dvd collection software

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

dvd collection software

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm

i really need to do a years end inventory

as anyone got a freeware dvd collection software that they can recommend?
thanks
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: dvd collection software

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 pm

i think i answered my own question
so far this one is working swell
http://download.cnet.com/Coollector-Mov ... ?tag=mncol
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dimwitted » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm using DVD Profiler and it works fine. Fairly popular, too.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Dimwitted wrote:I'm using DVD Profiler and it works fine. Fairly popular, too.

$30 doesn't seem as steep as all the other ones i have looked at.
thanks
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dimwitted » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 pm

You can pay for DVD Pro if you want but it works just fine without it. Earlier versions had quantity limits but that's not the case anymore. Sure, the images aren't hi rez but I don't care.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:07 am

Can you manually add titles that aren't in Coollector's database? My biggest beef with DVD Aficianado (and most other cataloging sites) is that if it ain't in their dB, you're s.o.l.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:00 am

Dan Mancini wrote:Can you manually add titles that aren't in Coollector's database? My biggest beef with DVD Aficianado (and most other cataloging sites) is that if it ain't in their dB, you're s.o.l.

DVDAficionado also has a horribly awkward submissions system.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:21 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:Can you manually add titles that aren't in Coollector's database? My biggest beef with DVD Aficianado (and most other cataloging sites) is that if it ain't in their dB, you're s.o.l.

and a grotesque looking layout.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:48 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I still miss DVDSpot
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I still miss DVDSpot

Every damn day.

Hell - I still miss Guzzlefish!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dimwitted » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:27 pm

With Profiler you can add by UPC, title or by the disc itself. I've the latter the least reliable. As in, it sucks. Oh well. You can manually add to your list but an unregistered copy won't allow you to upload to the db. It's pretty good but the more obscure takes time. Right now I've manually added True Grit BR because there still isn't an entry for Tues release.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 pm

<sigh>....DVD Spot.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 am

HGervais wrote:<sigh>....DVD Spot.

i agree. :cry:
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I messed around with the demo version of this "Collectorz" software, and that seemed extremely cool. Dug the iPod Touch/iPhone companion app as well - but man it's costly stuff.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 pm

I liked Profiler because I could use a Cue Cat to scan the barcodes. Even though Radio Shack supposedly had them locked down someone found a way to make them work without any hardware hacks. Of course those days are gone. Good luck finding a cue cat now.

Strangely enough I have no idea what happened to mine. I know I grabbed one as soon as possible knowing a barcode scanner would one day come in handy. Saddly mine was the old style that hooked up to a keyboard serial port.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Delicious Library 2. Incredibly easy to import, customize details, etc. Nice "virtual shelf" layout. Tracks movies, books, CDs, vinyl, toys, tools, apparel, software, video games, gadgets, and can display them separately, together, whatever. Right clicking lets you instantly search for cover art through Google images, without having to type out the title. You can then drag any image straight onto the item to change the art. The shelf is scalable so you can see the immensity of your collection in a massive screen of tiny objects, or zoom right in to just a couple of titles. Did I mention that you can scan barcodes in via your webcam? And speech recognition.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 am

And it's only for Mac. Which rules out a ton of people.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 am

Steve T Power wrote:And it's only for Mac. Which rules out a ton of people.

Yes. Yes it is.

*nods off to DL2's soothing phonetic mangling of "Allegheny Uprising by William A. Seiter"*
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:And it's only for Mac. Which rules out a ton of people.

Yes. Yes it is.

*nods off to DL2's soothing phonetic mangling of "Allegheny Uprising by William A. Seiter"*

Found MediaMan, which seems to be a pretty much spot on Windows clone. Messed around ever so slightly with it, and it seems like a viable option.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 am

did anyone find an iphone app where the dvds can be scanned into the collection?

thanks
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am

molly1216 wrote:did anyone find an iphone app where the dvds can be scanned into the collection?

thanks

The DVD Profiler and iCollect Movies apps both support UPC scanning. The free version of iCollect only allows you to scan 20 movies (but the full version costs 3 clams, versus 9 clams for Profiler). I haven't used either, so I don't know how well they work.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:32 pm

thanks dan, i will try icollect
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am

molly1216 wrote:thanks dan, i will try icollect

I just took the 3-dollar plunge myself (because I couldn't take DVD Aficionado's hideous UI anymore). It works great. Transferred my collection in no time using the bulk scan option on the iPhone, registered for a free account at icollectmedia.com, and everything synced over in a snap so I have a backup if anything dire happens to the phone.

