Huge! Criterion's August Slate

The wonderful world of high-def

Huge! Criterion's August Slate

Postby HGervais » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm

This one serious month of film from Criterion.

#68/Orpheus-Jean Cocteau

#249/The Battle of Algiers-Gillo Pontecorvo

#391/If....-Lindsay Anderson

#575/The Killing-Stanley Kubrick

#576/Secret Sunshine-Lee Chang-dong

#577/Cul-de-Sac-Roman Polanski

#578/The Complete Jean Vigo
À propos de Nice/1930
Zéro de conduite/1933
L’Atalante/1934

And from Eclipse:
Eclipse Series 28: The Warped World of Koreyoshi Kurahara
Intimidation-Koreyoshi Kurahara 1960
Elegantly stripped-down and carefully paced, Intimidation (Aru kyouhaku) is a moody early film from one of the Japanese New Wave’s preeminent stylists.
The Warped Ones-Koreyoshi Kurahara 1960
The anarchic descent into amoral madness that is The Warped Ones (Kyonetsu no kisetsu) sounded a lost generation’s cry for help and kicked off Japan’s cinematic sixties with a bang.
I Hate But Love-Koreyoshi Kurahara 1962
Inspired by Preston Sturges’s Sullivan’s Travels, I Hate But Love (Nikui anchikusho) is a high-octane romantic comedy and road movie.
Black Sun-Koreyoshi Kurahara 1964
You’ve probably never seen anything quite like this manic, oddball, anti–buddy picture about a young, jazz-obsessed Japanese drifter and a black American GI on the lam in Tokyo.
Thirst for Love-Koreyoshi Kurahara 1967
Kurahara adapted a novel by Yukio Mishima for Thirst for Love (Ai no kawaki), a tense psychological drama about a young woman who is widowed after marrying into a wealthy family.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Huge! Criterion's August Slate

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon May 16, 2011 12:34 pm

I am all over Cul-de-sac and Battle of Algiers. I wish they'd put out an HD remaster of The Killers before tackling The Killing, though.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Worth mentioning:
Anyway, you know how I said that "now all we need is a Blu-ray of Killer's Kiss and we'll have the complete authorized Kubrick catalog in HD!"? Well... guess what's INCLUDED on Criterion's The Killing Blu-ray as an extra? That's right - Killer's Kiss from a restored print! I've asked Criterion if the film is going to be in HD on the Blu-ray and I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. Either way, at least it's there in good restored quality. A LOT or people e-mailed me about this this morning, so clearly there's plenty of interest in this title. Thanks to all of you! [Editor's UPDATE: Criterion just got back to me to confirm that Killer's Kiss WILL be in HD on the Blu-ray. GREAT news!]-The Digital Bits
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Mark Van Hook » Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 am

That Vigo set looks absolutely essential. Ditto The Killing.
Mark Van Hook
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm

HGervais wrote:Worth mentioning:
Anyway, you know how I said that "now all we need is a Blu-ray of Killer's Kiss and we'll have the complete authorized Kubrick catalog in HD!"? Well... guess what's INCLUDED on Criterion's The Killing Blu-ray as an extra? That's right - Killer's Kiss from a restored print! I've asked Criterion if the film is going to be in HD on the Blu-ray and I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. Either way, at least it's there in good restored quality. A LOT or people e-mailed me about this this morning, so clearly there's plenty of interest in this title. Thanks to all of you! [Editor's UPDATE: Criterion just got back to me to confirm that Killer's Kiss WILL be in HD on the Blu-ray. GREAT news!]-The Digital Bits

That would be great news if they do Killer's Kiss on Blu. Have to echo Mr. Forbes wish for The Killers in HD.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat May 21, 2011 12:13 am

hoytereden wrote:
HGervais wrote:Worth mentioning:

That would be great news if they do Killer's Kiss on Blu. Have to echo Mr. Forbes wish for The Killers in HD.

Oh I'm ready for The Killers on Criterion blu but I'm also really ready for more film noir on blu from Criterion like Night and the City, Thieves Highway, Blast of Silence, Brute Force, Ace in the Hole and Pickup on South Street.
HGervais
Judge

Return to Blu-ray