still MIA

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

still MIA

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:06 am

African Queen where are thou? - I still have that asian copy as a placeholder.
i am also holding my breath for a digitally remastered with the color corrected the Quiet man the one that is available gives me a headache.

what other big items have still never appeared?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: still MIA

Postby HGervais » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 am

I have seen on more than one site that African Queen is due out next year on DVD & Blu-ray. I even think amazon has a page for it.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby SmokestackJones » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:07 am

Hey Mols,

That's an easy one now that a lot of my MIAs have made appearances in the last few years:

Island of Lost Souls - I thought it'd be out by now in some Universal Horror set.

Chimes At Midnight - *sigh* Someday, when the rights thing gets straightened out (and once it is, I hope it lands at Criterion).

I have placeholder copies, but I'd really like to own legitimate commercial copies. Another one that's a special case:

The Trial - This one is weird to me. I know it's out on PD, but it really needs a good, cleaned up version. Also, according to Wikipedia, it's PD, but you can't find it on, say, Internet Archive because there's some kind of extenuating rights issues that manages to block it's entry into IA. Confusing.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My reading of A Christmas Carol
SmokestackJones
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 am

HGervais wrote:I have seen on more than one site that African Queen is due out next year on DVD & Blu-ray. I even think amazon has a page for it.

i will believe that when i see it, they have been promising it for SOoo long, its got whiskers.
but it may be the LAST big picture..

except for WINGS and GREED
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 pm

HGervais wrote:I have seen on more than one site that African Queen is due out next year on DVD & Blu-ray. I even think amazon has a page for it.

I'm pretty sure that African Queen has been due out next year since 1999.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Observer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:40 pm

The Seven Per Cent Solution - Was reading about this the other day and realized I hadn't seen it. When I went to look for a copy, I was surprised to see it wasn't available on DVD yet. Maybe with the new Sherlock Holmes coming out something will happen.
"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about." The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
Observer
Paralegal

Postby BenShultz » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...Magnificent Ambersons?
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Observer wrote:The Seven Per Cent Solution - Was reading about this the other day and realized I hadn't seen it. When I went to look for a copy, I was surprised to see it wasn't available on DVD yet. Maybe with the new Sherlock Holmes coming out something will happen.

They are rereleasing a bunch of post rathbone sherlocks with a tie in cover.
This set also has Without a Clue...which I would own except the only DVD release so far was Full Frame
so i may buy this if it is WS.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Johnny Guitar ?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Johnny Guitar ?

good one... that was actually announced last year and then apparently cancelled
i found my want list notes:

The Uninvited (1944) anyone?
I Married a Witch (1942)
Westward the Women (1952)
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

just occurred to me that we haven't seen rutger hauer's Split Second rereleased..but if i am not mistaken the 02 release was FF anyway

i forgot James Whale's Show Boat ...the superior version...and a must see. like a few of these films i have a dvdr placeholder holding the spot open for a studio verison.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:39 am

I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)
I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)
both written and produced by Herman Cohen
both from American International
but ODDLY
How to Make a Monster (1958) IS out there..on a disc with Blood of Dracula (1958)

i wish this was predictable...
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:41 am

I still kind of wish someone would put Angus on DVD. I had to settle for digging up a torrent of a VHS Rip.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
-Tom Waits
barnaclelapse
City Prosecutor

Postby Stubby » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 am

The warner's archive program is scratching off a number of titles from my wanted list. I'm still waiting for the above suggestions in region 1 plus:
BLITHE SPIRIT
GREASER'S PALACE
GREAT CHASE
HURRICANE (1937)
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS
TIGER BAY
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939)
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN

and among guilty pleasures I'd like to see
BARBARIAN QUEEN (should have been released during the Phil Spector trial)
BIRDS DO IT (big Soupy Sales fan as a child)

Music related movies:
LET IT BE (Paul McCartney holding this up?)
THE NO NUKES CONCERT
THE T.A.M.I. SHOW

and a slew of TV shows like:
BATMAN (1960'S)
CAR 54
THE COMPLETE JACK BENNY SHOW
MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS
PARTNERS IN CRIME (c'mon-it starred Lynda(Wonder Woman )Carter and Loni (WKRP) Anderson
Stubby
City Attorney

