Bells and Whistles

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Bells and Whistles

Postby Selk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 am

I've always been disappointed when DVDs come with no extras - that is really why I get a DVD in the first place. I want all the extra content. I was seriously disappointed in the DVD that I got of Poltergeist a while back. No "Making of" specials, no commentary, no interviews, just a trailer.

So which DVDs have the best Bells and Whistles?
"Movies are suppose to be big - If they're not big, they're television"
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Re: Bells and Whistles

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:02 pm

I like comprehensive documentaries, particularly when a film really deserves it or has an interesting production history. In other cases (the original Alien vs. Predator) the documentary can sometimes instill me with a newfound appreciation for the film.

In AVP's case, Anderson's giddy fanboy excitement to be doing this film was palpable in the documentary, and it definitely made me a fan of his, even if the film itself sort of wallows in mediocrity.

Meanwhile, there are Scott Free DVD's from Charles De Lauzirika, and there's everything else. The Alien quadrilogy, the three disc versions of Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, the Kingdom of Heaven director's cut, and the king, Blade Runner: The final cut.

These discs contain some AMAZING, all encompassing documentaries that are feature length experiences in and of themselves, and rival the very best film-based documentaries in existence.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Selk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:10 pm

I liked the DVD collection of Citizen Kane. It comes with a great presentation of the film, then a great commentary track by Roger Ebert. PLUS, it comes with the excellent documentary "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" which gave me a deeper appreciation for the film.
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:45 pm

for a while there Warner Home Video was consistently releasing 2 disc special editions which were a cut above what others were doing. - Adventures of Robin Hood, Citizen Kane, The Big Red One - The Reconstruction, the Wild Bunch, Bringing Up Baby, Easter Parade, then they started actually releasing 2 disc editions for films that didnt deserve them..and things kinda went down hill: Sand Pebbles, Space Jam, Star Trek the Motion Picture...
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm a sucker for DVD sets that come packaged as a prop from the movie. Happily sitting atop my shelves:

- Cylon Mask Battlestar Gallactica full series set
- Lament Configuration puzzle box Hellraiser set
- Bowling Ball The Big Lebowski
- Book of the Dead Evil Dead 2
- Voight-Kampf Blade Runner set - Loaded!
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Selk » Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

- Lament Configuration puzzle box Hellraiser set

Nothing beats the home shopping show on the VHS version of Hellraiser. That was classic.
- Whoopi Goldberg
Selk
City Attorney

Return to DVD