June 2010, Whatcha got?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

June 2010, Whatcha got?

Postby ccb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Burn Notice S3 bought 0100 at nearest Wal Mart.
When I find myself in times of trouble, I say 'boy, you gotta carry that weight.' I am he, you are he, you are me, we are all together, speaking words of wisdom. Come together, right now. Amen.
ccb
City Prosecutor

Re: June 2010, Whatcha got?

Postby HGervais » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Nice day...all on blu-ray....The Wolfman: Unrated, War of the Worlds, The Professionals, The Quick and the Dead and seasons 1 & 2 of Breaking Bad.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Bad Boys (Blu-ray)
War of the Worlds (Blu-ray)
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Sergio Leone Anthology: $30 @ Costco
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Continuing the trend: War of the Worlds (Blu-ray). Say what you will about the film, but the audio is reference quality and the Martian war ship's blaring horn is guaranteed to test your subwoofer. Just might be my new demo disc for Home Theater systems. Amazing. 8)
I also got Saving Private Ryan about a week ago but fell victim to the sync problem and I'm now waiting for the replacement to be sent. Bummer. :(
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:35 am

hoytereden wrote:Continuing the trend: War of the Worlds (Blu-ray). Say what you will about the film, but the audio is reference quality and the Martian war ship's blaring horn is guaranteed to test your subwoofer. Just might be my new demo disc for Home Theater systems. Amazing. 8)

I think it is a better film than a lot of critics made it out to be. There are sequences in the film where Speilberg is at the absolute height of his abilities as a director which is just another way of saying a lot of filmmakers will never come close to achieving what he did.
I also got Saving Private Ryan about a week ago but fell victim to the sync problem and I'm now waiting for the replacement to be sent. Bummer. :(

I walked right into Best Buy and got it exchanged, no questions asked.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:15 pm

HGervais wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Continuing the trend: War of the Worlds (Blu-ray). Say what you will about the film, but the audio is reference quality and the Martian war ship's blaring horn is guaranteed to test your subwoofer. Just might be my new demo disc for Home Theater systems. Amazing. 8)

I think it is a better film than a lot of critics made it out to be. There are sequences in the film where Speilberg is at the absolute height of his abilities as a director which is just another way of saying a lot of filmmakers will never come close to achieving what he did.

Yeah, I loved the movie up until Spielberg took a giant dump on viewers during the final scenes.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm

HGervais wrote:

I walked right into Best Buy and got it exchanged, no questions asked.

My wife bought it for me as a surprise (she HATES war films). Trouble was she bought it at our only Target store which is over a 100 miles away. So rather than spending time + gas I opted for the mail replacment.
Re the War of the Worlds: I really enjoyed the film and I guess my only problem was trying to figure out how in the world Tom Cruise managed to find a way to travel so easily from here to there. An airliner crashes practically on top of them and yet debris free access for Tom & co. to drive away. :lol: Nice touch though having the Gene Barry and Ann Robinson cameo at the end.
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:48 pm

I realize it is too late because you have already mailed it off but when I spoke with the Paramount rep I was told no receipt was needed for the exchange and sure enough, all I needed was the disc. It was the most hassle free exchange experience I have ever had.
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:45 pm

UP came in the mail...time to order [b]Hurt Locker....i love getting packages in the mail doesn't matter what they are.
i love packages in the mailbox.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm

HGervais wrote:I realize it is too late because you have already mailed it off but when I spoke with the Paramount rep I was told no receipt was needed for the exchange and sure enough, all I needed was the disc. It was the most hassle free exchange experience I have ever had.

I'm hoping the mail process will be the same. Everything is 2-day UPS. So far, so good.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine gave me the following Criterions:
Bicycle Thieves
and these Bergman's:
Through a Glass Darkly
The Silence
Winter Light
Persona
The Virgin Spring
Smiles of a Summer Night
Cries and Whispers
and two Ozu's:
Late Spring
Early Summer
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:58 am

Boba Fett wrote:Yeah, I loved the movie up until Spielberg took a giant dump on viewers during the final scenes.