Postby maintcoder » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:29 pm

I've been waiting for these titles (among many of the ones already listed)

The Naked and the Dead
The Kay Kyser films
In Which We Serve
Mediterraneo
White Mischief
The Glass Key
The Blue Dahlia
Nick: I'm a hero. I was shot 2 times in the Tribune.
Nora: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
maintcoder
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:34 pm

I'd love to get my hands on a Ellery Queen complete series set...the one with Jim Hutton & David Wayne.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:41 am

maintcoder wrote:I've been waiting for these titles (among many of the ones already listed)

The Naked and the Dead
The Kay Kyser films
In Which We Serve
Mediterraneo
White Mischief
The Glass Key
The Blue Dahlia

Kay Kyser's You'll Find Out is on the recently released Karloff/Lugosi set. Also, TCM is showing a couple of others later this month to help tide you over.
Those two Ladd noir titles are on my list too. Once again, TCM airs them fairly often, but I want them on DVD. For being a major noir figure Ladd is treated pretty poorly on DVD.

I'd like to see some of the film series such as:
Boston Blackie
Henry Aldrich
Crime Doctor
The Saint
The Falcon
Hildegarde Withers
East Side Kids/Bowery Boys-next year maybe???
etc, etc, etc.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby BenSaylor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

barnaclelapse wrote:I still kind of wish someone would put Angus on DVD. I had to settle for digging up a torrent of a VHS Rip.

Are you talking about the movie with George C. Scott from the 90s? If so, it's available through Warner Archive.
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:06 pm

It seems we'll never see:

1492: Conquest of Paradise - My R0 Aussie disc is a nice enough disc, but it screams for full on Scott Free SE treatment.
High Road to China - Who the hell even owns this flick these days?

There's also the whole Jim Cameron non-anamorphic collection:

The Abyss - A great SE with a HORRID picture. And this has been re-released what? Three times? This is shouting out loud for Blu-ray.
True Lies - More horrid looking video treatment for a film that deserves so much better.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Steve T Power wrote:The Abyss - A great SE with a HORRID picture. And this has been re-released what? Three times? This is shouting out loud for Blu-ray.
True Lies - More horrid looking video treatment for a film that deserves so much better.

Considering the studios' love of double-dipping, the shoddy treatment of those two flicks is outright mystifying. How, in the late stages of 2009, are there not at least anamorphic DVDs of each?
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:The Abyss - A great SE with a HORRID picture. And this has been re-released what? Three times? This is shouting out loud for Blu-ray.

Considering the studios' love of double-dipping, the shoddy treatment of those two flicks is outright mystifying. How, in the late stages of 2009, are there not at least anamorphic DVDs of each?

I'm still shocked over no Abyss re-release, but Cameron indicated that post 9/11 he had no desire to look at True Lies agan.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

I'm still shocked over no Abyss re-release, but Cameron indicated that post 9/11 he had no desire to look at True Lies agan.

That doesn't mean that Fox can't put out a decent transfer. I doubt Cameron has final say over whether or not the movie is rereleased.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:51 pm

If were going more modern...

The Company Of Wolves - great film, horrible DVD.
Santa Sangre - you know the drill...
Sam Raimi's Crimewave.
The Pawnbroker in its original aspect ratio. In fact I'll say any Sidney Lumet that isn't in OAR.
Brewster McCloud - so I can finally see it. looks very interesting.
Coppola's The Rain People- same thing.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:If were going more modern...
The Company Of Wolves - great film, horrible DVD.
It's been released but may be OOP. I know I saw a copy at my local B&N as recently as a few months ago.
The Pawnbroker in its original aspect ratio. In fact I'll say any Sidney Lumet that isn't in OAR.
I have seen discussion of this possibly falling to Criterion.
Brewster McCloud - so I can finally see it. looks very interesting.
No film better displays everything that could be great & frustrating about Altman.

I'm thinking I may have seen this via Warner Archive.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:48 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

That doesn't mean that Fox can't put out a decent transfer. I doubt Cameron has final say over whether or not the movie is rereleased.

