This Or That?

The wonderful world of high-def

This Or That?

Postby HGervais » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

So I'm going to buy a PS3 because region-free Blu-ray players are still too expensive. I'm not much of a gamer, although I will probably buy a couple and I doubt I will be downloading much stuff. So pretty much movies, streaming content and probably so internet surfering....what do I want....the 120 GB version or the 250GB MacDaddy for $50.00 more? Is it better to future proof even a little in a case like this?
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: This Or That?

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Just go with the 120.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:15 pm

It's hard to say really. The HD is easy to change but you won't want to go through the hassle of it. However how much space will you need. Downloaded games take up a fair amount over time and purchased videos from the PSN can eat up space.

My call would be to spend the 50 now and not worry again unless you are rather sure that it is mostly for Blu Ray. 50 bucks to prevent a future headache is small potatoes.

Here's the thing. To upgrade later you'd need three drives. The one in it now, one to back up to, and one to put in. They don't offer a direct ghosting feature since the machine formats new drives on install. Then you have the old drive and the middle man drive that are useless to you. You'd also need the middle drive to be fat32 and a 120 gig fat 32 drive is going to be funny to work with.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 am

Or, you know, you could just copy save games onto a USB drive.

pop in your new hard drive, log into your account ,and copy those save files right back over.

That said, i've used the backup and restore functions with an external 300GB usb drive (easily formatted to FAT32 with a free software utility.)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am

50 clams is pricey for 130GB of extra memory. You could get an external drive with a lot more space for that price. And it's unlikely that you'll even need all of the 120GB. I use my PS3 pretty much the way you say you're going to use yours, Harold. I have the old 40GB model and haven't even come close to filling the hard drive.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 pm

So thanks. I went with the 120 GB version. I must admit, I'm getting kind of excited about the whole 1080p/Blu-ray thing.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 am

HGervais wrote:So thanks. I went with the 120 GB version. I must admit, I'm getting kind of excited about the whole 1080p/Blu-ray thing.

And so you should be. I'm tellin ya man, Blade Runner, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Casablanca right out of the gate, you will be stunned... Before you even get to your couch you'll be like a deer in headlights.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby The Butcher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm

and for games, you should download the demo for Heavy Rain, of course i think you'll dig it and then you'll need to go and buy the full game.

i bought mine just for movies (hadn't played a video game in almost 10 years) but I think I play more games now, there are some really good ones out there. Bioshock is another one you'll probably like (both of 'em).
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

The Butcher wrote:and for games, you should download the demo for Heavy Rain, of course i think you'll dig it and then you'll need to go and buy the full game.

i bought mine just for movies (hadn't played a video game in almost 10 years) but I think I play more games now, there are some really good ones out there. Bioshock is another one you'll probably like (both of 'em).

I finished the retail Heavy Rain last night - it was jaw-droppingly stunning from start to end.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am

The more I look around the more I think Heavy Rain is going to be my first game.

Let me ask this, is there a Netflix type site for games?
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 am

HGervais wrote:The more I look around the more I think Heavy Rain is going to be my first game.

Let me ask this, is there a Netflix type site for games?

Gamefly.com
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 am

Gamefly has a two week free trial but you need a coupon code to get it. Unlike netflix which just gives the two weeks to everyone. Use the url www.gamefly.com/hdnation and it should work. Otherwise they just give you half off a full month which requires paying in advance. Money wise it's the same but I'd prefer a free trial.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby The Butcher » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:43 pm

download the demo, you'll just buy the gaem after you play it. I'm gonna try to get it this week, but I'm still palying bioshock 2 and FF13 comes out in 2 weeks, so I gotta see how my cash flow is, but I'll play it before summer
Just a person who protects children and other living things
The Butcher
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

So I can't get my PS3 connected to the intertubes. I have an ancient wireless router, so I'm thinking that is probably the problem, yes? The PS3 acknowledges I have a wireless signal in the house but won't go any further. Does this sound like I'm headed in the right direction?
HGervais
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:07 am

Where exactly does it fail? It acknowledges the signal. Does it have it's name listed? If the name is listed you you just click right to select encryption method, right again to put in the key, then it should all be automatic from there. The PS3 should work with any G capable router. It can use DHCP and auto detect most settings.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

Another thought but verify security settings on the router. Try turning off all security and mac filtering to see if it connects. Then turn it back on in steps. Encryption first (WPA), then the make sure the mac address is in if you use mac filtering, lastly turn the firewall on. If it breaks at any point you know the culprit and we can troubleshoot further. Some people swear by putting the PS3 in a DMZ on the router. I don't bother and haven't had any problems.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray