Universal Brings 'Flipper' Combos to Blu-ray in 2010

The wonderful world of high-def

Universal Brings 'Flipper' Combos to Blu-ray in 2010

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 pm

From http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3819:

In an industry first, Universal Studios Home Entertainment announced today the introduction of "groundbreaking" dual-format discs containing both Blu-ray and DVD versions of some of the studio's most iconic films. The new "flipper" discs will launch on January 19, 2010 with the spy thrillers 'The Bourne Identity', 'The Bourne Supremacy' and 'The Bourne Ultimatum', premiering in the US as individually packaged Blu-ray discs (see blu-ray.com, November 29).

According to Universal. this makes it "ideal" for anyone planning to upgrade to Blu-ray at a future date as well as current owners of both Blu-ray and DVD systems. Each side of Universal's flipper discs includes the entire movie as well as all available bonus features.

"Universal's flipper discs are the perfect way for consumers to future-proof their collections while still enjoying their favorite movies on all their existing DVD players," said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "The flipper disc offers an easy way for viewers to convert to Blu-ray now or at any time in the future, confident in the fact they will be able to experience their home entertainment purchases in the highest quality picture and sound when they do."

Flipper BD/DVD discs were tested in the early days of DVD, but they were deemed impractical. It is unknown what development has made them possible now, and if any other company has worked in the development.

In 2006-2008, when Universal supported HD DVD exclusively, they were the major studio that most often went for combo editions, using it for most of its new releases and even some catalog titles.

I liked to have HD-DVD/DVD combo discs when Universal and Warner supported HD-DVD. If properly encoded and priced (the downfall of the concept on HD-DVD was that studios charged a premium price for combos, making them $5-10 more expensive that standalone HD media) this idea could take off on Blu-ray. 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Universal Brings 'Flipper' Combos to Blu-ray in 2010

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Yeah, Universal flippers! The most reliable product ever!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:52 am

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:34 am

LOL! The dreaded FLIPPER hailed as a technical advancement, and the strategy to "FUTURE PROOF" your collection. Ha ha ha ha ha!

I think Disney has the right idea by packaging both a BluRay and DVD copy on separate discs. You can watch SNOW WHITE at home on the BluRay copy, but also leave the DVD in the van's player for when you are on a twenty hour road trip with kids. A flipper just wouldn't do in that scenario, you'd have to keep up with it, and not let the kidlets scratch the beejesus out of it.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:04 am

There are few things I hate as much as flipper discs, so this sounds like a pretty terrible idea to me. I agree with Brett; the Disney approach of including both a Blu-ray disc and a DVD is a better way to go.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 pm

The problem with the disney system is also it's greatest advantage in that the discs can be seperated. Give one to mom and keep one at home for example. Disney is at worst cutting sales in half. Perhaps it won't be a problem with Disney but I could see it being one if done on a wider scale.

I haven't kept up but has Snow White appeared on Ebay split up?

Personally I say keep it like it is. If people want BR they'll get it. A free DVD copy is nice but will it get more sales or is it just a waste of resources. Instead let people make digital copies on a disc if they want it.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:The problem with the disney system is also it's greatest advantage in that the discs can be seperated. Give one to mom and keep one at home for example. Disney is at worst cutting sales in half. Perhaps it won't be a problem with Disney but I could see it being one if done on a wider scale.

They're not coming anywhere near cutting sales in half. Any losses are likely neglible becasue only a tiny percentage of consumers would bother with that. Disney knows their target demo. A sizable portion of parents of young children who have to choose between high-definition and portability will choose the latter. Blu-ray's great, but it won't save your ass when you have to take a 10-hour road trip in the minivan.

Universal is over-thinking it, and in the process they're about to create a product that will be nearly universally despised (pun intended).
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Yeah, it's certainly a sign DISNEY is the king of their demographic. I can't imagine CRITERION creating two disc packs. Imagine needing both a BluRay and DVD copy of THE SEVEN SAMURAI for the kids on a car trip! Or BLUE UNDERGROUND?!!?
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:23 pm

I hope they come in snapper cases!
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Crap idea, from a studio that has seen better days.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 am

A retro concept that is "groundbreaking" :? ...go figure.

When I first looked at the title of J.M.'s post I thought-"Wow, the dolphin tv seies is coming to Blu-ray. :lol: God I hated that show. Sorry, just ramblin'
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Daniel Kelly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 am

Just include DVD and Blu-Ray copies and leave the (horrible) past behind. In honesty the return of the flipper would probably lower my purchases and increase my theatrical visits and rentals.
Daniel Kelly
Law Clerk

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 pm

'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray