best box art

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

best box art

Postby molly1216 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:31 pm

the Criterion thread reminded me of all the times i have bought dvds based on the box art alone. I have even double dipped a dvd, just to get new art. (hell i can't count how many books i have bought based on the cover illustration)

I was thinking we should do a round up of the case art you think is above and beyond. I don't mean dvds that do the film justice...like some of the warners that are reminiscent of original poster art. I am talking case art that is better than the film deserves or makes you go 'whoa'.

This is pretty freaking great.

It reminded me of one of my favorite book illustrations

This was pretty awesome..i saw the film..and i think the cover is better than it deserves

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: best box art

Postby molly1216 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:20 pm

what's wrong with this thread?

doesn't anyone have any box art that they really adore?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Boba Fett » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Awesome cover, awful movie:

Another awesome cover, but merely 'meh' movie:
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm biased, being a poster collector, towards having the poster as the cover art. Like you mentioned, the Warner's classic releases and especially the Universal Classic Monster Collection all duplicated the original poster art and I don't know how you could top that. Other than that, Criterion, by far, does the best with original artwork. I love their cover for The Testament of Dr. Mabuse and their cover for Days of Heave is much better than the one sheet poster. On the other hand-I do prefer the poster art for The Thin Red Line over their cover art. But that's just me.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:10 am

every so often (most esp with Criterion) i think someone has actually spent time THINKING about the box art.

These I think are very clever. I would prefer to have these editions on my shelf.
ImageImage

Whereas i think these are being TOO clever
The packaging doesn't sit on any shelf comfortably, attracts dust and is very easy to damage.

i used to feel this way about album covers...there were some that were a 'concept' and others that just had a photo and words slapped on.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 am

I actually got rid of my evil deads... the packages looked like ass, and i just can't get into the flicks like i used to.

There are so many cases that are either crappy photoshop slamdances or otherwise tiny poster recreations, not too many really jump out at me... but there are a few i love:

or

and of course:

But my fave is probably:

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby BenShultz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 am

This makes me wish I was more enthusiastic about the movie:

Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I actually got rid of my evil deads... the packages looked like ass, and i just can't get into the flicks like i used to.

I agree - i don't think i have watched them in a while either
...fact is human skin bindings are as hard as regular leather bindings to the cover effect is lost as soon as you touch it.

I think we are veering away from box art towards box design.
this is exquisite concept

overall HBO spends a lot of time and effort marketing their dvd collections - but their product is phenomenal and deserves great packaging.

btw Am i the only who hated the Star Trek plastic tricorder cases?
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:I actually got rid of my evil deads... the packages looked like ass, and i just can't get into the flicks like i used to.

I agree - i don't think i have watched them in a while either
...fact is human skin bindings are as hard as regular leather bindings to the cover effect is lost as soon as you touch it.

I think we are veering away from box art towards box design.
this is exquisite concept

overall HBO spends a lot of time and effort marketing their dvd collections - but their product is phenomenal and deserves great packaging.

btw Am i the only who hated the Star Trek plastic tricorder cases?

No you're not the only one.
We should do a thread on box design or packaging or whatever it's called. In regards to that-I loved the first couple of seasons of Northern Exposure with the sleeping bag packaging. Yea, that stuff doesn't go on the shelf like the others but the pay-off is... 8)
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to DVD