What did you get? Christmas Edition!

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Re: What did you get? Christmas Edition!

Postby hoytereden » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:31 am

Bill Treadway wrote:
hoytereden wrote:One of the few pet peeves I have about the format is the fact that with that extra storage capacity it is not fully utilized in instances like this. Both versions would easily fit on one disc. Just a gripe but I think a valid one. :?

Yes, it is a valid point. Blu-Ray would be an ideal format to package together multiple cuts of a film. And just imagine the wrestling DVD compilations one could get on the format..

I attended a Sony Seminar just prior to the PS3 launch and the rep was excitedly telling us "Just imagine all three films of the Lord of the Rings series on one disc!" Even at the time I thought I can imagine it but the companies won't do it. :(

Speaking of Wrestling-What do you think of the big shake-up on TNA? I think they're trying to recreate the glory days of WCW (with quite a few characters from that era) with the Hulk back in full NWO mode! :o
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:52 am

hoytereden wrote:
Bill Treadway wrote:
hoytereden wrote:One of the few pet peeves I have about the format is the fact that with that extra storage capacity it is not fully utilized in instances like this. Both versions would easily fit on one disc. Just a gripe but I think a valid one. :?

Yes, it is a valid point. Blu-Ray would be an ideal format to package together multiple cuts of a film. And just imagine the wrestling DVD compilations one could get on the format..

I attended a Sony Seminar just prior to the PS3 launch and the rep was excitedly telling us "Just imagine all three films of the Lord of the Rings series on one disc!" Even at the time I thought I can imagine it but the companies won't do it. :(

Speaking of Wrestling-What do you think of the big shake-up on TNA? I think they're trying to recreate the glory days of WCW (with quite a few characters from that era) with the Hulk back in full NWO mode! :o

The problem with this line of thinking is that the video and audio formats also eat a LOT more space than they did on DVD. Sure, you could get DVD quality compilations on there, but who'd want to spend the cash on them when Blu-Ray is supposed to deliver superior audio/video quality? I went back and watched the extended editions of Lord of the Rings a month or so ago, and visually, those discs have aged! Bring on the Blurays!

Now having the theatrical cut and extended cuts on a blu-ray via seamless branching - that's not too outlandish a request (and i know that's not what we're getting come March or April).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Bill Treadway » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 pm

hoytereden wrote:

That's exactly what Hogan and Co are doing with TNA. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes! I have my misgivings about Hogan in TNA. (His super tanned skin makes me think of fine Corinthian leather.)His selfishness and me-first attitude helped bring down WCW in flames. And the Carters don't have the billions Ted Turner did to limp along for a few years after the death knell strikes. And speaking of the NWO- Scott Hall looks awful. They should call him Mr. Puff.

Impact was a good show, though. At least it kept me interested for the full 3 hours unlike the 2 hour borefest that was Raw.

TNA does have two advantages over WWE: the X-Division and the women's division. All the women wrestlers they have are good to great, with the exception of Lacey von Erich, who is the Renegade of the 2000s..

I did review the WWE's DVD set of Starrcade on my blog, if you're interested in my view of WCW in those years. I think it may be the best thing I've ever done..

http://dvdupclose.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... ntial.html
Bill Treadway
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:34 am

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look. Yea, Scott Hall looked like he just landed after a busy day floating above a parade.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Bill Treadway » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 am

hoytereden wrote:Yea, Scott Hall looked like he just landed after a busy day floating above a parade.

I'll be waiting for the inevitable bottle of Methadone on a pole match with Hall and Jeff Hardy..
Bill Treadway
City Attorney

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 am

Dark Knight wrote:
thepegsdave wrote:Merry Christmas!
Christmas gifts:

Fonzie Favorites

Believe it or not, I got Fonzie Favorites from a buddy of mine for my birthday this year. Weird?

OK. A little update.
While watching the playoffs yesterday, I saw a commercial for the "World Of Wheels" coming this weekend to the convention center here in Pittsburgh.
Henry Winkler will be there. Could this be fate?
Since the convention center is a block from where I work, I may just have to go and get my Fonzie Favorites lp autographed.
I may ask him about the SNL Mardi Gras special from season 2 that I just watched the other day from the DVD set. Didn't realize that him and Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall were part of it.
I always heard that it was a drunken debacle and that's why it never was re-aired. Seemed fine to me. I mean sure the Mardi Gras itself is a drunken debacle, but there really wasn't too many crowd scenes.
So anyway, yeah, meetin' the Fonz! Heeeeeeyyyyyyy!
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Postby thepegsdave » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 am

Dark Knight wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Christmas gifts:

Fonzie Favorites

Believe it or not, I got Fonzie Favorites from a buddy of mine for my birthday this year. Weird?

OK. A little update.
While watching the playoffs yesterday, I saw a commercial for the "World Of Wheels" coming this weekend to the convention center here in Pittsburgh.
Since the convention center is a block from where I work, I may just have to go and get my Fonzie Favorites lp autographed.
I may ask him about the SNL Mardi Gras special from season 2 that I just watched the other day from the DVD set. Didn't realize that him and Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall were part of it.
I always heard that it was a drunken debacle and that's why it never was re-aired. Seemed fine to me. I mean sure the Mardi Gras itself is a drunken debacle, but there really wasn't too many crowd scenes.

Could I ask you for a huge favor?!

Could you get me a Fonzie autograph. I would love it. It would mean a lot to me. I'll pay for whatever S&H and whatever other costs that need to be covered.
thepegsdave
City Attorney

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

thepegsdave wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Christmas gifts:

Fonzie Favorites

OK. A little update.

Could I ask you for a huge favor?!

Could you get me a Fonzie autograph. I would love it. It would mean a lot to me. I'll pay for whatever S&H and whatever other costs that need to be covered.

I sent you a PM. Check your mailbox here.
"Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions Jerry?"
Dark Knight
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 pm

A little late but I got in the mail some gifts from relatives that I gave DVD's/BD's to during the holidays. Only one actual movie (District 9 on Blu-ray) but I now have a $10 Gift Certificate for Burger King (joy! :(), a $25 Macy's Gift Certificate (great, I can buy 1/3 of a pair of good gloves ;-)) and a $25 Gift Certificate for Ruby Tuesdays (had no idea what the heck this was until I went online to check... uhh, thanks? :?). So yeah, holiday fun. :cry:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Previous

Return to DVD