noob

The wonderful world of high-def

noob

Postby molly1216 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:25 am

can you run a blue ray system on an old tv?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: noob

Postby mavrach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 am

molly1216 wrote:can you run a blue ray system on an old tv?

A standard definition TV? In theory, probably, but there'd be an issue with connectors. Don't Blu-Ray players all use HDMI connectors? An SD TV would only take stuff like the RCA (red, yellow & white) cables. You'd have to somehow down-convert the HDMI cable into an older cable.

That'd be like running an Atari 2600 on a new 1080p HD TV ;-)
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Burson_Fouch » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:23 am

mavrach wrote:
molly1216 wrote:can you run a blue ray system on an old tv?

A standard definition TV? In theory, probably, but there'd be an issue with connectors. Don't Blu-Ray players all use HDMI connectors? An SD TV would only take stuff like the RCA (red, yellow & white) cables. You'd have to somehow down-convert the HDMI cable into an older cable.

That'd be like running an Atari 2600 on a new 1080p HD TV ;-)

It's possible using an HDMI to Analog converter. You can buy one at Amazon.com, they start around $35.00. Obviously, there'll be signal deterioration, I've never tried it but it probably looks no worse than VHS.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:25 pm

thanks
i was just trying to decide

i need to replace my tv before i buy a blu ray player
and morally i can't replace the tv until it breaks..or i have money...which never happens
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Actually if a used blu ray player pops up it would have RCA outputs. They have to be a little over a year old. My nephew uses one on an SD tv. I don't know if models from Canada or Mexico would have RCA jacks since the MPAA is the reason we in the US don't.

However I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it. If you are looking for a media player then by all means get one as they can be future proof.

Then again the Sony PS3 still has an RCA cable so if you find one of those cheap it would be a Blu-ray, Netflix, Amazon, media player all in one.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:12 am

Yep - even if a game never kissed its lips - the PS3 is a fantastic investment as a blu-ray player/netflix/streaming box.

There's also on demand video rentals in HD day and date with home video release (and earlier in many cases - the PSNetwork had Prometheus and Dark Shadows weeks before release).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Blu-ray