For anyone interested, the web site looks like a solid DVD Spot/Guzzlefish replacement even if you don't have a smartphone. It lets you catalog movies, music, books, video games, and comic books on separate tabs.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
molly1216 wrote:thanks dan, i will try icollect

I just took the 3-dollar plunge myself (because I couldn't take DVD Aficionado's hideous UI anymore). It works great. Transferred my collection in no time using the bulk scan option on the iPhone, registered for a free account at icollectmedia.com, and everything synced over in a snap so I have a backup if anything dire happens to the phone.

For anyone interested, the web site looks like a solid DVD Spot/Guzzlefish replacement even if you don't have a smartphone. It lets you catalog movies, music, books, video games, and comic books on separate tabs.

I dare not try bulk scan...i am doing them one at a time as i am finding that i practically have to edit every third disc..the bar code scanner is wonky but it does beat the hell out of entering each one.

So far i like it i needed to get a handle on my collection since i had sold off a bunch of items and i want to cull it even more. but i also want to add specific items in specific spots. I am ticked off because it doesn't have a WRITER field either...none of the applications do. it's stupid.

I am finding that i have dumped a lot of US tv shows but i have doubled my collection of UK shows and discs. I guess if i can easily rent something or find it to watch online i don't have the urge to keep it.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby harposboy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

The thing I miss most about DVDSpot was the stats page, which showed your most collected genres, decades, actors, directors, etc, and you could search your own collection by each of those fields. I've yet to find a program that has those features.
"I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet." -Lillian Gish

"La-di-da, la-di-da, la-la" - Diane Keaton as Annie Hall

Why I'm poor and skinny
harposboy
Law Clerk

Postby Proteus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Molly, et al,

I'm temporarily back from the dead to wholeheartedly recommend looking at itrackmine.com. It does a great deal of good things, and with the addition of a cheap barcode scanner, makes managing my collection incredibly simple. If you've maintained your exportes collection from those sites of yesteryear, you can use the template to bulk upload your collection with 90+% accuracy. The custom lists, personal IDs, date-watched and adate acquired fields make it simple to organize and reorganize with ease. The property-loss report is invaluable when you need it, and impressive even when you don't. The lending feature has let me feel much better in letting my dumb brother ransack my collection. And the RSS feed and the ability to share my online collection easily has been impressively useful.

It took only a couple weeks of using it to get myself the barcode scanner, but it took a bunch of months to start using its other features, to keep track of my books and stuff - it supports music, wine, electronics, essentially anything with a UPC. The founders are very responsive to questions & concerns, and the only thing better than the incredible ease-of-use is the cost (i.e. 0). There are some other similar services, but I haven't found anything I've been as happy with - including DVDSpot and the rest of them.

EDIT - @harposboy - not exactly the same, but you can use the collection filters to search through and/or the expanded spreadsheets to sort by actor/director/genre, etc. Stats aren't an issue for me, but I can see how that might be something left desired a bit.

Fæstædær fendzystæm.
We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak.
O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath --
America will be!
Proteus
Law Clerk

Postby HGervais » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Proteus...good to see you around.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:44 pm

HGervais wrote:Proteus...good to see you around.

Ditto harposboy.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:Proteus...good to see you around.

Ditto harposboy.

Double ditto.
HGervais
Judge

Postby harposboy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm

thanks everyone.

Agreed, the stats are just of interest. I have a massive collection and as a film student it was very handy to just be able to click on a name and see exactly what I have by or with that person. A lot easier than scrolling through imdb credit lists (which for some people is hundreds of titles...) or search filters
"I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet." -Lillian Gish

"La-di-da, la-di-da, la-la" - Diane Keaton as Annie Hall

Why I'm poor and skinny
harposboy
Law Clerk

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 am

Took the plunge on Collectorz (1/2 price sale is good!) and the matching Android app - So far it's pretty damned awesome I must say. Now I just need a weekend to get everything entered.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm

i have been using icollect movies pro for a while and it's basic in its abilities
but i am happy with it.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icollect ... 87869?mt=8

i don't need a lot of search features
i have all the movie keywords, cast, categories etc in my head
i only needed it to tell me what i HAD and what i didn't
so its doing its job.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Return to DVD