The ones that got away

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

The ones that got away

Postby Jon Mercer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am

Let's take a moment to talk about DVDs, Blu-Rays, Cassettes, Laser Discs; movies in general that for whatever reason; be it lack of funds, or your local stores just not getting that title in, that we've let slip through our fingers. The titles that went forgotten and now we can't attain without bankrupting a small country to afford what the collector's market thinks we should be paying. Who knows, maybe with our combined efforts we can help one another out.

Lupin the 3rd Movie Pack: First Haul - I found the second Funimation movie pack, Final Haul at HMV a couple of years ago. I can enjoy some Lupin-style fun every now and again so i picked it up. I also had the store order me in a copy of First Haul. Now my local HMV being the den of inequity it was back in 2004-2007, I never heard tell about First Haul again. Recently I caught a trailer for one of the Lupin DVDs on an anime box set I was finally getting around to checking out and was reminded. When I checked it out online, I discovered that it commands a ridiculous asking price on both Amazon and Ebay. Good times.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Re: The ones that got away

Postby Bill Treadway » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:50 am

Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 1. By the time I got into collecting the Treasures tins, this title was long OOP. It commands prices of $50-$300 on such places as amazon, eBay and half.com. At this point, I'd even take a DVD-R copy just to have these shorts..

The Complete Goofy . See above entry.
Bill Treadway
City Attorney

Postby Ptolemy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 am

Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

Was produced in a limited run that sold out within a week of release. I see a used copy available at Amazon for $90.00 right now. This is the cheapest I've seen it in months.
Elvis Presley was a model citizen. I've compiled a list of his traits for you to practice. Number one...is dancing!
Ptolemy
City Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:28 am

The Anchor Bay Supergirl Limited Edition (Stop Laughing!) from years back. Was in highschool/university and didn't have the funds.

Also, in hindsight, Anchor Bay's collection of the Dalek films would have been nice (have the region two version, but I don't have a region 2 player, so I have to be careful watching on my computer before it locks the region).

Andof course, the Criterion Ran is part of that list, as is The Third Man
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:30 pm

On the DVD side: Some of the Disney tins got away but the one I really wanted was Tomorrowland. I had the recalled edition of Swamp Thing right in the palms of my Barbeau lovin' hands on a couple (no pun intended ;-) ) of occasions w/o buying. I finally did get a used copy for about $35. Ouch!

On the Video Game side: I ordered a copy of Radiant Silvergun from a site that always advertised in Game Fan magazine. Reasonable price, about $60. It was back ordered; no problem, would be shipped when they came in. Store went out of business before that happened.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Ptolemy wrote:Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

Was produced in a limited run that sold out within a week of release. I see a used copy available at Amazon for $90.00 right now. This is the cheapest I've seen it in months.

I never pick the right titles to buy multiples of.
Future Man
County Attorney

Return to DVD