I'm Totally Missing The Boat Here...

The wonderful world of high-def

I'm Totally Missing The Boat Here...

Postby stypee » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Okay, so we all know I bought the BLU RAY player gizmo thingy... I'm having a bit of a problem here and I'm hoping it's just me.

I have a 32' Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV set.. I'm using HDMI cable and have everything set to 1080p.. What the hell am I missing? I see no difference between Blu-Ray and just standard DVD.. I really hope this is just me because I spent a small fortune double dipping into Blu Ray.

I have been told that it's the size of the T.V. that counts.. Someone had mentioned to me that I really wouldn't notice anything drastic because I don't have a bigger set...

Anyone know what the hell I'm missing out on? Please make me feel better.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: I'm Totally Missing The Boat Here...

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:54 pm

With a 32" set, you're definitely not going to get the full effect, but I'd think you'd at least see an improvement in the depth of the image as well as color reproduction.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:54 pm

It depends on the movies but I see an improvement. Part of the confusion is that the player you have is upscaling the DVD so it looks good from a distance. It can't compete on detail however so look closely. You'll notice a mild blur or softness to the dvd that a BR won't have.

A few good BR's are there to test the specs though. Planet Earth is good on scenes with animals. You can see the individual hairs on them and DVD won't ever give that. The Imax scenes in Dark Knight are crystal clear as well. A more subtle choice would be the new Harry Potter. It has a clarity that sort of immerses you rather than wowing you.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Look at completely digital production as well. Coraline is absolutely unbelievable in BR, from colour depth to the amount of detail that just isn't there on the dvd. That should show up even on the smallest monitor.

OTOH, it shows you just how good your setup is.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:54 pm

UP! looks amazing as well. Certainly worth a test. It also has a rather nice set up section to make sure your TV is calibrated properly.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am

I just watched Coraline, and yeah, it's some kind of detailed, watch several Pixar movies and freeze frame it, you'll see details you never saw before, like in Cars, you can see tiny bits of rubber coming off the tires in the racing scenes.
However, check your TV's settings as well. When I first went Blu-Ray, there were several settings on my Olevia that I had to change to get the full effect. it could well be the same with yours. Your HDMI cable might be an issue as well, don't go cheap on it and you'll be all right.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Maybe a silly question, but is the Sharp a 1080p display? If not then, no matter what the size, you won't be getting all the resolution the Blu-ray offers.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 pm

hoytereden wrote:Maybe a silly question, but is the Sharp a 1080p display? If not then, no matter what the size, you won't be getting all the resolution the Blu-ray offers.

Based on the quick search I did on the Sharp site, no, it isn't. It's a 1366 x 768 display, which means it will be down-converting the Blu signal to 720p, no?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Maybe a silly question, but is the Sharp a 1080p display? If not then, no matter what the size, you won't be getting all the resolution the Blu-ray offers.

Based on the quick search I did on the Sharp site, no, it isn't. It's a 1366 x 768 display, which means it will be down-converting the Blu signal to 720p, no?

Actually, that information is wrong.. My set is 1080p, it's on the manual and the back of the set. It also has the abliity to switch between 720p and 1080p.. I have checked the website and my model, for some strange reason, isn't listed.

I also watched INGLORIOUS BASTARDS last night on standard dvd.. I now see the difference between both Blu-Ray and Standard - I am totally blown away and now sold on Blu Ray... The standard version looked like crap!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray