Deadwood on Blu!

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Deadwood on Blu!

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:58 pm

It's up for pre-order on Amazon. (no release date though :( ) The complete series for $147. I'm in. :D
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: Deadwood on Blu!

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:31 pm

I'll drink to that!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dave Ryan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 am

The picture quality on the SD discs is so good, I don't really see a need to upgrade. Good option if you don't own the regular set, though, I suppose....
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Dave Ryan wrote:The picture quality on the SD discs is so good, I don't really see a need to upgrade. Good option if you don't own the regular set, though, I suppose....

You're technically right, but I have a feeling I'll be upgrading anyway. Curse my HD addiction...
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:22 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Dave Ryan wrote:The picture quality on the SD discs is so good, I don't really see a need to upgrade. Good option if you don't own the regular set, though, I suppose....

You're technically right, but I have a feeling I'll be upgrading anyway. Curse my HD addiction...

I dumbed my SD versions (along with Rome) as soon as both series were rumored to be coming (so as to maximize profits!) Of course that failed when Deadwood didn't materialize alongside Rome like the rumor mill had stated it would... F**cking C**ks**kers!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Future Man » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:30 pm

The language ruined the show for me. Then I heard the creator give a #%$*@ interview or commentary or whatnot and it all came perfectly clear.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 pm

First off all the language is accurate depiction of the way the people spoke. If bad words put you off by all means walk away but you are missing out on a certain kind of poetry that while certainly profane is also kind of beautiful. Any actor I know worth their salt would kill to speak that kind of writing.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Future Man » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm

HGervais wrote:First off all the language is accurate depiction of the way the people spoke. If bad words put you off by all means walk away but you are missing out on a certain kind of poetry that while certainly profane is also kind of beautiful. Any actor I know worth their salt would kill to speak that kind of writing.

You will never convince me that the word "strange" was ever employed as a noun back then. Be that as it may, by your logic all westerns should be rife with sixteen letter words, since otherwise they fall short in depicting the way people routinely spoke at the time. As for the poetic and beautiful, Shakespeare has a way with salty descriptions that are undeniably poetic and beautiful despite their subject matter. The dialogue in this show I see not so much as poetic and beautiful as crass and juvenile.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Deadwood took the language of the gutter, much David Mamet, and elevated it to something else entirely. That you find it crass & juvenile is probably the most unsurprising opinion I will read for the next few days.

On a David Milch note, HBO takes Milch & Mann's racetrack pilot, Luck, to series.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I never owned the DVD set. Hell; I've never seen it but it's a western and I've deliberately resisted buying it until the Blu-ray was available. Really looking forward to this.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:10 pm

For my money, Deadwood featured some of the most consistently compelling dialogue in the history of television. Full of profanity, but poetic and musical in its construction. It owes a lot to Mamet, but it's in a category all its own. While I don't think it's terribly realistic in terms of how people spoke in the old west (not so much the specific words as the order in which they are delivered), I could listen to the characters on that show just sit around and talk for hours on end.
cdouglas
Judge

Return to DVD