Because it has a happy ending? come on man.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:42 pm

The Man With No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) - From Deep Discount for $41, which is far cheaper than Amazon and just about anywhere else at the moment.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:Yeah, I loved the movie up until Spielberg took a giant dump on viewers during the final scenes.

Because it had an absurd happy ending.
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Boba Fett wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

Because it had an absurd happy ending.

It's Spielberg!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby yellow ledbetter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Even a sadder Spielberg endingnever completly depresses you, unless maybe it's Munich. Just got Wolfman
yellow ledbetter
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:09 am

Grabbed my own copy of war of the worlds on blu-ray, along with some Green Day Rock Band for the 360. Not the hugest of fans, but goddamn the punk stuff is fun to play on plastic instruments.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:27 am

For the kiddies:

Peanuts '70s Collection, Volume 2
Alice in Wonderland (BD) (which I watched last night and enjoyed more than I expected I would)

I'm thinking about using a $5 DVD trade-in dealio that Best Buy is running here to blind buy Wolf Man, but I'm still on the fence.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:27 am

Dan Mancini wrote:I'm thinking about using a $5 DVD trade-in dealio that Best Buy is running here to blind buy Wolf Man, but I'm still on the fence.

Wolfman is very much a mixed bag. When it's good, it's really good but a lot of it is sound & fury going through the motions. It's a beautiful film to look at it, Rick Baker's practical effects are of course awesome but the CGI'ed sections don't work nearly as well. Del Toro is very good but I don't buy him for one second. Emily Blunt is bland but both Anthony Hopkins & Hugo Weaving are pretty good. All that siad, it's nice to see a R rated movie that isn't afraid of letting the gore fly.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 am

HGervais wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:I'm thinking about using a $5 DVD trade-in dealio that Best Buy is running here to blind buy Wolf Man, but I'm still on the fence.

Wolfman is very much a mixed bag. When it's good, it's really good but a lot of it is sound & fury going through the motions. It's a beautiful film to look at it, Rick Baker's practical effects are of course awesome but the CGI'ed sections don't work nearly as well. Del Toro is very good but I don't buy him for one second. Emily Blunt is bland but both Anthony Hopkins & Hugo Weaving are pretty good. All that siad, it's nice to see a R rated movie that isn't afraid of letting the gore fly.

Thanks, man. I think I'll wait (probably a small eternity) for Netflix to send it my way.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Space: 1999 complete series
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 pm

hoytereden wrote:I forgot to mention that a friend of mine gave me the following Criterions:
Bicycle Thieves
and these Bergman's:
Through a Glass Darkly
The Silence
Winter Light
Persona
The Virgin Spring
Smiles of a Summer Night
Cries and Whispers
and two Ozu's:
Late Spring
Early Summer

First, "Persona" is not a Criterion DVD (it's an MGM disc; Criterion has never released "Persona"). Second, can I become your friend's new best friend? :o ;-) :D

Got Robert Bresson's "Mouchette" (Criterion) and Richard Donner's "The Omen" (Blu-ray)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Mark Van Hook » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Threw down a pre-order on the Sony Film Noir Classic Collection V2 over at Deep Discount. I don't usually pre-order, but they're including it in the currently-running 25%-off sale for the too-good-to-pass-up price of $34 (a $20 reduction from Amazon's current pre-order price) so I couldn't resist.
Mark Van Hook
City Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 am

I bought, as used, 2 blu's, Coraline and Hellboy II. What a difference between them and regular DVD's.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 am

BB is having a 15 buck sale on Sony blu-rays and I picked up Moon and The Hangover.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am

Mark Van Hook wrote:Threw down a pre-order on the Sony Film Noir Classic Collection V2 over at Deep Discount. I don't usually pre-order, but they're including it in the currently-running 25%-off sale for the too-good-to-pass-up price of $34 (a $20 reduction from Amazon's current pre-order price) so I couldn't resist.

I see that In a Lonely Place has been dropped from the set and replaced with Human Desire. This must be the reason for the disappearance of V2 from Sony's release slate until recently. Are there rights issues with the film? Anybody know?

It's a shame, as it's one of the titles I was most looking forward to having. At least the set is back on schedule for release, and it's hard to complain about new Lang.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Mark Van Hook » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Mark Van Hook wrote:Threw down a pre-order on the Sony Film Noir Classic Collection V2 over at Deep Discount. I don't usually pre-order, but they're including it in the currently-running 25%-off sale for the too-good-to-pass-up price of $34 (a $20 reduction from Amazon's current pre-order price) so I couldn't resist.

I see that In a Lonely Place has been dropped from the set and replaced with Human Desire. This must be the reason for the disappearance of V2 from Sony's release slate until recently. Are there rights issues with the film? Anybody know?

It's a shame, as it's one of the titles I was most looking forward to having. At least the set is back on schedule for release, and it's hard to complain about new Lang.

The single-disc In a Lonely Place is still available, on Amazon for about $16 and in the DDD sale for $11. Any reason why you don't just buy that one? It's a good disc, with a strong transfer and some decent (if limited) extras.
Mark Van Hook
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:26 pm

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus Blu Ray
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Mark Van Hook wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

The single-disc In a Lonely Place is still available, on Amazon for about $16 and in the DDD sale for $11. Any reason why you don't just buy that one? It's a good disc, with a strong transfer and some decent (if limited) extras.

I had been holding off for the Sony set, but I may as well just buy that version now.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 am

The Terminator
The Spirit
All About Ah Long
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Jacques Tati's "Trafic" (Criterion) - I bought this from a store last week but the case was empty (no discs! :cry: ); got my money back though and used that to buy "Mouchette." Got "Trafic" from Deep Discount's 25% Off Sale.
Kevin Costner's "Open Range" (2-Disc Special Edition) - five bucks at Best Buy.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:Jacques Tati's "Trafic" (Criterion) - I bought this from a store last week but the case was empty (no discs! :cry: ); got my money back though and used that to buy "Mouchette." Got "Trafic" from Deep Discount's 25% Off Sale.
Kevin Costner's "Open Range" (2-Disc Special Edition) - five bucks at Best Buy.

Let me (us) know what you think about Trafic. I love Tati but I only got chuckles from this one not the lol's his other Hulot films gave me.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:
hoytereden wrote:I forgot to mention that a friend of mine gave me the following Criterions:
Bicycle Thieves
and these Bergman's:
Through a Glass Darkly
The Silence
Winter Light
Persona
The Virgin Spring
Smiles of a Summer Night
Cries and Whispers
and two Ozu's:
Late Spring
Early Summer

First, "Persona" is not a Criterion DVD (it's an MGM disc; Criterion has never released "Persona"). Second, can I become your friend's new best friend? :o ;-) :D

Got Robert Bresson's "Mouchette" (Criterion) and Richard Donner's "The Omen" (Blu-ray)

You're right; got carried away on Criterion. ;-)
Hooray! The UPS guy just delivered my fixed edition of Saving Private Ryan. :D Took about a week; not too bad.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm

FYI....Barnes & Noble start their summer buy two get the third free sale. Granted with thier mark-up it isn't the best deal in the world but with coupons it can be okay.
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 am

back on my dvd diet.. a couple a month is my limit.

this month the Hurt Locker, Up, and the amazon exclusive take advantage of Renner's Oscar nomication issue of the 10 episodes of the Unusuals on dvd.

I do have my eye on the complete Wire box though...anyone loan me 100 bucks? i will pay you back i swear ;-)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 am

Shutter Island (Blu-ray)
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am

Life-The BBC version (Blu-ray)
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:18 pm

All on bluray....Caddyshack, Zodiac and from Criterion, Bottle Rocket & In The Realm Of The Senses. Oh and amazon has the recent Edward Norton Hulk movie for $9.99, which I purchased but is on back order.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Via a pair of $5 DVD-to-Blu Trade-Up coupons from Best Buy: Bram Stoker's Dracula and Hellboy Animated (both on Blu, of course).
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP) - Been ages since i've bought a portable title.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Via a pair of $5 DVD-to-Blu Trade-Up coupons from Best Buy: Bram Stoker's Dracula and Hellboy Animated (both on Blu, of course).

I hope you kept the SE DVD of Dracula if you already owned it. The Blu-Ray has some serious transfer issues.
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby LarryLockyer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:10 am

Bolt(Blu)
Hidalgo(Blu)
LarryLockyer
Paralegal

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:50 am

Boba Fett wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:Via a pair of $5 DVD-to-Blu Trade-Up coupons from Best Buy: Bram Stoker's Dracula and Hellboy Animated (both on Blu, of course).

I hope you kept the SE DVD of Dracula if you already owned it. The Blu-Ray has some serious transfer issues.

I didn't own the SE DVD. Regardless, word from Zoetrope is that the Blu-ray is actually the best representation of the original release prints, and that all prior home video releases were artificially brightened and re-color timed for greater saturation. I saw the movie in the theaters in '92, but couldn't begin to tell you how the BD matches up. I'll have to take Zoetrope's word for it. In any event, the BD is nothing to write home about, but it's not a bad transfer consider all of the movie's in-camera effects and whatnot.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:25 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:

I didn't own the SE DVD. Regardless, word from Zoetrope is that the Blu-ray is actually the best representation of the original release prints, and that all prior home video releases were artificially brightened and re-color timed for greater saturation. I saw the movie in the theaters in '92, but couldn't begin to tell you how the BD matches up. I'll have to take Zoetrope's word for it. In any event, the BD is nothing to write home about, but it's not a bad transfer consider all of the movie's in-camera effects and whatnot.

Yeah, i was perfectly fine with it as well. Then again, i was shocked to hear about the controversy over The good, the Bad, and the Ugly, i thought that looked gorgeous.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:

Yeah, i was perfectly fine with it as well. Then again, i was shocked to hear about the controversy over The good, the Bad, and the Ugly, i thought that looked gorgeous.

The transfer for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was definitely DNR'd a bit in order to hide some of the grain inherent in a Techniscope flick, but it's still a gorgeous picture (given the realities of the source) -- definitely not the crime against humanity that technofile dweebs, who somehow seem to believe that all movies are made in a sphere of ideal circumstances and modern technology, claim.

My favorite instance of tech geek nonsense was some dude saying he saw The Searchers in the theater in 1956 and the color-timing on the Blu-ray does not match the original theatrical presentation (even though the dudes who created the high def master say they matched it to an earlier 35mm print than any previous home video master). Yeah, buddy, you remember exactly what hue of blue the sky was in a movie you saw over 5 decades ago. Um, no...just no.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:45 pm

The Guild Season 3
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby LarryLockyer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:59 am

Alice in Wonderland 3-disc bluray/DVD set got it for 21.99!
LarryLockyer
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:32 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:

The transfer for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was definitely DNR'd a bit in order to hide some of the grain inherent in a Techniscope flick, but it's still a gorgeous picture (given the realities of the source) -- definitely not the crime against humanity that technofile dweebs, who somehow seem to believe that all movies are made in a sphere of ideal circumstances and modern technology, claim.

My favorite instance of tech geek nonsense was some dude saying he saw The Searchers in the theater in 1956 and the color-timing on the Blu-ray does not match the original theatrical presentation (even though the dudes who created the high def master say they matched it to an earlier 35mm print than any previous home video master). Yeah, buddy, you remember exactly what hue of blue the sky was in a movie you saw over 5 decades ago. Um, no...just no.

I mean, in some instances, i can understand it (Near Dark and Pan's Labyrinth come to mind), and then there are the other times they're moaning about too much grain (300 and Minority Report). The only time you worry about a tehcnophile dweeb is when they stop bitchin. Sheesh.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dimwitted » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:14 am

Hot Fuzz (blu)
Dark City (blu)
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 pm

The Rocky Collection (Blu-Ray). Currently $30 at Costco. I debated long and hard, but the price was too much to resist.
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Next

Return to DVD