Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby hoytereden » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Happy New Year all!

Rome: Seasons 1 and 2-(Blu-ray)
Showgirls-(Blu-ray)
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1092
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 am

Stanley Kubrick's THE KILLING (Criterion Blu-ray)
Wes Anderson's RUSHMORE (Criterion Blu-ray)
Hal Ashby's LOOKIN' TO GET OUT: EXTENDED EDITION
(the last one only $2.49 on amazon... all purchased through the Verdict's amazon links!) :)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
User avatar
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Put in a UK order for some region-free blu-rays.

Sunrise: A Tale of Two Humans
The Beyond
La Silence de la Mer
A Bay of Blood
Red Heat
Formerly chamucamel
User avatar
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 pm

A nearby Blockbuster is having a moving sale (suprisingly not a closing sale), so stocking up on some Blu Rays:

Zombieland
Winged Migration
The Social Network
Slumdog Millionaire
Observe & Report

+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm

the Good, the Bad and the Wierd
Sweet Smell of Success Criterion
In the Electric Mist
Memories of Murder
The Departed
2 Disc
Watchmen Directors Cut
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby hoytereden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 am

Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (Blu-ray)-Blind buy but what's not to like about anything with Steve Buscemi? Speaking of blind buys-Opinions of Six Feet Under? Walmart has the dvd season sets for $15 apiece so I'm tempted but would like some opinions from you guys. Thanks.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1092
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Paul Kile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

hoytereden wrote:Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (Blu-ray)-Blind buy but what's not to like about anything with Steve Buscemi? Speaking of blind buys-Opinions of Six Feet Under? Walmart has the dvd season sets for $15 apiece so I'm tempted but would like some opinions from you guys. Thanks.


Hey hoytereden,
My wife and I slogged our way through the entire series during its first run. On the one hand, the first year or two were novel, but we got hooked into it as is the case with a successful evening soap. When it was all over I looked back and thought "Why did we waste our time with it all?"
The final episode was interesting to watch, as it traced the future deaths of all the main characters.
I wouldn't spend that much, but it's all what you enjoy. I would spend $100 on a full remastered Blu-ray of Strategic Air Command, but I'm probably one of the few who would...hence it will never happen!
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby hoytereden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Paul Kile wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (Blu-ray)-Blind buy but what's not to like about anything with Steve Buscemi? Speaking of blind buys-Opinions of Six Feet Under? Walmart has the dvd season sets for $15 apiece so I'm tempted but would like some opinions from you guys. Thanks.


Hey hoytereden,
My wife and I slogged our way through the entire series during its first run. On the one hand, the first year or two were novel, but we got hooked into it as is the case with a successful evening soap. When it was all over I looked back and thought "Why did we waste our time with it all?"
The final episode was interesting to watch, as it traced the future deaths of all the main characters.
I wouldn't spend that much, but it's all what you enjoy. I would spend $100 on a full remastered Blu-ray of Strategic Air Command, but I'm probably one of the few who would...hence it will never happen!


Thanks Paul. I'm on the fence on this one since, on the one hand, it would be a $75 investment for the full set but on the other, the price per season is really good. Decisions, decisions. :?
Good luck on that remastered edition of SAC. ;-)
Have you seen the trailer for Red Tails? The CGI air battles look really cool but the dialogue makes me cringe. "How you like that, Mr. Hitler!?" :o Ouch!
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1092
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 am

Here I go now upgrading my favorites to Blu-Ray. It starts out where I say I'll just do this for my favorites, and before I know it I'll have 500 Blu-Rays.

So I got
The Crow
The Big Lebowski
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 pm

....then Robocop and The Last Starfighter Blu-Rays came in the mail too.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Mission: Impossible 1-3 Blu-Ray set. $20 at Barnes & noble.
Got LOtR extended edtion on Blu-Ray for Christmas.

That was about it; money's been a bit tight of late.
Jim_Thomas
Judge
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby HGervais » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Super 8, Moneyball & The Guard. Good haul.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
User avatar
HGervais
Judge
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Greater New Orleans

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Jon Mercer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm

It's been a while.

Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1 - 3
Community Seasons 1 and 2
First Squad: The Moment of Truth - Blu-ray
Redline - Blu-ray
Ocean's Eleven - Blu-ray
User avatar
Jon Mercer
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am
Location: St. John's, NL

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Jon Mercer wrote:First Squad: The Moment of Truth - Blu-ray
Redline - Blu-ray

I've been eying these as the release date approached. First Squad looks especially cool. Let me know what you think of them.
Formerly chamucamel
User avatar
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Jon Mercer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:First Squad: The Moment of Truth - Blu-ray
Redline - Blu-ray

I've been eying these as the release date approached. First Squad looks especially cool. Let me know what you think of them.


Duly noted. To tell you the truth I was shocked to see them at Best Buy.
User avatar
Jon Mercer
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am
Location: St. John's, NL

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby mavrach » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Went back to the Blockbuster moving sale. Now their Blu-rays are $5.99 each so I got:

Predator
Moon
Legend of the Guardians
A History of Violence
Gran Torino
Taken: Extended Cut
Total Recall
The Descent: Unrated Cut
Drag Me to Hell


I'm trying to make it a rule to only upgrade my favorites to Blu and cut down on the blind buys, but I got Ponyo as well since I consider Miyazaki to be a sure thing.

This rule should limit my purchasing. That kinda sounds like the rule I had when I started buying DVD's, now I have 1300 of those....
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm

mavrach wrote:I'm trying to make it a rule to only upgrade my favorites to Blu and cut down on the blind buys, but I got Ponyo as well since I consider Miyazaki to be a sure thing.

Watched it last night. I wasn't sure going in, but it might just be my favorite Miyazaki now.
Formerly chamucamel
User avatar
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

mavrach wrote:I'm trying to make it a rule to only upgrade my favorites to Blu and cut down on the blind buys...This rule should limit my purchasing. That kinda sounds like the rule I had when I started buying DVD's, now I have 1300 of those....

Amen brother! When a movie I already own on DVD presents itself to me cheap on Blu-ray I try to remember when/if I last saw it on DVD. If the answer is unknown or too long ago then the movie's not worth upgrading to BD, and I pass. When it's sure things like "Pulp Fiction" or "Clerks" though (and the price is low-enough) a BD upgrade is not only mandatory but also most welcomed by my tiring eyesight (will turn 40 early next year). :cry:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
User avatar
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby mavrach » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:
mavrach wrote:I'm trying to make it a rule to only upgrade my favorites to Blu and cut down on the blind buys...This rule should limit my purchasing. That kinda sounds like the rule I had when I started buying DVD's, now I have 1300 of those....

Amen brother! When a movie I already own on DVD presents itself to me cheap on Blu-ray I try to remember when/if I last saw it on DVD. If the answer is unknown or too long ago then the movie's not worth upgrading to BD, and I pass. When it's sure things like "Pulp Fiction" or "Clerks" though (and the price is low-enough) a BD upgrade is not only mandatory but also most welcomed by my tiring eyesight (will turn 40 early next year). :cry:


That's what I've been trying to guage by lately. There's a difference between liking a movie and actually watching it. I'm trying to buy more practically. Trying.

I used to blind buy so often. I'd buy a lot of movies that I wasn't necessarily interested in seeing, but that I'd force myself to watch. That found me a load of great movies, but that's how my big unwatched pile began. Netflix has taken the place of that blind exploration, and it's much cheaper.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Attrage » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Almost Famous - blu ray "bootleg edition"
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby molly1216 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Finally got my Nothing Sacred Kino...still grainy..but the timing on the two strip technicolor is awesome.
worth the double dip.
Wings I think i have an asian copy as a place holder, now where is Greed?
Inglorious Bastards 2 disc
live free of die hard 2 disc...i felt like watching things blow up for a while tonight
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Attrage » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm

molly1216 wrote:live free of die hard 2 disc...i felt like watching things blow up for a while tonight


And don't we all have nights like that sometimes.

You just reminded me I'm watching The Bourne Identity "Explosive Extended Edition" the other day and they had this intro bit with the producer Frank Marshall talking about how the movie was due to be released around 9/11/01. He said something that struck me as really odd - he said "Ok, so we realised we've reached a point in history after 9/11 where there will be no more explosions in movies, ever."

I found that such an odd thing to say. I mean, obviously, he was speaking in the wake of 9/11 and obviously a good few directors um, never got that memo...anyway, your post reminded me of it. :?
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby molly1216 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:25 am

Attrage wrote:
molly1216 wrote:live free of die hard 2 disc...i felt like watching things blow up for a while tonight

And don't we all have nights like that sometimes.
You just reminded me I'm watching The Bourne Identity "Explosive Extended Edition" the other day and they had this intro bit with the producer Frank Marshall talking about how the movie was due to be released around 9/11/01. He said something that struck me as really odd - he said "Ok, so we realised we've reached a point in history after 9/11 where there will be no more explosions in movies, ever."

I found that such an odd thing to say. I mean, obviously, he was speaking in the wake of 9/11 and obviously a good few directors um, never got that memo...anyway, your post reminded me of it. :?

I stopped at "explosive extended edition" and now i am wondering WHY i don't HAVE THAT?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby Attrage » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:22 am

molly1216 wrote:
Attrage wrote:
molly1216 wrote:live free of die hard 2 disc...i felt like watching things blow up for a while tonight

And don't we all have nights like that sometimes.
You just reminded me I'm watching The Bourne Identity "Explosive Extended Edition" the other day and they had this intro bit with the producer Frank Marshall talking about how the movie was due to be released around 9/11/01. He said something that struck me as really odd - he said "Ok, so we realised we've reached a point in history after 9/11 where there will be no more explosions in movies, ever."

I found that such an odd thing to say. I mean, obviously, he was speaking in the wake of 9/11 and obviously a good few directors um, never got that memo...anyway, your post reminded me of it. :?

I stopped at "explosive extended edition" and now i am wondering WHY i don't HAVE THAT?


It has some decent extras (not sure how many ported from original DVD release) but as far as the "explosive extended-ness" goes, it is really just a short prologue and epilogue that bookend the film. Having watched both versions I prefer the theatrical cut.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Jan. '12-What did you buy?

Postby molly1216 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Attrage wrote:
molly1216 wrote:
Attrage wrote:
molly1216 wrote:live free of die hard 2 disc...i felt like watching things blow up for a while tonight

And don't we all have nights like that sometimes.
You just reminded me I'm watching The Bourne Identity "Explosive Extended Edition" the other day and they had this intro bit with the producer Frank Marshall talking about how the movie was due to be released around 9/11/01. He said something that struck me as really odd - he said "Ok, so we realised we've reached a point in history after 9/11 where there will be no more explosions in movies, ever."

I found that such an odd thing to say. I mean, obviously, he was speaking in the wake of 9/11 and obviously a good few directors um, never got that memo...anyway, your post reminded me of it. :?

I stopped at "explosive extended edition" and now i am wondering WHY i don't HAVE THAT?


It has some decent extras (not sure how many ported from original DVD release) but as far as the "explosive extended-ness" goes, it is really just a short prologue and epilogue that bookend the film. Having watched both versions I prefer the theatrical cut.

oh i remember that edition, it's the one released before the release of the second movie..all it has extra is really the trailer
thanks
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma


Return to DVD

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests