The African Queen

The wonderful world of high-def

The African Queen

Postby HGervais » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:19 pm

It's official. Via The Digital Bits:
First though, some breaking (and exciting) release news! We've been telling you it was coming and now it's FINALLY official: Paramount has just announced John Huston's The African Queen for DVD and Blu-ray Disc release on 3/23, fully-restored with a new 4K HD transfer from the original three-strip negative and approved by the film's original cinematographer! Yes, the FINAL missing entry of AFI's 100 Greatest Movies list arrives in multiple versions, including a single-disc DVD (SRP $19.99), a single-disc Blu-ray (SRP $26.99) and also Limited Edition DVD (SRP $34.99) and Blu-ray (SRP $43.99) box sets. All of them will feature the new Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen documentary, featuring interviews with Martin Scorsese and many others. The box sets also include an "audio disc recording of the original Lux Radio Theater broadcast of The African Queen, a reproduction of Katharine Hepburn's out-of-print memoir The Making of The African Queen or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind, a Senitype film frame reproduction and postcard reproductions" of images from the film. All we can say is, it's about damn time! Can't wait to see it in HD.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: The African Queen

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:32 pm

I caught this this morning on blu-ray.com, and thought it HAD to be a type-o. Glad it wasn't.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby SmokestackJones » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey there,

Great news. Since I don't do stuff small I'll HAVE to have the box set and, now that I'm into the Blu, it'll be the BD set. Bye-bye extra money...

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My reading of A Christmas Carol
SmokestackJones
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:29 pm

you tease!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:04 am

"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Return to Blu-ray