What is William Friedkin doing on the audio commentary of...

The wonderful world of high-def

What is William Friedkin doing on the audio commentary of...

Postby stypee » Sat May 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Okay so I got the double disc extended theatrical super edition blu-ray edition of THE EXORCIST.. I'm watching it right now actually.. AnyEEAway, I'm got the audio commentary on with THE EXTENDED CUT and I'm about 35 minutes into it and all Friedkin is doing is giving a narration of what's happening on the screen, it's like I'm watching an audio book.. I know the commentaries on the THEATRICAL CUTS are really good but what the hell is the point of this one? I'm really bored and hoping Friedkin says a few coolio things here and there about the flick he just mentions what extra scenes were thrown in, defends why and continues narratting he movie.. Am I missing something?

btw.. I don't think I've been this excited about a blu-ray release in a long time, I know I'm a bit late but man, this is a fun package for every film geek!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: What is William Friedkin doing on the audio commentary of...

Postby Dimwitted » Sat May 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Friedkin is famous for his poor commentaries. I don't think he knows what to say. It's weird, you'd think that they had never heard commentaries before. OTOH maybe it's just that they don't have the clout of Spielberg to say no. Spielberg has said before that the reason he doesn't do commentaries is that he has nothing to say. What he has to say was on the screen, anything else is redundant and unnecessary.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I thought Friedkin's commentary for "The French Connection" (Five Star Collection 2-disc set from Fox) was pretty good. Some dry spots, but I liked what I heard and it expanded my enjoyment of the movie. What other commentaries from Friendkin has he done that may have tagged him as bad at this?
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:24 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:I thought Friedkin's commentary for "The French Connection" (Five Star Collection 2-disc set from Fox) was pretty good. Some dry spots, but I liked what I heard and it expanded my enjoyment of the movie. What other commentaries from Friendkin has he done that may have tagged him as bad at this?

I have that "French Connection" sitting in my father's house in NY. I need to check that out again, I did enjoy that commentary. I'm going to have to sit down and watch the first one he did with Blatty for "The Exorcist", that I recall was well done.

Did he do one for "Cruising"? I don't remember.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray