Friday the 13th-Uncut

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Friday the 13th-Uncut

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Nectar from the digital gods to more than a few people around here. Details from DVD Times:

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Friday the 13th (Uncut, Deluxe Edition) on 3rd February 2009. Sean S. Cunningham directs this horror classic which is given a new DVD release to coincide with the theatrical release of the remake.

Details are slim on the classification, but the Uncut status is backed up by an Unrated US Rating (instead of the previous editions’ R rating). Extras include:
Commentary by director Sean Cunningham (on the WB international version - trying to access*)
Fresh Cuts: New Tales from "Friday the 13th"
Man Behind the Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham
Friday the 13th - Special Reunion
Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 1
Theatrical Trailer - Used on 2004 release

*The wording used here would suggest Paramount are trying to gain approval to use the commentary found on the Warner international DVD releases.

Also released are new Deluxe Editions of Friday the 13th Part 2 and Friday the 13th Part 3 3D. Introducing the Jason we all know and love, these discs are R rated and offer the following extras…

Friday the 13th Part 2
Inside Crystal Lake Memories
Horror Convention
Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 2
Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular
Jason Trivia Track (text)
Jason Forever - Used on 2004 release/Best Buy bonus disc
Theatrical Trailer - Used on 2004 release

Friday the 13th Part 3 3D - No extras listed / extras TBC.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Friday the 13th-Uncut

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Finally, a good reason to buy this title.

I'm there. I've heard for many years that the gore scenes were extended, and the MPAA made them trim them up to get the acceptable "R" rating. The first one should be worth owning with the other two only falling into mere "guilty pleasure" category.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby tucco » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I own the Region 2 version of the uncut Part one.
I bought it a few years ago....The kills are indeed extended and more shocking.

I think the early eighties Fridays, 1 through 3 are the "real deal". After that he's just a monster.

People rag on part three, but he's so sadistic, he smiles and takes visible pleasure from the terror he is inducing.....that's usually the redeeming quality invoked about part 3 and is why i love it despite it's cheesiness. He loves his work and he's human.....and always looking for new and fresh ideas....Jason is a great American......a maverick!
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Personally I'd like to see uncut versions of all the films if they were cut in the first place. I know aside from Part 1, Part 7 is notorious for its editing both theatrically, and again when it hit home video.

Still though, for my money nothing tops this scene as being the creepiest in the whole series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recnmGBCNYU
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 am

I'm a big fan of horror movies, and I always enjoyed the Friday the 13ths, but yeah... they became this routine thing. After Part 3 we got formula formula formula, and it ceased being even slightly scary. Course the same can be said for almost any horror series.

I have a 3-D print of Part 3, and I still find it one of the weaker entries. It's just really lamely plotted and timed. I agree Jason seems a bit more sadistic, and thank you Lord for making him get rid of the potato sack and go with the goalie mask. It has moments, but on the whole it seems slow and plodding. Also it seems pointless without the 3-D which was never all that great to begin with...

I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of "uncut" versions of the films after Part One. I think they got the kills down to a science in accordance with ratings. It's a fun run of films, but I would hardly run to the Best Buy to buy all the films even at a good sale price (well... maybe a really good sale).
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby tucco » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:36 pm

I remember all of us laughing at the 3-d in the theater. Popcorn?
IT does stink except for Jason.....He is full of joy! "Yeah it was ME who chased you last year"
The flashback of him chasing the main girl is one of the creepiest sequences in the whole series. There's actually some real suspense, and they just shy enough away from letting you see his face.
Our only experience with him was from part 2 and knowing he never failed is what made that chase so great......why he didn't kill her just makes it more interesting by accident.....does he merely molest or something sometimes? Well, there never was an answer to that unfinished kill.

It's like part 3 is this weird mix of the worst and best elements of the series in one movie.

I also love part 5 for it's entertainment value. It's hilarious. The real Jason does actually appear in visions to Tommy Jarvis so he is indeed in the movie unlike popularly claimed, even if he's not the killer.
I love hillbilly Ethel and her slightly-younger-than-herself son. He's incompetent but she's good in that part.
If find it more enjoyable than part 6 (except for the prologue which the movie does not live up to) The Sheriff is the most hateful "non-believing adult" in the history of cinema. After what everyone knows has transpired in the area, he simply will not believe Jarvis for one solitary second.......And the rest of the movie blows. It might be the worst of the bunch sans the prologue.
I think people recall this one fondly because of the prologue and not the movie itself....and the James Bond rip-off title sequence....that WAS cool but the movie? Part 5 entertains me but 6 just doesn't.
Part 4 is vastly over-rated in my opinion. It just looks a little better than the previous ones.
He morphs from believably f'd up human to a Salem's Lot/Elephant Man in 0 seconds screen time since it starts ) seconds after part 3 ends.
After part 6, we didn't expect scares anymore, just laughs.
His teleportation skills were the only frightening thing about the post 6 Fridays.
We went to Jason Takes Manhattan piling in the car laughing our asses of before even entering the theater. And the non deformed Jason boy at the end? Oh wow......what a slap in the goalie mask
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:02 pm

HGervais wrote:Nectar from the digital gods to more than a few people around here. Details from DVD Times:

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Friday the 13th (Uncut, Deluxe Edition) on 3rd February 2009. Sean S. Cunningham directs this horror classic which is given a new DVD release to coincide with the theatrical release of the remake.

A Blu-ray version of this uncut version of "Friday the 13th" is also scheduled to be released on the same day.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:28 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:
HGervais wrote:Nectar from the digital gods to more than a few people around here. Details from DVD Times:

A Blu-ray version of this uncut version of "Friday the 13th" is also scheduled to be released on the same day.

That's not very surprising. They seem to always release the two formats in tandem.
I'm not sure I would want a BluRay of the first film. It was decidedly low tech and an independent feature. It has to have grain and flaws to be charming or even close to the original experience.
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to DVD