherwise is upscale just to the tv can downscale it a little.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I would make the suggestion to set the DVD player to 720 though. My understanding is that what you do otherwise is upscale just to the tv can downscale it a little.

Unfortunatly, I can't adjust that till I either become willing to pay for the HDMI cables that are overpriced here, or wait and find a nice, cheap set of cables. Thanks though :)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:01 pm

In another thread I'm contemplating getting an LG BR drive for my computer. Is it worthwhile with my 22" Samsung LCD monitor? It's a SyncMaster 226BW. Will it "do" BR well?
*Sigh* Why does things have to be so complicated?
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I would make the suggestion to set the DVD player to 720 though. My understanding is that what you do otherwise is upscale just to the tv can downscale it a little.

Unfortunatly, I can't adjust that till I either become willing to pay for the HDMI cables that are overpriced here, or wait and find a nice, cheap set of cables. Thanks though :)

Without HDMI you probably aren't actually getting upscaling. Most players block that I think due to digital rights and placating the studios. Radioshack has them, ebay has them, there is even a nice set with Planet Earth at Sears that has rebates inside on the purchase of Samsung BR players.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:38 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:

Without HDMI you probably aren't actually getting upscaling. Most players block that I think due to digital rights and placating the studios. Radioshack has them, ebay has them, there is even a nice set with Planet Earth at Sears that has rebates inside on the purchase of Samsung BR players.

Makes sense. Well, that will probably be the next purchase then when I settle on which exact cables to go with. Thanks!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:54 pm

-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks! Pricing around here a bit and weighing the exchange rate/shipping costs, but should have a decision made soon. Thanks once again!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Ok, finally said screw it and bought the cables and have hooked it up. Just a question: should the player be set to 720x480p, or 1280x720p?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:43 pm

1280*720 is the same as 720p
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:24 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:1280*720 is the same as 720p

Excellent, thanks!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 am

Ok, set it all up last night and tested it with PUNISHER WAR ZONE (ok, not a great film, but visualy impressive and recent enough to check against a modern standard), and it was a MASSIVE improvement. Never realized how washed out the image looked before.

Thanks again to everybody and mkiker in particular for the assistance!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Ok, a postscript: After seeing how improved the video is, I've decided to say to hell with it and start saving for a PS3. Cruse you all for your convincing me ;)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:18 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, a postscript: After seeing how improved the video is, I've decided to say to hell with it and start saving for a PS3. Cruse you all for your convincing me ;)

This is to be your first purchase - this your second.

There is no other way.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Ok, a postscript: After seeing how improved the video is, I've decided to say to hell with it and start saving for a PS3. Cruse you all for your convincing me ;)

This is to be your first purchase - this your second.

There is no other way.

Looks interesting, though I am not much of a gamer. We shall see, oh great Steve :D

EDIT: one thing is for sure. Once I actually manage to save enough money, the one thing which will probably be my first Blu-Ray purchase will be this: http://www.amazon.ca/Road-Warrior-Blu-r ... 452&sr=8-5

ANYTHING has too look better than the DVD of that release.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Stubblecat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 pm

It sort of sucks to think that you might just be saving for another chunk of hardware that will soon be obsolete, but I guarantee that you'll get your investment back in time enjoyed.

And look how they're still knocking out PS2 games. Even if the PS3 system basically goes t*ts up in 6 months, you can easily get your investment back in cheap games and movies at the highest quality with tons of support.
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Stubblecat wrote:It sort of sucks to think that you might just be saving for another chunk of hardware that will soon be obsolete, but I guarantee that you'll get your investment back in time enjoyed.

And look how they're still knocking out PS2 games. Even if the PS3 system basically goes t*ts up in 6 months, you can easily get your investment back in cheap games and movies at the highest quality with tons of support.

True, but has it not been the case that Blu-ray has actually been making market gains in a time when most products seem to be going down hill? I've been holding off for a good while in part to A) format war and B) make sure the format doesn't die. The Digital Bits, which is usually fairly trustworthy (though if there is an issue with them, please inform me!) and seems to think that the future of the format is secure. Any other thoughts on this?

And you're from Kitchener? I lived in Waterloo for five years. Too bad I didn't know before now!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:46 am

The Bits tends to be a tad "Blu-ray happy" to the point that they're really sort of hitched their wagon to it. So it's not to say they aren't trustworthy, but they certainly have a Blu bias.

As for the PS3, it ain't going anywhere. I guarantee you it will still be cranking out some amazing product after the 360 is dead and buried.

NO ONE hasn't liked Uncharted. You will be converted.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Stubblecat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:00 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Stubblecat wrote:It sort of sucks to think that you might just be saving for another chunk of hardware that will soon be obsolete, but I guarantee that you'll get your investment back in time enjoyed.

True, but has it not been the case that Blu-ray has actually been making market gains in a time when most products seem to be going down hill? I've been holding off for a good while in part to A) format war and B) make sure the format doesn't die. The Digital Bits, which is usually fairly trustworthy (though if there is an issue with them, please inform me!) and seems to think that the future of the format is secure. Any other thoughts on this?

And you're from Kitchener? I lived in Waterloo for five years. Too bad I didn't know before now!

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that Blu-Ray was dying a premature death or anything, merely offering the worst-case-scenario. The PS3 games are all essentially Blu-Ray discs, so Sony will make sure that the technology has a full and robust lifespan.

I've lived in Kitchener for 10 long years. I'm from Halifax originally, though. And I miss it like the dickens. K-W isn't my favourite place in the world.
Stubblecat
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:29 am

Steve T Power wrote:The Bits tends to be a tad "Blu-ray happy" to the point that they're really sort of hitched their wagon to it. So it's not to say they aren't trustworthy, but they certainly have a Blu bias.

