I wonder about Amazon's Recommenation logic...

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

I wonder about Amazon's Recommenation logic...

Postby Jim_Thomas » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:27 am

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated The Godfather, Part III (Widescreen Edition) have also purchased Terror, The - 1963 - Color on DVD. For this reason, you might like to know that Terror, The - 1963 - Color is now available. You can order yours for just $10.99 by following the link below.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: I wonder about Amazon's Recommenation logic...

Postby stypee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 am

I agree with you but I THINK, not 100% sure that THE TERROR had a slew of directors, one of them being Coppola, perhaps thats why you got the reccomendation.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:55 pm

stypee wrote:I agree with you but I THINK, not 100% sure that THE TERROR had a slew of directors, one of them being Coppola, perhaps thats why you got the reccomendation.

The system is probably similar to Netflix's in that it doesn't look at things like that. It just simply puts who likes what into flow charts. Netflix is surprisingly good at it and will throw up suggestions i've never heard of of genres that I wouldn't expect to like.

Try renting The Terror and see if they are right. It's not a bad movie at all.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
stypee wrote:I agree with you but I THINK, not 100% sure that THE TERROR had a slew of directors, one of them being Coppola, perhaps thats why you got the reccomendation.

The system is probably similar to Netflix's in that it doesn't look at things like that. It just simply puts who likes what into flow charts. Netflix is surprisingly good at it and will throw up suggestions i've never heard of of genres that I wouldn't expect to like.

I think Amazon just goes by a director or star.. From what I can recall, THE TERROR eventually ended up using Roger Corman's name in the director's credit but from what I remember, it had like six directors, one was even Jack Nicholson.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 am

It's all automated - Netflix and Amazon. I'm sure it simply looks for patterns. Often Amazon will reccommend me things I already own which in a way means they have a pretty good program behind the scenes. I always enjoy seeing what they think I might like. It's like putting your iPod on shuffle or something... amusing to see what "the machines" think I really want...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 am

The recommendation is probably as simple as it says it is. Jim bought The Godfather Part III, and then Amazon looked for titles commonly purchased by other people who bought The Godfather Part III and came up with The Terror. It's not saying there's a similarity between the movies, just that people who buy one, buy the other some higher-than-normal percentage of the time.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:50 pm

stypee wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

I think Amazon just goes by a director or star.. From what I can recall, THE TERROR eventually ended up using Roger Corman's name in the director's credit but from what I remember, it had like six directors, one was even Jack Nicholson.
The fun thing about The Terror--and yes, it's not a bad movie, with a great ending--is that Corman finished shooting The Raven early, Karloff and Nicholson were still available, so he wrote and filmed The Terror in the two weeks remaining before the sets were scheduled to be dismantled.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Here;s the million dollar question Jim. Is it a good recommendation? Having never heard of it would you think it was worth the 10 bucks? Netflix has spent millions on it's recommendation system, I'm sure Amazon has done similar.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:12 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Here;s the million dollar question Jim. Is it a good recommendation? Having never heard of it would you think it was worth the 10 bucks? Netflix has spent millions on it's recommendation system, I'm sure Amazon has done similar.
Here's the thing--while the movie may be good, the recommendation is only as good as the logic supporting it. For all I know, the logic went "Oh, he liked a Coppola movie; "Corman" begins with the same two letters as "Coppola", so let's suggest something by Corman.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Jim_Thomas wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:Here;s the million dollar question Jim. Is it a good recommendation? Having never heard of it would you think it was worth the 10 bucks? Netflix has spent millions on it's recommendation system, I'm sure Amazon has done similar.
Here's the thing--while the movie may be good, the recommendation is only as good as the logic supporting it. For all I know, the logic went "Oh, he liked a Coppola movie; "Corman" begins with the same two letters as "Coppola", so let's suggest something by Corman.

Again, according to the blurb you posted, the correlation is that other Amazon customers who rated or purchased Godfather III, also bought The Terror (presumably in larger than normal numbers).
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Jim_Thomas wrote:
stypee wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

The fun thing about The Terror--and yes, it's not a bad movie, with a great ending--is that Corman finished shooting The Raven early, Karloff and Nicholson were still available, so he wrote and filmed The Terror in the two weeks remaining before the sets were scheduled to be dismantled.

Yes! Now I remember that! I wrote a kick-ass paper on Corman when I was in film school... The man's a genius.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to DVD