BD Live-The New DVD ROM?

The wonderful world of high-def

BD Live-The New DVD ROM?

Postby hoytereden » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone use this feature? Remember when DVDs first came out and the DVD ROM feature was supposed to enhance the viewing experience but withered and died because it was such a hassle to go from player to PC? Honestly, I don't find much about the various BD Live features to make me want to sign-up. Plus, I know that it's one (the?) reason that most discs won't resume play if you stop the disc. GRRRRRRR!!! Probably my biggest pet peeve about the format.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: BD Live-The New DVD ROM?

Postby Michael Stailey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 pm

In most cases these days, there's nothing of value there. The studios tried like hell to use it as a channel for evergreen content (see Transformers HD DVD) and in-movie experiences (see Sleeping Beauty BD), but -- big surprise -- people are more interested in the film itself than any bells & whistles slapped on after the fact.
Michael Stailey
Chief Justice

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:49 am

DVD rom sucked precisely because you HAD to cart the DVD to your PC, BD-Live is good because you don't have to.

Some of the ideas are fantastic - community screenings and chat sessions with the directors etc. recording and sharing your own commentaries, all of that jazz - and the appeal for me is that you don't need to be on the PC to do it.

The flipside is i just don't have the free time or pretentiousness(in terms of commentary tracks) to devote to taking advantage of the features, and i'd be willing to bet that the majority of movie watchers (the same people who hated root menus on DVD) will blissfully ignore the feature. It's like they're trying to convert the process of watching a movie into an idle timesink. That's what i have video games for.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 am

Steve T Power wrote:The flipside is i just don't have the free time or pretentiousness(in terms of commentary tracks) to devote to taking advantage of the features, and i'd be willing to bet that the majority of movie watchers (the same people who hated root menus on DVD) will blissfully ignore the feature. It's like they're trying to convert the process of watching a movie into an idle timesink. That's what i have video games for.

Exactly. I'm happy with the film and extras but chatting with others while watching the film? I have just about zero tolerance with talking to my own family while viewing much less having a round table discussion while the film rolls by.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray