Criterion Collection For April

The wonderful world of high-def

Criterion Collection For April

Postby HGervais » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm

It sure looks like Criterion is falling into a pattern of high def upgrades and newer, interesting material. I for one LOVE Blow-Out and think that a serious case could be made for it as DePalma's most complete movie. And nice to see Ken Loach represented.

#175-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/Terry Gilliam
#218-Le cercle rouge/Jean-Pierre Melville
#356-Sweetie/Jane Campion

#560-White Material/Claire Denis
Maria is an entitled white woman living in Africa, unwilling to give up her family’s crumbling coffee plantation despite the civil war closing in on her. White Material is a gripping evocation of the death throes of European colonialism and a fascinating look at a woman lost in her own mind.

#561-Kes/Ken Loach
Named by the British Film Institute as one of the ten best Britsh films of the century, Ken Loach’s Kes concerns Billy, a fifteen-year-old miner’s son whose close bond with a wild kestrel provides him with a spiritual escape from his dead-end life.

#562-Blow Out/Brian De Palma
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Criterion Collection For April

Postby cdouglas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Wow, Blow-Out, awesome! Far and away my favorite De Palma film. A lot of other cool stuff this month, too. Also glad to see that the Criterion version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is getting an HD upgrade, as I've come close to biting on the nearly bare-bones Blu-ray release that's out now a few times.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 am

Blow-Out and Le Cercle Rouge will be mine.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm

HGervais wrote:It sure looks like Criterion is falling into a pattern of high def upgrades and newer, interesting material. I for one LOVE Blow-Out and think that a serious case could be made for it as DePalma's most complete movie. And nice to see Ken Loach represented.

#175-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/Terry Gilliam
#218-Le cercle rouge/Jean-Pierre Melville
#356-Sweetie/Jane Campion

#560-White Material/Claire Denis
Maria is an entitled white woman living in Africa, unwilling to give up her family’s crumbling coffee plantation despite the civil war closing in on her. White Material is a gripping evocation of the death throes of European colonialism and a fascinating look at a woman lost in her own mind.

#561-Kes/Ken Loach
Named by the British Film Institute as one of the ten best Britsh films of the century, Ken Loach’s Kes concerns Billy, a fifteen-year-old miner’s son whose close bond with a wild kestrel provides him with a spiritual escape from his dead-end life.

#562-Blow Out/Brian De Palma
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination.

I enjoyed Kes when I saw it on TCM but I swear it was the first film I ever saw, in English, that needed subtitles. Very tough accents to decipher.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to Blu-ray