Ah understood. Thanks!

As for the PS3, it ain't going anywhere. I guarantee you it will still be cranking out some amazing product after the 360 is dead and buried.

Leave it to Sony to keep making every last dime they can with the system ;) Actually, my younger brother has been home for the summer and I've been playing his 360, returning me to gaming for the first time since the death of the Genesis a long time ago in that era known as the 1990s. Been fun, though Stranglehold really takes some patience if one is not a full blown gamer.

NO ONE hasn't liked Uncharted. You will be converted.

The great Steve has spoken, and I shall see what I can do when the time comes!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:35 am

Stubblecat wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that Blu-Ray was dying a premature death or anything, merely offering the worst-case-scenario. The PS3 games are all essentially Blu-Ray discs, so Sony will make sure that the technology has a full and robust lifespan.

Ah ok, misunderstanding on my end. I tend to be a bit paranoid on these things and like to make sure I know what I can before going ahead!

I've lived in Kitchener for 10 long years. I'm from Halifax originally, though. And I miss it like the dickens. K-W isn't my favourite place in the world.

Really? Sorry to hear you're not a fan of the area. I attended Wilfrid Laurier for five years and grew to love the place. Then again, I am from farther down in Southern Ontario, and seeking to get out, so Waterloo might get massive points based solely on the lack of comparision on my end :)

Still, it has the Princess Cinema, which I would love to be able to attend regularly again.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:01 am

the5thghostbuster wrote: returning me to gaming for the first time since the death of the Genesis a long time ago in that era known as the 1990s.

There is a Genesis Collection game for the PS3 that features 40 games or so. It's been given a HD makeover and there's a good # of keepers on the disc.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:35 am

hoytereden wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote: returning me to gaming for the first time since the death of the Genesis a long time ago in that era known as the 1990s.

There is a Genesis Collection game for the PS3 that features 40 games or so. It's been given a HD makeover and there's a good # of keepers on the disc.

I just parted with it. Outside of Beyond Oasis i just couldn't go back. And Streets of Rage got Nothing on Final Fight! You heard me Dave!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
hoytereden wrote:

I just parted with it. Outside of Beyond Oasis i just couldn't go back. And Streets of Rage got Nothing on Final Fight! You heard me Dave!

I remember seeing that package a while back. suprised me that such a market exist for the older games. Maybe gamers and film geeks have more in common than we realize ;)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:43 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
hoytereden wrote:

I remember seeing that package a while back. suprised me that such a market exist for the older games. Maybe gamers and film geeks have more in common than we realize ;)

I am neck deep in both worlds - there is truth to that statement. *wink*
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Sorry to bother everyone again, but how well does the audio on Blu-Rays play through two channels?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:09 pm

It's fine. That's what I'm using. The PS3 slim is official now. I'm not sure how that bodes on the old style ps3 or if there are any difference. Functionally I assume they are the same.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:31 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:It's fine. That's what I'm using. The PS3 slim is official now. I'm not sure how that bodes on the old style ps3 or if there are any difference. Functionally I assume they are the same.

Thanks for the help.

More than likely it should function the same, I'd imagine. Save for the game backwards compatiblity, which seems to already have been eliminated for the most part.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:18 pm

EDIT: removed for realizing the stupidity of my question.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

IT IS DONE! I have the PS3 slim, and ROCKY BALBOA looks fantastic displayed on a 1080i screen (turns out that is the make resolution on the monitor).

However, having a bit of trouble hooking it up to the wireless and doesn't seem to want to play BARAKA. Any advice on the latter? I assume it may be a SW update, but not sure.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:IT IS DONE! I have the PS3 slim, and ROCKY BALBOA looks fantastic displayed on a 1080i screen (turns out that is the make resolution on the monitor).

However, having a bit of trouble hooking it up to the wireless and doesn't seem to want to play BARAKA. Any advice on the latter? I assume it may be a SW update, but not sure.

Ok, turns out te BARAKA disc I bought was defective, so back to Amazon.ca it goes.

With the refund, picked up 300 (older disc) and THE FLY on blu ray.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:IT IS DONE! I have the PS3 slim, and ROCKY BALBOA looks fantastic displayed on a 1080i screen (turns out that is the make resolution on the monitor).

You need to go into manual settings and force the PS3 to put out a 720p signal instead of 1080i, and I have three reasons

1. Maximum resolution isn't native resolution. The TV accepts 1080 but most likely is converting it to 720p. The PS3 doesn't know native resolution as that for some reason isn't part of the HDMI spec, so it just uses the highest accepted resolution. In essence the PS3 is upconverting media so the TV can downconvert it again.

2. 720p is 720 lines per refresh. 1080i is 540 lines per refresh. 720 is actually higher resolution per refresh.

3. Games and fast motion do better with p than i as there aren't artifacts from the interlacing / de-interlacing.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:

You need to go into manual settings and force the PS3 to put out a 720p signal instead of 1080i, and I have three reasons

1. Maximum resolution isn't native resolution. The TV accepts 1080 but most likely is converting it to 720p. The PS3 doesn't know native resolution as that for some reason isn't part of the HDMI spec, so it just uses the highest accepted resolution. In essence the PS3 is upconverting media so the TV can downconvert it again.

2. 720p is 720 lines per refresh. 1080i is 540 lines per refresh. 720 is actually higher resolution per refresh.

3. Games and fast motion do better with p than i as there aren't artifacts from the interlacing / de-interlacing.

I'll fiddle around with it and test which displays best over the next few days. Thanks!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray