"Ellery Queen: The Complete Series"

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

"Ellery Queen: The Complete Series"

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 pm

I found out a couple of days ago that this is due for release in September. Details on Amazon are here: http://www.amazon.com/Ellery-Queen-Complete-Jim-Hutton/dp/B003RHZ6CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278467165&sr=1-1.

I've been waiting for this one for a while; I remember watching it with my family when I was a kid. I was usually wrong guessing the murderer, as I remember. The question is, do I get a copy for myself along with the one for my Mom?
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Re: "Ellery Queen: The Complete Series"

Postby HGervais » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:03 pm

What?! What?! What!? One of THE greatest TV themes.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:19 pm

HGervais wrote:What?! What?! What!? One of THE greatest TV themes.

And one of the most beloved hooks for a TV series: the moment when Jim Hutton would say, "I know who killed (fill in the blank), " then turn to the audience and say, "Do you know who did it? Have you figured it out?"

I do have one question: does this set include the pilot film they did with a (reportedly) miscast Peter Lawford as Queen? I haven't seen it and would be interested. It should include the re-tooled pilot with Hutton, though.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Oh, that was a fun series. I think there were maybe three episodes where I correctly figured things out. The fact that I bragged about solving the mystery at school the following day probably cemented my geek credentials.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby booklover » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 am

And it only lasted for one season. NBC really dropped the ball on that one. Jim Hutton...a charming, solid actor who left us way too soon.
booklover
City Attorney

Return to DVD