Blu Ray region encoding

The wonderful world of high-def

Blu Ray region encoding

Postby Attrage » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Apologies if this topic has been covered off before, but can someone bring me up to speed on blu-ray region coding? Context: here in Australia we get a pretty limited (read: crappy) selection of blu-rays released, and from reading reviews on DVDVerdict I see that in the US heaps of titles I would like on blu ray have been released. If I order a blu from the US will my Australian-made blu ray player play it??
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: Blu Ray region encoding

Postby Dimwitted » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 am

Maybe. Not all BR's are region coded. Look for the region free tag in reviews. Also, you can buy region free BR players. Generally the cheaper Chinese players.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Burson_Fouch » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 am

You also have to consider if Australian television uses the PAL or NTSC standard.

US discs will use NTSC, which isn't compatible with a PAL television. I'm not an expert but I believe PAL is the typical standard adopted in the UK during the 60's. Not sure if that includes Australia.

Oppo makes some very respectable blu ray players which not only automatically perform PAL/NTSC conversion but can also be purchased with some after-market tinkering that will allow you play discs from any region.

Do a google search on "Oppo region free blu ray" and you should find some reputable dealers selling them online.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 am

Burson_Fouch wrote:You also have to consider if Australian television uses the PAL or NTSC standard.

PAL/NTSC is not an issue for HD content. If there are SD features, they will not be viewable between PAL/NTSC regions, but the 1080 stuff isn't effected, even on non-HD TVs.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Return to Blu-ray