Suspiria

The wonderful world of high-def

Suspiria

Postby stypee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Yes, I am aware of the hatred from some of you but I happen to love this film.

Any ideas on when a U.S. Blu-Ray is coming?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Suspiria

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

With Argento it's hard to tell. His movies go to different studios which is part of why it's confusing. If I remember Troma (sp) even had the rights to one for a while.

Our best bet would be if some specialty firm like Blue Underground or even Criterion picked them up in a package deal, that is unlikely however as far as I know.

I think Anchor Bay had a few of his movies on DVD when they still existed, but they are no more. That's kind of sad because they really liked to push out the product. They'd have a few different editions out by now ;)
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:21 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:With Argento it's hard to tell. His movies go to different studios which is part of why it's confusing. If I remember Troma (sp) even had the rights to one for a while.

Our best bet would be if some specialty firm like Blue Underground or even Criterion picked them up in a package deal, that is unlikely however as far as I know.

I think Anchor Bay had a few of his movies on DVD when they still existed, but they are no more. That's kind of sad because they really liked to push out the product. They'd have a few different editions out by now ;)

I think Anchor Bay's biggest downfall was just that - squeezing every special edition they could possibly squeeze to the point where even the uber fans had enough. How many versions of Halloween do we need? And "special divimax re-releases of the sequels? How many versions of "Army of Darkness" are they? They missed the ball BIG time when they released the DIVIMAX edition of Halloween - their first Super Special Edition Limited Release was just fine, even the release after. The DIVIMAX is horrid it looks like the colors were tweaked in an attempt to make it look like a McG film - I've never seen something THAT green. It sucks even more because the Blu-Ray is the DIVIMAX edition.

I think they double dipped the Argento films twice? They also had those "double feature" discs.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I thought AB was gone but apparently they are back. I know after they were bought by Starz they went to a family friendly format but this http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Blu-ray ... CAY9RQKJUJ is very nice indeed. Oddly enough the other Romero movies aren't on Blu Ray from them at least.

What killed Anchor Bay was allowing themselves to be bought. Yes the double dipping was annoying but we put up with it. According to the Wikipedia they relaunched back in 08. It's sad that by then a horror fan such as myself had written them off so completely that I didn't notice their return. I used to have an entire Anchor Bay section in my dvd library. Now I just have Day of the Dead divimax and the Dawn of the Dead ultimate box set.

Back on topic a little, the Anchor Bay DVD of Suspiria was nice. I see that Blue Underground indeed has a DVD out of it now so I'd try writting to them and asking if they plan on renewing it (as the DVD is still available but listed as out of print on their site.)
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Burson_Fouch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 am

stypee wrote:Yes, I am aware of the hatred from some of you but I happen to love this film.

Any ideas on when a U.S. Blu-Ray is coming?

I broke down and bought the Region 2 blu-ray on Amazon.UK. It's a great transfer and has some nice supplements. The same is true for the Inferno blu-ray that Arrow released last year.

I've long stopped waiting for the US releases and bought an OPPO region free blu-ray several years ago.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Blue underground claims they no longer have the rights. They seem to be expiring many Argento movies so they must be one of those companies that signs short term deals. Like Image, Criterion (sometimes) and a few others do. That's very annoying. At least Anchor Bay tried to hold on to their cataloug.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

I thought Suspiria was public domain...

also... ugh...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am

The only good thing Dario Argento ever made is Asia.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 am

Dan Mancini wrote:The only good thing Dario Argento ever made is Asia.
Preach it.
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 pm

In the US public domain doesn't really exist thanks to Disney having the laws rewritten to give people rights perpetuate regardless of their registering for them. It's just some things are so lost in the paperwork that companies know they can get by with it, or the rights holders no longer exist.

Suspiria as far as I can tell fell out of rights in the US but was never really PD anyway since Dario held international rights. I suppose it's like Anime. You can't legally broadcast it here but if the company has no US branch often you get by with it.

My problem with Argento is that I saw the best first. He did make a lot of mediocre stuff and after seeing the best of his work I just sort of felt disillusioned watching the rest. Suspiria however is a good one.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am

Granted, Argento can't tell a coherent story to save his life but I just love he works the camera and yes a large majority of his most recent films just lost that trademark I've always been inspired by his camera tricks.

I have considered getting an OPPO type player but I don't really feel it's worth it right now, especially with my nominal income. I moved again back in Feb.

Suspiria really does deserve the ultimate Blu-Ray release. If it's done right I think the three color process he used for the film would look breathtaking.

Thanks for looking into the Anchor Bay stuff by the way - going to check that out. Had no idea they came back either. I'm also surprised that their Ultimate Dawn of the Dead box set is sold so cheaply. I wonder if another double dip is in the works.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Now you're a good Suspiria...
You'll do no one else any harm...
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby stypee » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Image

i wish to relieve myself on you.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 pm

stypee wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Image

i wish to relieve myself on you.

I like the original title better: "Blue Filters are SCAAAAAARRRRYYYY!"
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Blu-ray