Trying to hook up to BD-LIVE

The wonderful world of high-def

Trying to hook up to BD-LIVE

Postby stypee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Hmm.. hard to phrase this question, see if you can follow me on this one...

My Blu-Ray player doesn't have a WiFi gizmo thingy... It does have an ethernet connection. I was thinking of hooking it up to a router as if I would a computer. According to the manual (in insturctions I really don't understand) I have to get a router and hook it up to a broadband connection via the ethernet cable. I think it says that I need both. I can't do that because the main hub to the internet (DSL) is in my father's office in another room. Would it be possible to just use a router or do I need both?

Hope this makes sense..
Thanks in advance.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Trying to hook up to BD-LIVE

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Welcome to Blu Ray hell. I still think people who design these things should be put in a home for the criminally short sighted. They design the spec around the net, yet don't give the average user a way to actually hook the thing up. Only the top of the line products have wifi but that bar has been coming down steadily.

There is no sub 100 dollar way to hook internet up. It doesn't have DHCP and needs to be feed a wire with decoded and ready to go internet. You can

1- use a laptop
2- get a wireless bridge sometimes called a gaming adapter. Note that this term can be misleading. It has to handle all settings. A simple wifi adapter for a PC won't work
3- get powerline adapters. They use the electrical wiring as ethernet cable.

A router has to be hard wired. What you are thinking of is usually called a bridge. Sometimes a "repeater" but then that could mean a wired repeater so again the terms get confusing.

Actually Mad Cats makes an N bridge that I've seen go on Ebay for around 50. Mad Catz has a bad reputation with gamers of being budget titles heavy on the cheap aspect of budget however a bridge is a bridge and I don't see how they could go wrong. Especially for something as simple as BD-Live

http://cgi.ebay.com/MadCatz-Wireless-N- ... 0351762588
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: Trying to hook up to BD-LIVE

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Just to update, it looks like a batch of "open and tested" adapters are on ebay now. If you can snag one for cheap what the heck. I plan on picking on up myself just to play with.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray