Inglourious Basterds DTS audio - no cows

The wonderful world of high-def

Inglourious Basterds DTS audio - no cows

Postby William Lee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 am

Anyone else notice that the soundtrack on the Inglourious Basterds BD is scaled back from the theatrical version? I distinctly remember hearing cows outside the farmhouse in the opening scene. After the second or third time we heard 'mooing' my friend remarked how loud the cows were. I hear no cows on the BD.

Shosanna's lunch with Goebbels also sounds like it takes place in an empty cafe despite it looking very busy. While watching it in the theatre I thought this is going to be a pretty rich surround mix when it hits home video. Evidently not. No slight against the very good sound that is on the BD. But, this is the first time I've noticed that the theatrical and home listening experience of the same movie are different.

BTW, my reference is the Canadian Blu-ray release by Alliance, which I assume is the same disc as the Universal-labeled release in the US.
William Lee
Law Clerk

Re: Inglourious Basterds DTS audio - no cows

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am

It's possible that Tarantino messed with the mix before releasing it on home video. I know he had talked about tinkering with the film a few times. There was an interview somewhere where he talked about not being "quite finished" with it, as the production was so rushed.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:35 pm

I just watched the DVD and can't recall hearing them. The two time I saw it in theaters, there were some chuckles after the second moo from the audience. I wonder if Tarantino witnessed this (he's well known for sneaking into public screenings throughout opening weekend and gauging audience reactions) and decided to cut them as no one should be laughing during that scene.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:37 am

Where is Christopher Walken when you need him? "More cow[bell]!"
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby William Lee » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm

I wonder if Tarantino witnessed this (he's well known for sneaking into public screenings throughout opening weekend and gauging audience reactions) and decided to cut them

I hope Tarantino doesn't subscribe to the "movies are never finished; they're only abandoned" theory.
William Lee
Law Clerk

Postby William Lee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:20 am

The movie's sound editing and sound mixing are Oscar-nominated, so it's a shame the theatrical audio isn't replicated on DVD and BD.
William Lee
Law Clerk

Return to Blu-ray