Roger Corman Makes Me Want To Shout!

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Roger Corman Makes Me Want To Shout!

Postby mhansen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Shout! Factory and New Horizons Picture Corporation Announce
Home Entertainment Deal

SHOUT! FACTORY SECURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT RIGHTS TO
EXTENSIVE ROGER CORMAN LIBRARY
Iconic Film Properties Include Piranha, Death Race 2000, Rock ’N’ Roll High School, Galaxy Of Terror, Starcrash, Humanoids From The Deep, Grand Theft Auto, Battle Beyond The Stars and more

Los Angeles, CA, January 13, 2010 — Shout! Factory and New Horizons Picture Corporation have entered into an extensive multiyear alliance to release a vast library of classic and new films from legendary producer-director Roger Corman, recipient of a 2009 Honorary Academy Award®, to the home entertainment marketplace. Under the terms of the agreement, Shout! Factory has secured the exclusive North American home entertainment rights to over 50 highly sought-after Roger Corman film properties. This announcement was made today by Shout! Factory founding partners Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos, and filmmaker Roger Corman.

“Roger holds an incredibly rich legacy in Hollywood. His cinematic works, spanning decades, continue to influence filmmakers worldwide. Many of his iconic films have been unavailable or long out-of-print in the home entertainment marketplace. There’s a lot of consumer interest in these films,” state Shout! Factory’s founding partners. “We’re thrilled and honored with this opportunity to work with Roger and New Horizons to bring his cinematic treasures back to their original luster and share them with movie fans.”

“We’re delighted to collaborate with Shout! Factory to make New Horizons’ historic library of films available for home entertainment,” said Corman. “We look forward to working closely with the entire Shout team for great DVD and Blu-ray releases ahead.”

Shout! Factory and New Horizons Pictures are working closely to remaster a number of great Corman titles that have been long out of print, some never-before-available on DVD and Blu-ray™. Moreover, Shout! Factory is currently producing a wide range of bonus content for special editions and double features for the launch of Shout! Factory’s Roger Corman’s Cult Classics home entertainment series.

The first titles to be made available from Roger Corman’s Cult Classics presented by Shout! Factory are the much anticipated cult thrillers Piranha Special Edition DVD, Humanoids From The Deep, Up From The Depths and Demon Of Paradise in April 2010; Piranha Special Edition Blu-ray, the memorable 1979 classic Rock ’N’ Roll High School Special Edition DVD and Blu-ray and the punk rock drama Suburbia in May 2010. Other Corman classics slated for 2010 release include Death Race 2000, Warlords Of The 21st Century, Deathsport, Forbidden World and Galaxy Of Terror, among others.

The saga of independent filmmaker-producer Roger Corman ranks as one of the most amazing motion picture success stories. Having produced more than 350 films and directed 50 others, his influence on American film goes far beyond his own energetic, creative low-budget movies. He is arguably one of Hollywood’s most gifted and masterful filmmakers.

Noted for his keen ability to spot young talent, Corman’s most lasting legacy will undoubtedly be the legion of producers, directors, writers and actors he has fostered, among them: Jack Nicholson, Francis Ford Coppola, Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Ron Howard, Peter Fonda, Jonathan Demme, Gale Anne Hurd, Diane Ladd, Tommy Lee Jones, Sandra Bullock, Bruce Dern, Talia Shire, Charles Bronson, Joe Dante, Peter Bogdanovich and Sally Kirkland.

About New Horizons Picture Corporation
Roger Corman’s New Horizons is America’s leading truly independent production and distribution company, specializing in cutting-edge, youth-oriented, modestly budgeted genre films for international, cable TV and domestic video markets. Roger Corman founded New Horizons in 1983 after the sale of its highly successful predecessor company, New World Pictures, which enabled Corman to continue producing films without managing a theatrical distribution company. New Horizons has a library of over 400 titles, including early films of Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, William Shatner, Tommy Lee Jones, Sylvester Stallone, Ron Howard, Sandra Bullock, James Cameron, Jonathan Demme, Peter Bogdanovich, Joe Dante and many others, and continues to produce a steady line of exciting genre movies, with the defining characteristics of youth, energy and the introduction of new talent.

About Shout! Factory
Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company’s audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable “best of” compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. With its fingers on the pulse of pop culture, Shout! Factory continues to impact the entertainment media landscape through acquisition of top quality programming for home entertainment releases. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit www.shoutfactory.com
mhansen
Chief Counsel

Re: Roger Corman Makes Me Want To Shout!

Postby booklover » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:58 am

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is due for an honorary Oscar? Seriously.
booklover
City Attorney

Postby Bill Treadway » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:16 am

booklover wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this guy is due for an honorary Oscar? Seriously.

Corman DID get an Honorary Oscar. Unfortunately, he and the other Honorary recipients (Lauren Bacall and Gordon Willis) got theirs in an untelevised ceremony last November because the idiots in charge of the Academy apparently felt that they couldn't spare time for the three Honorary Awards on the TV ceremony in March. Heavens forbid we take away time from the endless interpretive dance numbers and endless clip segments to honor three legends who are more than overdue for Oscars..
Bill Treadway
City Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:17 am

I just hope this means the MST3K eps featuring Corman movies will be coming along soon. If that happened, maybe the Sandy Frank ones will be next.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 pm

URGH!!! I am a huge Roger Corman fan and have a few of his movies on DVD (the re-release a few years ago), I'm excited to see him get the proper treatment but I'm also kind of agitated that I'm going to have to double dip and I will not sell what I have of his on DVD because their autographed!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 am

Hopefully the Shout releases will be better than the last two companies which released Corman library films. I want a fully loaded & cleaned up Saint Jack.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:08 am

Oh sweet! Piranha and Galaxy of Tower will be mine.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Return to DVD