Holes in your DVD collection

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Holes in your DVD collection

Postby molly1216 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm

There are still a handful of movies from my childhood i need to acquire merely because i vowed to have them.
still looking for the stanley baker caper film Perfect Friday (1970)

The Print on Demand titles are filling in a few movies I had been wanting to own:
Gelbart's Cold Turkey
the Dick Van Dyke Christmas caper Fitzwilly.
The Honey Pot Mankiewicz's update on Moliere
I still need to replace my placeholder copies with POD versions of
Garbo Talks directed by Mel Brooks w/Anne Bancroft
Ruggles of Red Gap and Death Takes a Holiday

the Ron Ely Doc Savage is on POD DVD but still no sign of the 1966 Tarzan 8(

The Criterion Eclipse series would also be filing in holes in my collection
IF i could buy just the movies i want i'd get Laughton's Private Life of Henry VIII from the Korda Eclipse collection
but i refuse to pay 50 bucks just to get it.
however the GB Shaw Eclipse has three films i need for my collection Major Barbara, Caesar and Cleopatra, Androcles and the Lion so that's worth the money.

I am sure i am still missing a few movies that i can't live without owning.

anyone else?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: Holes in your DVD collection

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:18 pm

molly1216 wrote:There are still a handful of movies from my childhood i need to acquire merely because i vowed to have them.
still looking for the stanley baker caper film Perfect Friday (1970)

The Print on Demand titles are filling in a few movies I had been wanting to own:
Gelbart's Cold Turkey
the Dick Van Dyke Christmas caper Fitzwilly.
The Honey Pot Mankiewicz's update on Moliere
I still need to replace my placeholder copies with POD versions of
Garbo Talks directed by Mel Brooks w/Anne Bancroft
Ruggles of Red Gap and Death Takes a Holiday

the Ron Ely Doc Savage is on POD DVD but still no sign of the 1966 Tarzan 8(

The Criterion Eclipse series would also be filing in holes in my collection
IF i could buy just the movies i want i'd get Laughton's Private Life of Henry VIII from the Korda Eclipse collection
but i refuse to pay 50 bucks just to get it.
however the GB Shaw Eclipse has three films i need for my collection Major Barbara, Caesar and Cleopatra, Androcles and the Lion so that's worth the money.

I am sure i am still missing a few movies that i can't live without owning.

anyone else?

I got Death Takes a Holiday but I had to get the Ultimate or Gigantic or whatever it was called Meet Joe Black edition to get it. It was buried on disc 2.
A few Bergman titles like Summer With Monika, Dreams, and Illicit Interlude I really want but, correct me if I'm wrong, have never been released on dvd.
Leave It To Beaver finally got complete series status so I'll be getting that when the cash fairy comes to visit.
There's a lot more but it's more of a case of "never released" rather than "never bought."
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:52 pm

hoytereden wrote:I got Death Takes a Holiday but I had to get the Ultimate or Gigantic or whatever it was called Meet Joe Black edition to get it. It was buried on disc 2.
A few Bergman titles like Summer With Monika, Dreams, and Illicit Interlude I really want but, correct me if I'm wrong, have never been released on dvd.
Leave It To Beaver finally got complete series status so I'll be getting that when the cash fairy comes to visit.
There's a lot more but it's more of a case of "never released" rather than "never bought."

Yep i got that horrible little movie too just to get Fred March.
i haven't actually bought all those dvds yet..but i am working on it.

Indeed there are more Never released films i need to get i am just lucky a lot are now available.
What are your never releases?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dimwitted » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:55 pm

One that I'd totally forgot about... Jaws. Love to get it in BR. I wonder what the holdup is?
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:51 pm

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:I got Death Takes a Holiday but I had to get the Ultimate or Gigantic or whatever it was called Meet Joe Black edition to get it. It was buried on disc 2.

Yep i got that horrible little movie too just to get Fred March.
i haven't actually bought all those dvds yet..but i am working on it.

Indeed there are more Never released films i need to get i am just lucky a lot are now available.
What are your never releases?

Well, those Bergman titles and don't laugh The Green Slime :shock: . Pure cheese although I did get a patched together version that someone burned for me that is mostly widescreen but some scenes are P&S and the whole thing is color faded. But still, TCM never shows it WS and it's last official release was on VHS.
A lot of my stuff would be early '30s titles. One I liked (and I think I sent you) was The Last Flight. I see that its on the Warner Archive list now but I just can't do $20 for it and some other titles that have recently popped up there. Part of the problem is that I really enjoy finding obscure '30s titles (Captain Applejack anybody?) and I doubt they would warrant an official release. Oh well, that's what TCM is for.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:24 am

I'm still waiting for Paramount to release Strategic Air Command on DVD. Before you laugh me out of the park, this 1955 film was one of the first released in Vista Vision, the Paramount non-anamorphic widescreen format. Although critics gave a lukewarm reception to the film, the public loved the flying scenes and it became the Top Gun of its day, causing a 25% increase in Air Force recruitments. A proper widescreen release on Blu-Ray would be amazing, but until Paramount gets off the pot I will have to be content with my DVD bootleg with it's stunning VHS quality - arrggh!

Another movie that is out on DVD, but not in Region 1 yet is The Night My Number Came Up a great little British film about a pilot who has a dream of crashing in the mountains. As time goes on, reality gradually begins to align itself with his dream.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of Holes. I seem to remember liking it; I'll have to pick it up sometime.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Attrage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:43 pm

With a collection now surpassing 500 I pretty much have every flick I grew up with. All that remain now are a few oddities and obscure guilty-pleasures. Two that spring to mind are Enemy Territory (the one where the white yuppie gets stuck in a ghetto apartment building for a night after he ticks off a street gang that control the building, and he is helped out by the black dude that sang the Ghostbusters song), and Let’s Get Harry (a pretty woeful but nevertheless enjoyable cliché-ridden actioner from the mid-80’s where Robert Duvall helps some generic all American kid rescue his brother Mark Harmon from some generic Latin-American rebel dudes). My favourite scene by far in Let’s Get Harry is where the rag-tag bunch of would-be heroes are interviewing various mercenaries for the role of Head Badass of Bro’s Rescue Operation. My second favourite thing about Harry is that the villain is so incredibly non-threatening he winds up being comic relief. He looks like the older brother of Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Attrage wrote:With a collection now surpassing 500 I pretty much have every flick I grew up with. All that remain now are a few oddities and obscure guilty-pleasures. Two that spring to mind are Enemy Territory (the one where the white yuppie gets stuck in a ghetto apartment building for a night after he ticks off a street gang that control the building, and he is helped out by the black dude that sang the Ghostbusters song), and Let’s Get Harry (a pretty woeful but nevertheless enjoyable cliché-ridden actioner from the mid-80’s where Robert Duvall helps some generic all American kid rescue his brother Mark Harmon from some generic Latin-American rebel dudes). My favourite scene by far in Let’s Get Harry is where the rag-tag bunch of would-be heroes are interviewing various mercenaries for the role of Head Badass of Bro’s Rescue Operation. My second favourite thing about Harry is that the villain is so incredibly non-threatening he winds up being comic relief. He looks like the older brother of Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun.

ask and ye shall receive - i'm a big believer in place holders.
http://www.sell.com/22KPXH
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 am

Have a pretty large collection, but there are always a few titles I'd love to get that are still missing.

From the simply not on DVD/Blu Ray end of things, Michael Mann's THE KEEP continues to be a point of frustration.. Granted, I would like to see the film with an army of special features, but still.

I have sworn to get all of David Cronenberg's work, but I refuse to buy Scanners given the known audio problems on the disc. A Blu Ray soon perhaps? I have no such excuse for Rabid not being in my collection however.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:09 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Attrage wrote:With a collection now surpassing 500 I pretty much have every flick I grew up with. All that remain now are a few oddities and obscure guilty-pleasures. Two that spring to mind are Enemy Territory (the one where the white yuppie gets stuck in a ghetto apartment building for a night after he ticks off a street gang that control the building, and he is helped out by the black dude that sang the Ghostbusters song), and Let’s Get Harry (a pretty woeful but nevertheless enjoyable cliché-ridden actioner from the mid-80’s where Robert Duvall helps some generic all American kid rescue his brother Mark Harmon from some generic Latin-American rebel dudes). My favourite scene by far in Let’s Get Harry is where the rag-tag bunch of would-be heroes are interviewing various mercenaries for the role of Head Badass of Bro’s Rescue Operation. My second favourite thing about Harry is that the villain is so incredibly non-threatening he winds up being comic relief. He looks like the older brother of Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun.

ask and ye shall receive - i'm a big believer in place holders.
http://www.sell.com/22KPXH

Wow, thanks Molly! I thought it wasnt even released on DVD. The only thing is that website has a message saying "we are not accepting orders here at the moment" due to some paypal issue. So I will have to wait a little longer! It's fantastic to know it's available though, thanks again!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Have a pretty large collection, but there are always a few titles I'd love to get that are still missing.

