need a new player

The wonderful world of high-def

need a new player

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm not happy with my Samsung unit. It's not wifi and using test discs I found out that it's introducing a fair amount of overscan. On a 32 inch tv I'm losing about a half an inch on each side. Not horrible, but not ideal. Any BR recomendations?

I need
- wifi built in
- decent speed (the samsung is slow compared to my PS3
- low price around 250 bucks or less
- rgb output setting would be nice (I can download the manuals to look for that) since my TV seems to know widescreen better set like that

I'm kind of guessing on the RGB output. I know setting my PS3 to RGB made it work smoother with widescreen and making the black bars for 4*3 material. The samsung doesn't have that setting but it makes the black bars anyway. However it's possible that not having RGB is why I'm getting overscan.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: need a new player

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 pm

To update, I set my PS3 to output video as those compnent letters instead of RGB. That is indeed where the overscan comes from. My TV seems to work better as RGB. The Samsung unit has "monitor mode" which I think is the same thing but for some reason it's greyed out. My next player has to have RGB output to work properly with these TVs.

The TV's are AOC Envision's. I have two just alike. They are some odd resolution natively like 738p which I'm told is normal.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray