What DVDs do you think are best suited to watch on a 3D TV ?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

What DVDs do you think are best suited to watch on a 3D TV ?

Postby BDuncan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:13 am

Even if you think 3D TVs are a dumb gimmick, what films or TV shows on DVD and/or Blu Ray,
do you think are best suited to being seen on a 3D TV and please say why, for anything mentioned.
BDuncan
Law Clerk

Re: What DVDs do you think are best suited to watch on a 3D TV ?

Postby BrettCullum » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 am

Basically anything MADE for that format. I would think FRIDAY THE 13th 3-D, JAWS 3-D, that SAW chapter that was in 3-D. I can't imagine it will help much with simply regular movies, but ones that are meant to be are an easy cop out choice.

I would get excited if they gave you a chance to watch something like MOULIN ROUGE in 3-D... anything with over the top sets and production design. But you'd have to have the filmmakers come in and remaster the picture. It could be fun if done right.

But yes, it's a gimmick. I don't think 3-D TVs will catch on to the point where they will be everywhere. But as a fan of the format... sounds like fun.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 pm

BrettCullum wrote:But yes, it's a gimmick. I don't think 3-D TVs will catch on to the point where they will be everywhere.

Video games.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Bingo. Having seen Gran Turismo 5 running on a high end Bravia set in 3D, I was simply astounded by what they've done with it. It actually does add to the gameplay, I see it as more than a novelty, particularly with big guns like Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 implementing it.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby stypee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 pm

My roommate has a massive Samsung 3D TV and I'm not all THAT impressed. I will say that DIRECT TV'S 3D channel does offer some very interesting and well done 3D flicks.. We watched one the other night that was VERY, VERY well done in every aspect, really enjoyed it.. It was originally an IMAX feature about dinasours titled DINASOURS:PATAGOICA (something like that, it was called "Dinasours: (something) - wow, check out my awesome spelling!).. 3D has been VERY hit or miss in both theatres and other platforms and I agree with Brett, if it was meant to be 3D than it's going to work, if it was an after-thought to get more dollars from the audience, don't bother!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to DVD