What's taking so long on obvious titles?

The wonderful world of high-def

What's taking so long on obvious titles?

Postby Future Man » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Jaws, Alien(s), Raiders, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, etc. I'd "double" [as if!] dip in a second.
Future Man
County Attorney

Re: What's taking so long on obvious titles?

Postby Dimwitted » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Rights issues, scheduling issues, likelyhood of recouping costs etc.

Need more?
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Spielberg & Lucas, Lucas especially, are slow to bring their titles to new formats. We will see Spielberg movies before we see Lucas films. I would be willing to bet we will see the Alien family of films sometime next year.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:17 pm

HGervais wrote:Spielberg & Lucas, Lucas especially, are slow to bring their titles to new formats. We will see Spielberg movies before we see Lucas films. I would be willing to bet we will see the Alien family of films sometime next year.

Apparently some promotional advertising for a forthcoming Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray set has been spotted floating around, indicating a release in the not-too-distant future.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 pm

The Indiana Jones films will all be available by this time next year, alongside Back to the Future, and i'm told Jurassic Park and Jaws are in the works as well.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:55 am

Of course, George needs to re-edit the Star Wars titles, making them even more unrecognizable from the originals. While he'll further desecrate the OT, rumor has it he's going to digitally add talented actors in place of Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen... :lol:
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 pm

I wish he could digitally add in a real director and a real script while he is at it. Can they insert a heart and soul?
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

cdouglas wrote:Apparently some promotional advertising for a forthcoming Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray set has been spotted floating around, indicating a release in the not-too-distant future.

The best part is that the BD is apparently being renamed Alien Tetrology because someone at Fox finally realized that "Quadrilogy" isn't an actual word.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Of course, George needs to re-edit the Star Wars titles, making them even more unrecognizable from the originals. While he'll further desecrate the OT, rumor has it he's going to digitally add talented actors in place of Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen... :lol:

Fingers crossed for Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick, Jr.

It's looking like Jurassic Park and The Lost World will be out in time for Christmas. And Saving Private Ryan maybe in the next few months.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Personally I like the term quadrilogy better, but perhaps that's just me. I'm used to Latin based naming schemes from school even though ancient Greek is also prevalent. Either way all the words we use were made up at some point in time so a new one that fits the proper format shouldn't hurt. How many times is quad used to mean four and how many times do you see tetra? Is something a tetraped or a quadruped?

Not meaning to argue, I'm just bored.

I've been watching HDNation online to see what catalog titles are coming out and it's kind of surprising sometimes. They'll be the string of new releases and then something you've forgotten about. 10 Things I Hate About You just hit blu ray. They aren't showing up as fast as DVD launched, but they are at least still trickling out. I think with BR the studios feel less urgency. It was known that VHS was crap but with DVD to BR it's almost as if it's only a double dip. Like it's just a remaster or something and not a true new format. Does that make sense?
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Eric Profancik » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Seriously! Where the heck is I Come in Peace?!?!?!?
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby Patrick Bromley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

And you go...IN PIECES.
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:17 am

someone had to say it.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:54 pm

Where is CONAN THE BARBARIAN, CONAN THE DESTROYER and GHOSBUSTERS II on Blu?!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

"SAVING PRIVATE RYAN BD 5/4"

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 am

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#020810b.
Speaking of Paramount (and DreamWorks), the studio has just set Escape from L.A. and K-19: The Widowmaker for release on Blu-ray Disc on 5/4, along with... wait for it... the Saving Private Ryan: Sapphire Series Blu-ray we've mentioned previously! Escape from L.A. and K-19 will have the same extras as the previous DVD releases. We're waiting for additional Saving Private Ryan details, but expect new extras in addition to what's previously been included on DVD.
Happy now??!! :D
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN BD 5/4"

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:00 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#020810b.
Speaking of Paramount (and DreamWorks), the studio has just set Escape from L.A. and K-19: The Widowmaker for release on Blu-ray Disc on 5/4, along with... wait for it... the Saving Private Ryan: Sapphire Series Blu-ray we've mentioned previously! Escape from L.A. and K-19 will have the same extras as the previous DVD releases. We're waiting for additional Saving Private Ryan details, but expect new extras in addition to what's previously been included on DVD.
Happy now??!! :D

VERY!
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Blu-ray