Blu-Ray sounds good by itself?

The wonderful world of high-def

Blu-Ray sounds good by itself?

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 am

OK, what all have you got hooked up to your Blu-Ray players for sound? Of late, my old SONY home theater system had some issues so tonight I totally disconnected it after a speaker blew out. I'd been planning on watching The Mummy and was ready for the sound to be average going through the TV speakers, but it sounded amazing!! Olevia's aren't known for great sound, but it came through so well that I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with another home theater setup. Sure, I won't be able to crank up the volume as high, but as there's not that many movies in my collection that I'd want to, so what would be the point.
Anyone else notice the major jump in sound quality without using a home theater setup?
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Re: Blu-Ray sounds good by itself?

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 am

I noticed a pretty huge bump either way. I'm running through a sony 5.1 receiver with Quest and JBL speakers. The amp doesn't support the fancy new HD audio formats, but the added bitrate of what's on there definitely makes a difference.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Eric Profancik » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 pm

When I bought my PS3 I went out and bought a new Yamaha receiver so it could decode all the audio formats. I'm glad I did because they really rock. My old subwoofer wasn't up to the challenge and it too was soon replaced. All my speakers are relatively inexpensive Sony speakers but they work well for me. If you aren't using a surround system for Blu you are missing a lot.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 am

I also made a receiver upgrade. Went with the Onkyo 805 when it hit closeout and have been very pleased since it does decode the new HD audio formats. I don't have a audiophile's ear but I can tell you that the uncompressed audio is quite a bit better than the standard DVD formats. I was skeptical, but after hearing my first test Blu-ray disc (Master and Commander) I was convinced.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:43 am

hoytereden wrote: I was skeptical, but after hearing my first test Blu-ray disc (Master and Commander) I was convinced.

Well, yeah, that's one of the best sounding movies I've ever heard. It was also the Blu-Ray that allowed me to truly appreciate the film whereas it hadn't been one of my faves before.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 am

Dunnyman wrote:
hoytereden wrote: I was skeptical, but after hearing my first test Blu-ray disc (Master and Commander) I was convinced.

Well, yeah, that's one of the best sounding movies I've ever heard. It was also the Blu-Ray that allowed me to truly appreciate the film whereas it hadn't been one of my faves before.

It's actually my favorite - I've never had another film transport me to another place/time so utterly convincingly. it's also my show off disc when new folk drop by - that opening sequence is a stunner - best sounding disc i've ever heard.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dark Knight » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:07 pm

I had to buy a new receiver as well and got a nice 5.1 Insignia on sale at Best Buy. I have a Jensen speaker system.
Everything is sounding amazing.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Return to Blu-ray