From the simply not on DVD/Blu Ray end of things, Michael Mann's THE KEEP continues to be a point of frustration.. Granted, I would like to see the film with an army of special features, but still.

I have sworn to get all of David Cronenberg's work, but I refuse to buy Scanners given the known audio problems on the disc. A Blu Ray soon perhaps? I have no such excuse for Rabid not being in my collection however.

What are the audio problems? I'm a bit Cronenberg fan too, I have Scanners (Region 4 Australian release) and a home theatre set up and the audio seems fine...
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 am

Still waiting for that widescreen Split Second release. A second rate "Blade Runner meets Predator" action flick out of the UK from the early 90s starring Rutger Hauer, Kim Catrall and the criminally neglected Alistair Duncan. Was a damn fun time with some solid effects and witty writing. The fullscreen only HBO snapper case from '97 or '98 sells for a premium now, and there's an R2 German version with a widescreen transfer but I can't find any info on whether the quality merits an import (I know the cover shot of Hauer is taken from a different movie entirely... not a good sign).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 am

Steve T Power wrote:Still waiting for that widescreen Split Second release. A second rate "Blade Runner meets Predator" action flick out of the UK from the early 90s starring Rutger Hauer, Kim Catrall and the criminally neglected Alistair Duncan. Was a damn fun time with some solid effects and witty writing. The fullscreen only HBO snapper case from '97 or '98 sells for a premium now, and there's an R2 German version with a widescreen transfer but I can't find any info on whether the quality merits an import (I know the cover shot of Hauer is taken from a different movie entirely... not a good sign).

"we need bigger guns."
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:Still waiting for that widescreen Split Second release. A second rate "Blade Runner meets Predator" action flick out of the UK from the early 90s starring Rutger Hauer, Kim Catrall and the criminally neglected Alistair Duncan. Was a damn fun time with some solid effects and witty writing. The fullscreen only HBO snapper case from '97 or '98 sells for a premium now, and there's an R2 German version with a widescreen transfer but I can't find any info on whether the quality merits an import (I know the cover shot of Hauer is taken from a different movie entirely... not a good sign).

"we need bigger guns."

GREAT BIG EFFING GUNS!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Attrage wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Have a pretty large collection, but there are always a few titles I'd love to get that are still missing.

What are the audio problems? I'm a bit Cronenberg fan too, I have Scanners (Region 4 Australian release) and a home theatre set up and the audio seems fine...

The Region One apparently had problems with its audio sync being off, and I have never heard that the issue was corrected.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Attrage wrote:

The Region One apparently had problems with its audio sync being off, and I have never heard that the issue was corrected.

No apparently about it. From chapter 12 on the audio is about one second behind the action, and it was never corrected nor even acknowledged by MGM. I'd love to have a blu-ray edition. Lack is terrible in the lead, but it's still a pretty badass flick what with Ironside owning fools, shotgun-weilding hitters prowling and that sweet early-80s hi-tech corporate look to the production.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:
Attrage wrote:

Well until they release the Blu Ray maybe grab the Region 4 version. I've had it for years, watched it first on a normal TV speakers and then through my home theatre speakers. Can't recall offhand if the disc is 2.0 channel or 5.1 surround but I never had any sync issues.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:56 am

Attrage wrote:Well until they release the Blu Ray maybe grab the Region 4 version. I've had it for years, watched it first on a normal TV speakers and then through my home theatre speakers. Can't recall offhand if the disc is 2.0 channel or 5.1 surround but I never had any sync issues.

Thanks for the recomendation :). Unfortunatly, I don't have a region free player, which means I am stuck with the limited number of times I can watch a disc from another region on my laptop.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to DVD