The African Queen at Last?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

The African Queen at Last?

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: The African Queen at Last?

Postby stypee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Okay.. PLEASE don;t go mental on me.. I really respect the film but I just can't help it, I find this movie really, really boring!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby jcankerhuxley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Okay.. PLEASE don;t go mental on me.. I really respect the film but I just can't help it, I find this movie really, really boring!

What? are you crazy? This film has LEECHES. And Bogie covered -- IN LEECHES!

Then, at the end, that German boat blows up . . . real good.

Now that's a movie!
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 am

It's also got some of THE WORST rear-projection i've seen in my life in a major Hollywood production. Sheesh.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 am

i was actually having this same discussion with someone else who can't stand it.
Hepburn had slipped into hepburn mode some time before... basically she played versions of herself for the rest of her life.
and much the same can be said about Bogart EXCEPT that in this film.. he is not playing the standard Bogart character
he is playing as far out of his range as he ever had.
he was playing an awful scruffy boorish person and i can't think of another role he played that was THAT different.
(correction - Treasure of Sierra Madre..and you just tell me that THAT isn't watchable)
Like Wayne, he invented himself and when they played outside of themselves they were terrific.

it's a fun movie. let it go.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm

molly1216 wrote:i was actually having this same discussion with someone else who can't stand it.
Hepburn had slipped into hepburn mode some time before... basically she played versions of herself for the rest of her life.
and much the same can be said about Bogart EXCEPT that in this film.. he is not playing the standard Bogart character
he is playing as far out of his range as he ever had.
he was playing an awful scruffy boorish person and i can't think of another role he played that was THAT different.
(correction - Treasure of Sierra Madre..and you just tell me that THAT isn't watchable)
Like Wayne, he invented himself and when they played outside of themselves they were terrific.

it's a fun movie. let it go.

All true. :) If you don't like this film, consider the semi-remake- Rooster Cogburn. Now that one is boring!
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 am

I happen to enjoy it, in spite of its many flaws.

But i don't think it really fits the 'classic' status it has earned mostly due to it's unavailability (in any form resembling decent).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to DVD