Supposedly he controls anything Lightstorm in the same way Lucas controls Lucasfilm stuff. So it could very well be up to him.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Jon Mercer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:28 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Supposedly he controls anything Lightstorm in the same way Lucas controls Lucasfilm stuff. So it could very well be up to him.

After the crap hurricane he endured over the rights to Terminator over the years, you can bet Cameron sinks his hooks pretty deep into anything Lightstorm produces.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Harold

The Company Of Wolves - great film, horrible DVD. It's been released but may be OOP.I know I saw a copy at my local B&N as recently as a few months ago.

I looked around a little and this hasn't been rereleased yet.

The Pawnbroker in its original aspect ratio. In fact I'll say any Sidney Lumet that isn't in OAR.I have seen discussion of this possibly falling to Criterion.

That would be awesome. I think Deathtrap is also full-frame. I don't know if there are others...

I'm thinking I may have seen this via Warner Archive.

You're right it's been out since March according to the Warner site. Thanks!
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Re: Harold

The Company Of Wolves - great film, horrible DVD. It's been released but may be OOP.I know I saw a copy at my local B&N as recently as a few months ago.

Move down here to a real country dammit!
HGervais
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:58 am

HGervais wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Re: Harold

Move down here to a real country dammit!

That's the poor DVD I'm talking about. The transfer is pretty bad and there are no extras.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:That's the poor DVD I'm talking about. The transfer is pretty bad and there are no extras.

Ah...I was working off the thread and speaking of films that have not been released, not films that have been released in crappy versions. Although now that I think about it, this version of Company of Wolves might be an improved re-issue. I seem to recall it getting a double dip. Or maybe I'm thinking about a R2 release.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

HGervais wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:That's the poor DVD I'm talking about. The transfer is pretty bad and there are no extras.

Ah...I was working off the thread and speaking of films that have not been released, not films that have been released in crappy versions. Although now that I think about it, this version of Company of Wolves might be an improved re-issue. I seem to recall it getting a double dip. Or maybe I'm thinking about a R2 release.

That's cool, I only mentionned it cuz Steve mentionned the bad transfer on The Abyss...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 pm

These Three-It's remake (The Children's Hour) has been out for a while but this one still isn't. Merle Oberon sure was a beauty. I think it's a toss-up of who was more appealing with a tear in their eye-Oberon in this one or Bergman in Casablanca. :cry:
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby maintcoder » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:03 pm

I thought of a few more I have been waiting for...

Red Dust (1932) with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow
Skyscraper Souls (1932) with Warren William and Maureen O'Sullivan
maintcoder
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:31 pm

This one will probably never surface:
Amos 'n Andy Show tv series
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm

hoytereden wrote:This one will probably never surface:
Amos 'n Andy Show tv series

"Well shut my mouth" I just went to Ebay and it seems it is out. :shock: I just may pick this up.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 am

Boba Fett wrote:I'm still shocked over no Abyss re-release, but Cameron indicated that post 9/11 he had no desire to look at True Lies agan.

That's retarded. And sanctimonious. If Cameron wants to dis his own work, he needs to find a reason -- any reason -- to have no desire to see Titanic again. Billy Zane is a good place to start.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Stubby » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:23 am

Talk about coincidence. Earlier above I requested the rock n roll mid-60s movie 'The T.A.M.I. Show" and now it's been officially announced for release in March 2010.A great mix of American and British performers like The Supremes, Rolling Stones,James Brown ,The Beach Boys etc.
Stubby
City Attorney

Postby maintcoder » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:14 am

I watched The More the Merrier this week and it made me realize that The Devil and Miss Jones is still MIA. What's up with that?

And how about the Falcon and Boston Blackie movies?
maintcoder
City Attorney

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:01 am

There is a collection of Amos n Andy Shows. These, I believe are public domain and can be found at:

http://www.goldenagetvshows.com/amosgold.html

Amazon is also selling the same set too.

