Gay Themed Movies

Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

Gay Themed Movies

Postby andy2012 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:46 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to see if there are other fans of gay themed movies.

I have been a huge fan for several years, which is why I started a website that has ratings and reviews of gay themed films. You can find the site here: http://GayFilmMagazine.com

The is a non-profit site by the way, so there are no advertisements, no endorsements and I am not trying to sell anything either. It's just a site by a film fan for other film fans. So if you like, I am always happy about new visitors, and please leave some comments if you like :-)

Best,
Andy
andy2012
Law Clerk

Re: Gay Themed Movies

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:30 am

Hey Andy!

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your own site. We review a ton of these titles here at the VERDICT. It's a tough genre to slog through sometimes because like all movies some are great while the bulk of many are ... well... not so great. But what I love is that it is a unique voice in cinema that often makes political statements just by showing up.

What are your favorites by the way?
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby andy2012 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:51 am

Hey Brett,
thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I have seen that many films have been reviewed at DVDVerdict too. I actually write an e-mail and asked if I may quote from these reviews from time to time on my site but haven't heard back from them yet.
I still need to see (and review) a lot of films but my favorites so far are:
1. Prayers For Bobby
2. Shelter
3. Watercolors
4. Edge of Seventeen
5. Milk

Best,
Andy
andy2012
Law Clerk

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I wrote a lot of the gay reviews on the site, and would not mind you quoting me at all. I'm sure most all of us would be terribly flattered as long as you gave us credit.

I would be hard pressed to tell you my all-time favorites, but here are some I enjoy a lot:

MYSTERIOUS SKIN - I love Gregg Araki, and MYSTERIOUS SKIN is his most coherent and accomplished work. It's very moving, and I loved it.

GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS - Starring three of the most twisted drag queens who play it all "straight". Has to be seen to be believed.

TARNATION - Just a beautifully done life story about being gay and dealing with a parent who is mentally ill.

BUT I'M A CHEERLEADER - The one where they send the girl to a Christian camp to "cure" her of being a lesbian.

NEVERLAND - A gay retelling of PETER PAN

PARIS IS BURNING - The ultimate documentary of the drag balls in Harlem.

I'm sure I will kick myself in about five minutes thinking of more...
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Oh crap!
Here's one...

MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO!
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to DVD