If you are interested in these shows, a good place to start is "Amos n Andy, A portrait of a controversy" available on Fancst and Hulu. It outlines how the TV show (the first with an all African-American cast) differed from the radio shows or movies (featuring creators Correll and Gosden in blackface).
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:36 am

Although there is an overpriced version of the DVD out there, a HD version Prospero's Books is well overdue. As St. Ebert said in 1991(!) this really one of the first films for Laserdisc. I'm sure that he would agree that an update on HD DVD is in order so viewers can take in the whole spectacle:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenav ... subsec=634
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:08 am

Watching The Bicycle Thief on TCM last night reminded me that De Sica's Miracle In Milan is still not out on DVD. :(
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

Since I'm getting into Fuller again, I've noticed a few missing titles of his:

Verboten!
China Gate
Merrill's Marauders
Park Row
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby BenSaylor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:Since I'm getting into Fuller again, I've noticed a few missing titles of his:

Verboten!
China Gate
Merrill's Marauders
Park Row

Merrill's Marauders is on DVD, and cheap too: http://www.amazon.com/Merrills-Marauder ... 793&sr=1-1

Unfortunately, it's not a very memorable Fuller film. I've seen China Gate on VHS; it's better than Marauders but still not a favorite. Run of the Arrow is another unavailable one that I'd love to check out someday. By the way, I like your Tolly Devlin pic.
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Postby SmokestackJones » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 am

HGervais wrote:I'd love to get my hands on a Ellery Queen complete series set...the one with Jim Hutton & David Wayne.

Pssst! Hey Harold:

http://www.nostalgiamerchant.biz/Ellery.htm

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My reading of A Christmas Carol
SmokestackJones
City Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 am

BenSaylor wrote:Merrill's Marauders is on DVD, and cheap too: http://www.amazon.com/Merrills-Marauder ... 793&sr=1-1

Unfortunately, it's not a very memorable Fuller film. I've seen China Gate on VHS; it's better than Marauders but still not a favorite. Run of the Arrow is another unavailable one that I'd love to check out someday. By the way, I like your Tolly Devlin pic.

Thanks, man. I'll have to check out MM, just to see it.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby BenSaylor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Nicholas Ray is pretty underrepresented on DVD; besides Johnny Guitar, there's a slew of his 40s and 50s films that have yet to get a release, although Warner Archive put out Party Girl and Criterion is releasing Bigger Than Life this year, which is great news. A lot of Ken Loach movies are also unavailable, at least in region 1. I'd love to own a nice DVD of Truffaut's last movie, Confidentially Yours. Several films Warren Beatty was in are not available: Mickey One, Promise Her Anything, The Only Game in Town, The Fortune, Ishtar. Granted, I've seen several of these and they're not particularly good, but still...
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 am

maintcoder wrote:I thought of a few more I have been waiting for...

Red Dust (1932) with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow
Skyscraper Souls (1932) with Warren William and Maureen O'Sullivan

Watching the documentary Thou Shalt Not Sin included on the Forbidden Hollywood Vol.2 set made me think of these two plus Employee's Entrance. Warren William made a great Pre-code villain.
Hopefully, there will be further volumns of this series. I love early '30s films.
p.s. Kay Francis is virtually invisible on DVD. :(
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby jameshock » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:50 am

She has written a biography, presented her name to a building, played as netkeeper at a FIFA World Cup and still scored a world record 130 goals at international level. Already an American legend, Mariel Margaret had little to prove in 2002. But Mia showed just why she is an idol to zillions by overcoming injury to lead her country to qualification for another world football finals.
jameshock
Law Clerk

Postby Paul Kile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 am

I think the previous poster is a little unclear on the concept....
UHHHH, like this is a site dedicated to DVD releases, it's not "Soccer Verdict"
UHHHH, MIA= Missing In Action, meaning DVDs we would like to see released sometime in our lifetime

Now for some relevant content, I'm still waiting for Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am

High Road to China...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:26 pm

My usual two that are out but not animporphic: Grosse Pointe Blank & Raising Arizona. I've yet to buy either because it seems like a no-brainer that these would get double-dipped. I should just cave and pick them up, that will probably trigger the Blu-Rays getting released.

The Last Dragon - It's in fullscreen only despite the box saying its widescreen.

At least give me a crappy Blu-Ray of these at this point.

I'm also interested in 1492 since it's one of the only Ridley Scott movies I haven't seen.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Next

Return to DVD